Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Carne Vale

Default Re: Help finding effects of Giantism/SM+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
I wouldn't apply it to Arm Wrestling rolls, or things only involving the arm. That would be covered by Arm ST.
Arm ST is basically Lifting ST + Striking ST with limitation (arms only), while Lifting ST applies to the whole body, including arms. They are not different parts of strength, they are just different way to divide it.
Carne Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
I know there is +1 Move
As long as I know. SM dont give free move. You have to pay for that. Gulliver from T-Bone includes.

Here is the entry for SM+1 suggested by him:

Large [59] = SM+1, Hgt 3 yd, HM 1.5, Wgt 480, ST+6 [54], BS-0.25 [-5], BM+2 [10].

You can find it here: www.gamesdiner.com

Last edited by Mateus; 09-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
As long as I know. sM dont give free move. You have to pay for that. Gulliver form T-Bone includes.
You're certainly right that increased SM doesn't give free move. It is included in Gigantism as an effect of longer legs, IIRC.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You're certainly right that increased SM doesn't give free move. It is included in Gigantism as an effect of longer legs, IIRC.
It's true, as I never made a pc or npc with Gigantism I have never saw the "long legs" thing. What the reason for it be 0 points then? The penality in disguise and the fact that you will pay more for things?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
It's true, as I never made a pc or npc with Gigantism I have never saw the "long legs" thing. What the reason for it be 0 points then? The penality in disguise and the fact that you will pay more for things?
I think it's basically +1 SM [0], +1 Basic Move [5], Distinctive Features (giant) [-5]. With the need for special clothing sizes as a special side note.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Carne Vale

It also makes you easier to hit with ranged weapon.
Carne Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Bruno

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I have a wiki page listing every single rule in GURPS relating to SM that I could find, including references.

And some notes about "common sense" extrapolations from the existing rules, and noting where traits are given a casual relationship to SM, but are not an automatic benefit.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I think it's basically +1 SM [0], +1 Basic Move [5], Distinctive Features (giant) [-5]. With the need for special clothing sizes as a special side note.
The difference between the SM +1 of an ogre and the SM +1 of Andre the Giant comes down to "All ogres are SM +1", vs "Most humans are NOT SM +1".

Ogres are designed and built at SM +1 (ditto horses, kzinti, etc). SM +1 ogres come in bulk, nobody is surprised by seeing one at SM +1, and anyone who knows how to make equipment for ogres automatically makes it at SM +1 and knows how to handle any problems that come with making equipment at that scale.

Almost everything made for humans comes at SM +0. Andre the Giant couldn't buy off-the-shelf anything, could never find a crowd of people he could blend into, and doesn't have a lot of choice for tailors that even have experience making SM +1 clothing (or carpenters that make SM +1 furniture, or builders that make SM +1 houses, or building-CODES that ALLOW for SM+1 houses).

I think Gigantism splits the "hard-to-pick-appart" -5 part of its package between Distinctive Features (only place you'll really ever blend in is in a conference for people with acromegaly) and the "Your life will be filled with a thousand minor indignities and inconveniences" value that constitutes a hidden part of the value of Overweight and Fat in 4e.

After all, Overweight seems to include 1 level of Distinctive feature, but gives you +1 to swimming rolls and resisting knockback. So why is it still a quirk? Because not everything comes in XXL. Same with Fat and Very Fat, only moreso, and that seems to also be the case with Gigantism.

Arguably in a DF game (where giant barbarians are standard and there are enough races of a wide variety of sizes that a Human Barbarian could just go get Ogre stuff, or a Halfling with Gigantism could buy Gnome clothing and equipment, etc) Gigantism should be a 1-3 point advantage since that sheer inconvenience value is reduced.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The difference between the SM +1 of an ogre and the SM +1 of Andre the Giant comes down to "All ogres are SM +1", vs "Most humans are NOT SM +1".
Tangential but interesting: most humans are not SM +1, but a large fraction are if one actually follows the definition. SM 0 is up to 2 yards. It seems that tall humans without Gigantism are generally grandfathered into the species average SM 0.

I wonder how odd it would look if you let that breakpoint apply.

Tags
scaling rules, size modifer, size modifier