Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Dejavroom

Default Questions from Newbie GM - Creating Vehicles

So, Once again I'm posting here in reguards to something I don't know about Gurps.

So how do you create vehicles?

I've currently go the High Tech supplement Book and had a brief look at the statistics for some vehicles. The WW1 Renault FT17 etc.

But I'm curious how I'd go about making my own? Because of my current campaign's setting, I'd like to create Airships and "Mechs" for my players to fight and crew.

Problem is, I have NO idea where to begin with this, Especially in terms of balancing this out. I've heard words of the Spaceships supplement having a good starting point but I'd like to hold of on spending more green for a while.

Could anyone help?
Dejavroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Questions from Newbie GM - Creating Vehicles

Pyramid #3/120 is probably your best bang for the buck.
The Spaceships is great and expanded on in a few Pyramids but is probably overkill in a non-vehicle based campaign. and you said your on a budget.
Pyramid has a single article that describes the various stats with examples and is likely good enough, especially if your willing to fudge weapons. It doesnt include the variety of options the Spaceships series does of course.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
whswhs

Here is what I would suggest for mecha. If you look at the weight statistics for humanoids, you can approximate human ST as 2 x (cube root off weight in pounds). But the formula for unliving entities is 4 x (cube root of weight in pounds). So I would give a human-sized "robot" twice human ST and HP, or typically 20.

The Growth advantage recommends minimum ST equal to 5 x height in yards. So for a mecha, I would go with 10 x height in yards. Pick an SM, check the height in yards, and multiply by 10. Example: We want a mecha that is SM +4; that's 10 yards, or 5 x human height. That gives it ST 100.

From this, you can get HP, weight, BL, and a basis for estimating occupancy and cargo (as Payload).

In approaching it this way, you're kind of building the mecha as a character. Of course you don't have to give it a full character sheet; just come up with the stats you need for the vehicle.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Dejavroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Here is what I would suggest for mecha. If you look at the weight statistics for humanoids, you can approximate human ST as 2 x (cube root off weight in pounds). But the formula for unliving entities is 4 x (cube root of weight in pounds). So I would give a human-sized "robot" twice human ST and HP, or typically 20.

The Growth advantage recommends minimum ST equal to 5 x height in yards. So for a mecha, I would go with 10 x height in yards. Pick an SM, check the height in yards, and multiply by 10. Example: We want a mecha that is SM +4; that's 10 yards, or 5 x human height. That gives it ST 100.

From this, you can get HP, weight, BL, and a basis for estimating occupancy and cargo (as Payload).

In approaching it this way, you're kind of building the mecha as a character. Of course you don't have to give it a full character sheet; just come up with the stats you need for the vehicle.

This is helpful thank you. But I'm also struggling with things like Calculating Load realistically. Especially fully laden or unladen. I kind of find the main rules slightly overcomplicated but I don't know if making it simpler by excluding certain stats would make vehicles or mechs overpowered.
Dejavroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Stormcrow

Forget calculating things. One day the vehicles book will come out and you can calculate to your heart's content. For now, you can simply decide what seems right, and that's good enough. If you think it seems right, unless you have an expert mech-tech (or whatever such would be called) as a player, who's going to tell you you got the load capacity wrong?
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Refplace

I write up a review (with links) that might be helpful.
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2019/0...-in-gurps.html
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, question, vehicles