Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Zale

Default Relative SM 0

So, I was wondering..

In a game where most of the characters would be about a certain size (Such as if it were a world of Lilliputians) would it be possible to simply shift SM 0 to whatever that was?

How many tweaks would have to be made for this to make sense?
Zale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Relative SM 0

It all depends on how realistic you want it to play out.
1950s style sci fi just reset the SM, and told physics to GTFO.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zale View Post
So, I was wondering..

In a game where most of the characters would be about a certain size (Such as if it were a world of Lilliputians) would it be possible to simply shift SM 0 to whatever that was?

How many tweaks would have to be made for this to make sense?
Check out tbone's GULLIVER rules. They're for 3rd Ed but they're generally applicable and easy to convert where not, and somewhere on the site is a mini version for 4ed.

Basically the answer is "yes", just shift the SM to 0 for the average size (the tiny characters). Some considerations will be the effect of mass on slams and falling damage, I seem to remember. After that it depends on how realistic you want to be (inch high humans would need to eat a lot more, lose more heat, maybe need more sleep, etc).
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Zale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Check out tbone's GULLIVER rules. They're for 3rd Ed but they're generally applicable and easy to convert where not, and somewhere on the site is a mini version for 4ed.

Basically the answer is "yes", just shift the SM to 0 for the average size (the tiny characters). Some considerations will be the effect of mass on slams and falling damage, I seem to remember. After that it depends on how realistic you want to be (inch high humans would need to eat a lot more, lose more heat, maybe need more sleep, etc).
Oh, thank you. It's not at all supposed to be that realistic. The idea is basically little people for whom a cat would be a gargantuan monster.

I am slightly worried about how ST would work. I'd have to alter the ST of most normal creatures to fit their new size.

EDIT: While I'm at it, how much of a limitation is Humans only in a setting where humans are basically huge looming giants that everyone avoids?

Last edited by Zale; 08-27-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Langy

Quote:
Oh, thank you. It's not at all supposed to be that realistic. The idea is basically little people for whom a cat would be a gargantuan monster.

I am slightly worried about how ST would work. I'd have to alter the ST of most normal creatures to fit their new size.

EDIT: While I'm at it, how much of a limitation is Humans only in a setting where humans are basically huge looming giants that everyone avoids?
Just use deci-scale ST - basically, call normal GURPS ST 10 = your ST 100, or GURPS ST 1 = your ST 10. Then slide Basic Lift down by a factor of 100.

A ST 10 character in this game would have a BL of 0.2 pounds (or 3.2 ounces, or 20 not-pounds, however you want to write it). That should be about all you need to change; just remember to multiply the ST of all creatures by 10 and you should be golden.

For a 'Humans Only' limitation, that'd probably be -50% or so. Maybe more.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Rasputin

Quote:
Go right ahead. Check out GURPS Bunnies and Burrows for an example of just this (though, being Third Edition, it doesn't mention Size Modifier).

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Zale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Just use deci-scale ST - basically, call normal GURPS ST 10 = your ST 100, or GURPS ST 1 = your ST 10. Then slide Basic Lift down by a factor of 100.

A ST 10 character in this game would have a BL of 0.2 pounds (or 3.2 ounces, or 20 not-pounds, however you want to write it). That should be about all you need to change; just remember to multiply the ST of all creatures by 10 and you should be golden.

For a 'Humans Only' limitation, that'd probably be -50% or so. Maybe more.
Thanks. That makes everything much simpler.

The idea is they have an Alternate Form (Small Animal of same SM) with Glamour, Cosmetic and Always On. However, they see each other as normal, only humans see them as something like a mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Go right ahead. Check out GURPS Bunnies and Burrows for an example of just this (though, being Third Edition, it doesn't mention Size Modifier).
I'll see If I can scratch up a bit of money for that, thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
There's a great article on this in Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS, p. 19, titled When We Were Very Small. Highly recommended for integrating deci-scale ST and HP. Wonderful issue in general.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Zale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
There's a great article on this in Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS, p. 19, titled When We Were Very Small. Highly recommended for integrating deci-scale ST and HP. Wonderful issue in general.
Interesting.

Anyone else have any advice on the Only Affects Humans thing? It is a rather minor thing..

Tags
size modifier, small