Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Christopher R. Rice

Default Racial Power Talents for Supers Games

So to elaborate a little, how would you (collectively) feel about a Power Talent (ala GURPS Powers) that included abilities the race was known for and that they could purchase. Obviously, the PM modifier would be -0%, any thoughts or pitfalls I'm overlooking?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Racial Power Talents for Supers Games

Have you look at the Biological power source in GURPS Powers [p.26, 175] ?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
Refplace

Like say ...
  • Kryptonian
  • Daxamite
  • Martian
  • Braalian (Cosmic Boy)
  • Imsk (Shrinking Violet)

I would say there is precedent enough, though it wont always be a 0% PM
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
Phantasm

I'm with Refplace on this. It won't always be a -0% power modifier, if there are various countermeasures in the setting.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-17-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
So to elaborate a little, how would you (collectively) feel about a Power Talent (ala GURPS Powers) that included abilities the race was known for and that they could purchase. Obviously, the PM modifier would be -0%, any thoughts or pitfalls I'm overlooking?
Honestly I'm dubious about getting "being a Martian" as a Talent. That's like getting a Talent at Being Super and I slap people who do that. If the powers of a Martian have some thematic unity with no odd outliers then you can get a Talent with them, sure, but then you should probably use the theme of the powers as their power modifier.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #6
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I'm with Refplace on this. It won't always be a -0% power modifier, if there are various countermeasures in the setting.
If the -0% PM is just a stand in to say this is a Power and not an advantage then it's not really a Power, so it should be something OTHER then -0%
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Honestly I'm dubious about getting "being a Martian" as a Talent. That's like getting a Talent at Being Super and I slap people who do that. If the powers of a Martian have some thematic unity with no odd outliers then you can get a Talent with them, sure, but then you should probably use the theme of the powers as their power modifier.
Think of it this way: All of DC's Martians have various shapechanging abilities, flight, superhuman strength, and some other abilities. Some Martians, f'rex J'onn J'onzz and M'gann M'orzz, will naturally be better at these abilities than others of their kind. Assuming that all Martian powers are covered under a single Martian Power, a single Martian Power Talent would be acceptable to cover Disguise, Mimicry (Voice), Aerobatics, and Lifting (among other skills that may not be Power Skills).

However, if the shapeshifting is one Power, and flight and strength another Power, then multiple racial Power Talents may be viable.

Likewise, Marvel's Skrulls have only the shapeshifting power as part of their racial makeup. A Skrull Shapeshifting Talent would be viable for those members who are especially gifted at shapeshifting.

Purely passive abilities (DR, IT:DR) or physical mutations that could be part of a Power may have a -0% power modifier if there are no countermeasures, or -5% if they can be negated through technological or pharmaceutical means, or if they have an Anti-Power, or -10% if there's both a technological/pharmaceutical countermeasure and an Anti-Power. The pharmaceutical negation I like to call Passive Biological as the power source modifier.

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:50 AM   #8
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't think there's any problem with it, since the GM specifies the abilities that the races have, and defines which are aided by Talent. They could be completely unconnected, but it wouldn't be exploitable since the GM defines what they were.

It might be a bit iffy if a character said 'I'm playing a race that can blast fire, erect force-fields, and fly, and I want a talent that adds to all of them.' But provided they don't get to dictate it, there's no real problem.

In this case, the thematic unity is 'the powers that all Martians have', for a supers game, that's a valid theme all by itself.

It wouldn't even be too much of a problem for a fantasy game, if the GM is careful to include a range of traits in the racial template, the one for Elves might add to Bow, but all Musical Instrument and Singing, the one for Dwarves might add to Axe and Shield, but also Carousing and Armory.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I just think it'd end up being overpriced at 5/level. That's the only risk I can see.

In theory I could see something like a Catfolk or Felinoid Talent, or a Dwarf Talent, but they tend to have so few innate powers, in most fantasy (or space opera) settings, that 5 points per +1 bonus to using those powers would feel overprived.

The Faeries in my Ärth setting has an innate illusion power, and can learn arcane magic in addition to that same as Humans and Dwarves and others can, but it makes little sense for me to, if I were to write them up in GURPS, to include a Power Talent.

You're talking Supers, of course, rather than fantasy/DF/space opera, but I still can't see how a species in a Supers world can have enough species Powers for such a Talent to be worthhile. That'd be an extremely unusual species.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
I don't think there's any problem with it, since the GM specifies the abilities that the races have, and defines which are aided by Talent. They could be completely unconnected, but it wouldn't be exploitable since the GM defines what they were.

It might be a bit iffy if a character said 'I'm playing a race that can blast fire, erect force-fields, and fly, and I want a talent that adds to all of them.' But provided they don't get to dictate it, there's no real problem.

In this case, the thematic unity is 'the powers that all Martians have', for a supers game, that's a valid theme all by itself.
Actually, that's a worldbuilder decision, not a GM decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
It wouldn't even be too much of a problem for a fantasy game, if the GM is careful to include a range of traits in the racial template, the one for Elves might add to Bow, but all Musical Instrument and Singing, the one for Dwarves might add to Axe and Shield, but also Carousing and Armory.
Species Talents are a significant element in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. But those are Skill Talents. The OP is talking about a different game mechanic, Power Talents.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote