Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
rkeith

Default 4e rules { Sweeping blows by humans and by giants (SM+2) }

how do you handle sweeping blows by humans and by giants (sm2+) this question also includes dragon tails
rkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: 4e rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeith View Post
how do you handle sweeping blows by humans and by giants (sm2+) this question also includes dragon tails
Well you can wait for Technical Grappling...
But pretty much as normal, but note the difference in relative SM would make a to hit penalty for the bigger guys.
Per Sweep (Martial Arts p81) the dragon can learn Sweep (Brawling) for his tail.
One thing people tend to forget is its called "Sweep" not "Leg Sweep" and corresponds to a variety of possible maneuvers.

Edit: By the way your going to get more responses typically with a better subject line. 4e rules is too vague, but had you put in Sweeping blows or something you would have had all the martial arts guys all over this thread to help you out. As it is there less likely to pay attention to it then the rules lawyer types, or the handful that troll looking for newbies to help.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
vierasmarius

If what you mean by "Sweeping Blows" is attacks with the intention of knocking the target down instead of inflicting damage, see the Sweep technique in Martial Arts (pg 81). If you're talking about wide, swinging punches, that's just a normal attack, possible made as Telegraphic or All-Out. A tail that can attack is a Striker (Basic Set pg 88), likely Crushing with Limited Arc, possibly Clumsy and/or Cannot Parry.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Psychotime

I've wondered this myself.

The only real example of a "sweep" I've seen is Whirlwind Attack.

There has to be rules for this sort of thing.

If there's something I could make as a random houserule off the top my head, maybe you can let a SM 2+ character cover an area with any swing based melee attack (or a punch) based on their width. It'd cause knockback (maybe double) regardless of damage type to any target with a smaller SM.

Last edited by Psychotime; 12-16-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
aesir23

Default Re: 4e rules { Sweeping blows by humans and by giants (SM+2) }

If you mean broad sweeping attacks designed to knock the opponents weapon aside, then you need to look at Beat (from Martial Arts) or Disarm.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Psychotime

You know how giant monsters in fiction are able to swat away an entire team of heroes in one punch just because of the long arc their arms cover?

As far as I can tell GURPS doesn't have any official rules over it past considering attacks from a larger creature as a Large-Area Injury.

Last edited by Psychotime; 12-16-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
You know how giant monsters in fiction are able to swat away an entire team of heroes in one punch just because of the long arc their arms cover?

As far as I can tell GURPS doesn't have any official rules over it past considering attacks from a larger creature count as a large area effect or whatever the word was.
Yeah I tried looking that up for this thread but couldn't find it. I know there is a large SM attack counts as area somewhere other then just the trampling and overrun rules. SO many of us are interpreting what the op might want in different ways though I am hoping he replies to clarify soon.
PS: Thanks to Mr. marsh for the subject change.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Psychotime

Is it possible the thing I'm talking about was put in Dungeon Fantasy, Dragons, or normal Fantasy? It probably is, because it's very in genre.

I think I can understand why a normal game wouldn't need it, though. Because as far as I can imagine there's no creature in real life that the rule would ever apply to.

Last edited by Psychotime; 12-16-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
PS: Thanks to Mr. marsh for the subject change.
Was me, actually. Meaningful thread names ease searches, facilitate tracking discussions through subscriptions, and have a better chance to attract a person with the right answer. Empty names, we hates it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
mhd

I'd just make it an attack power with the appropriate modifiers. There's a point of being too generic, or else the combat section would just devolve into a massive if-then chain (if your size is bigger than x, your striker is larger than y etc.).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, size modifier