Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Jovus

Default Re: Spaceships and ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
What he's suggesting is that, for spaceships with RoF over 100, you multiply the Margin of Success by RoF/100 to determine number of hits. In other words, RoF 200 gives 2 hits per MoS/Rcl, RoF 300 gives 3 hits per MoS/Rcl, etc. If doing this, I'd also cap the Rapid Fire to-hit bonus at RoF 100. Otherwise, you'd have effective hit rate go up at RoF 200+.
Exactly, and exactly - you need a cap for ROF bonus.

...or, y'know, not, for your Spaceships/Black Ops game.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
If you wanted a more cinematic game where more bullets hit for high RoF guns, figure out how many bullets hit per recoil interval by dividing RoF by n.
For independently firing elements in a battery, the RoF rules aren't realistic at all in the first place (it's really a misuse of them; which I think contributes to the whole "rapid-fire is broken" crowd). A solution that results in more hits isn't cinematic.

Really, I don't see why you don't just have the mean number of shots hit. Take the percent chance of success (using the RoF bonus of a single gun) and multiply it by the number of shots. There's a complication there with PD, but I'm not sure that the PD rules aren't themselves deeply flawed. I guess you could throw in a randomizer that results in the expected number of hits within 1-2 standard deviations.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting here, but it sounds very strange.
His suggestion is to increase the number of shots that will hit to truly massive RoF rates.

So for example if you were firing with a RoF 200 and succeed by 5 (and your enemy failed to dodge)- you would normally hit with 5 shots, the remaining 195 going elsewhere.

If you were going 'number of hits per MoS== RoF/100 min 1' then you would hit with 10 shots (200/100 = 2, MoS = 5, 5*2 = 10).

I am not endorsing or decrying the approach, just clarifying.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rof, spaceships