Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
Racer

Default Re: Grasshopers

Not got my books here with me : would a CA Frame make that Hovver Hopper much more expensive ? At least you haven't got Chassis or Suspension cost increases to worry about I suppose ?

My Hover Jet design - Std. Hover , HD Power Plant - used CA Frame . Only Hover I ever designed with Acceleration of 20mph (thanks to Turbo Fans - & top speed of about 290mph . It was even faster before they changed the Hover top speed formula to the same as that for Cars ...

[Edit] +$6,900 to give Small Hover a CA Frame . Plus cost of extra Armour/Equipment of course .

Last edited by Racer; 10-20-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #12
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Photo's of 'The Beast' Mk1 & Mk2 on Tumblr . The Rolls Royce's Meteor (Merlin) engined , Rolls Royce grilled (Mk1 only) custom car :

https://carnutter.tumblr.com/post/17...e-early-1970ss

It overtook a family friend in his E-Type Jaguar , on a British motorway circa. 1980 .
I like that man Moxy!
Old 10-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #13
swordtart

Quote:
Not got my books here with me : would a CA Frame make that Hovver Hopper much more expensive ? At least you haven't got Chassis or Suspension cost increases to worry about I suppose ?

My Hover Jet design - Std. Hover , HD Power Plant - used CA Frame . Only Hover I ever designed with Acceleration of 20mph (thanks to Turbo Fans - & top speed of about 290mph . It was even faster before they changed the Hover top speed formula to the same as that for Cars ...

[Edit] +$6,900 to give Small Hover a CA Frame . Plus cost of extra Armour/Equipment of course .
It was 36K already, so an additional $9000 on a $3000 wouldn't make much difference and an extra 1300lb would be nice.

Unfortunately Grasshopper is seems to be written as a modification to the body. If that is true then the additional cost would be 54K!

"that would be an ecumenical matter"
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #14
Racer

But then I'd say it would surly affect price of Chassis & Suspension ? I see it more as an 'Addition' - like Sloped Armour , Extra Power Cells or Spoiler&Airdam etc ?
The CWC 2.5 Stormhawk Luxury Triphibian's Grasshopper modification is unaffected by it's CA Frame . Otherwise those two combined would be $60K alone .
Old 10-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #15
swordtart

Quote:
But then I'd say it would surly affect price of Chassis & Suspension ? I see it more as an 'Addition' - like Sloped Armour , Extra Power Cells or Spoiler&Airdam etc ?
The CWC 2.5 Stormhawk Luxury Triphibian's Grasshopper modification is unaffected by it's CA Frame . Otherwise those two combined would be $60K alone .
Top job Racer. I couldn't disagree with your rationale, but the description in the helo design section words read different. But if you have a canon example you will win me to your argument every time*.

Sold to the man in the Union Flag waistcoat.

*Unless I don't want to of course :)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:43 AM   #16
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
Can I ask what people think of Grass hoppers?
Perfect for RP campaigns, worthless in competition mode play.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:38 AM   #17
Racer

Sometimes useful as an aerial scout for large & well equipped convoys . Tow it behind a Bus or large Truck Trailer . Can be ready to go in about 30 seconds - as opposed to 15 minutes for Stowaway Helicopters or X minutes for converting a Carplane from trailer mode .

Add a large Cluster Bomb to wreak a Cycle/Trike gangs hideout , and it can pay for itself in vehicles destroyed in one mission .

A Powered Glider or VTOL Microplane can fulfil same roll , but costs about the same & either needs an airfield or good locations to recharge whilst on scouting patrols .
Can't really tow a plane on the Road either ...
Old 10-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #18
swordtart

Racer:
Autogyro.

Once you achieve stall speed (even if still sitting on the back of a trailer) you can lift off.

Technically you don't even need power if you are towed and the convoy continues moving at above your stall speed (which can be well below normal road speed).

If you have power (which is probably sensible) once you are at a suitable altitude you can release the cable and continue on your own power.

There was a German Submarine launched unpowered rotor kite - the Bachstelze. This was towed on a cable that was payed out on a 500ft cable allowing better visibility from the conning tower.

Landing on is probably not sensible, but you can always land ahead of the convoy to be recovered manually and set back on the trailer.

An autogyro can cost less than $5K and still be viable air support.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
43Supporter

Quote:
A Powered Glider or VTOL Microplane can fulfil same roll , but costs about the same & either needs an airfield or good locations to recharge whilst on scouting patrols .
A non-VTOL Acc.-5 Microplane can get into and out of a standard Truck Stop -- I've done it. (Hacked off the GM right-proper with *that* one. :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #20
Daimyo_Shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
A non-VTOL Acc.-5 Microplane can get into and out of a standard Truck Stop -- I've done it. (Hacked off the GM right-proper with *that* one. :) )
I mean the Truck Stop map isn't really small.