Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Greg 1

Default [DF] The value of valuables

In the chest you find a silver necklace, an ivory bracelet, a small saphire and two bolts of silk...but what does it all mean in terms of money?

How do you go about deciding what things are worth in Dungeon Fantasy?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [DF] The value of valuables

Kromm's latest blog post indicates that GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables should be coming out soon. That should help a lot.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Greg 1

I would like to believe that Treasure Tables is a guide for designing and valuing hoards as well as a system for generating them randomly. I want the book either way, though.

Does any other tabletop game use random treasure these days? Every MMORPG seems to use random treasure, but tabletop games seem to have stopped doing it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Anders

D&D 3.5 used it. I don't remember if 4e does. As for value... well, it's supply and demand, isn't it? Unfortunately, GURPS Microeconomics is being delayed by unforeseen problems.

:)
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I would like to believe that Treasure Tables is a guide for designing and valuing hoards as well as a system for generating them randomly.
It is. It's expressly designed to work as a shopping list and appraisal guide, as well as a random treasure generator.

(And yeah, I wish it was out already, too. Give us time -- this thing is freaking huge, complex and crunchy, and full of tables. Each one of these things separately leads to extra editing/layout time. All three make it... well... "fun.")

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Kromm's latest blog post indicates that GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables should be coming out soon. That should help a lot.
MFSDHfghGfhfhfdg fgdfgfd hfhfg ? <- Lack of speach caused by mouth foaming...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
It is. It's expressly designed to work as a shopping list and appraisal guide, as well as a random treasure generator.

(And yeah, I wish it was out already, too. Give us time -- this thing is freaking huge, complex and crunchy, and full of tables. Each one of these things separately leads to extra editing/layout time. All three make it... well... "fun.")
I love the DF line, and I've enjoyed reading Matt's previous GURPS publications, but I was ambivalent about DF:Treasure Tables until we started getting a few sneak peaks on the forums. This quote (Appraisal Guide!) just makes it sound awesome.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
This quote (Appraisal Guide!) just makes it sound awesome.
Certainly, one can start with a description of an item (say, a heavy breastplate sized for a dwarf with the figure of a lion's head in the center, a foot-tall ivory statue of a warrior with ruby eyes, or a slightly damaged cabinet with secret compartments made of fine wood and inlaid with ebony and mother-of-pearl) and break that description down into component parts which will allow the GM to say "it costs $x." However, I'm happiest that it provides a system which will, with any luck, cut down on the "Another +1 sword?" syndrome familiar to so many old D&D players. Rather, this +1 sword has red silk tassels hanging from the hilt reminiscent of the style of the long-lost FillInTheBlank empire, that +1 sword has the blade extensively enameled with figures of flying cranes, and the other +1 sword screams when it strikes its target.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Excellent! :D

Quote:
Wonderful! I won't complain about the time taken. I would rather have the book done right than done quickly. I have always approved of SJG policy of not releasing things until they are spot on.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
In the chest you find a silver necklace, an ivory bracelet, a small saphire and two bolts of silk...but what does it all mean in terms of money?

How do you go about deciding what things are worth in Dungeon Fantasy?
You decide how much you want the loot to be worth and how portable you want it to be. Then you describe it appropriately.

In the case above, I might say the entire treasure pile has a nominal value of $3000. The silver necklace and the bracelet are each worth $250 and have effectively no weight, but will need to be sold in town at a discount. The sapphire is worth $500 on its own, again nearly weightless, and can be used as currency. The bolts of silk are $1000 apiece, weigh 5 lbs, and have to be sold in town. I'd expect the PCs to grab the bracelet, necklace, and gem and possibly leave the silk - 5 lbs is a lot in a game that tracks encumbrance.

The price and weight of stuff is pretty arbitrary, so you can set it however you like. The real question is what do the PCs get out of it in the end and how much effort does it take to recover that value.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote