Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Ultraviolet

Default Help finding effects of Giantism/SM+1

I am AFB for some time, and my search fu sucks as well as blows, since I can't find anything useful on this forum. But I know I at some point saw a list of the effects of having Giantism and the SM+1

I know there is +1 Move
And I remember the discount for ST and HT
I seem to remember a +1 ST for purposes of applying slow, steady pressure, like Choking
But there was something about an SMx3 bonus, but was it for making or resisting rolls Pinning rolls or was it Break Free rolls?
Also a modifier for Intimidation, but how much? And -2 Disguise and Shadowing.

Can anybody help with this?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Lupo

Default Re: Help finding effects of Giantism/SM+1

Gigantism effects are listed on page 20 of the Basic Set. Around page 400 of Campaings it talks about the extra reach of larger creatures.
There is no SMx3 bonus, AFAIK, but there is a +1 to Intimidation and Grappling for every +1 of relative SM.

EDIT: sorry, I just realized that "AFB" means "away from the books".
The effects you listed are right (note that the discount is on ST and HP, not ST and HT).
Page 402 says that SM+2 grants +1 to Reach; SM+1 doesn't, but Reach "C" attacks become Reach 1.

Last edited by Lupo; 02-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

AFB is spelled IDHMBWM in Texas (where the forum is located), so it falls outside the standard nomenclature. ;)
Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Ultraviolet

Ok, point taken about the abbreviation. But AFB is a TLA (three-letter-abbreviation) and easier to remember. :)

Now I have my books with me. Apart from those things already mentioned, under "Pin" on B370 it's notes, that the larger combatant is at +3 in the ST contest for every point his SM is larger than the enemy's. So in effect someone with Giantism fighting a normal guy will get 3xSM as a bonus for this. So both for *making* and *resisting* Pinning rolls.
But not rolls to break free, neither making or resiting them, so not for escaping once you're pinned, or in a lock!

A follow up question, this one about Lifting ST B65. In addition to better BL and thus carrying capacity, it says you can add it to ST in situations where you can apply slow, steady pressure (grappling or choking).
What would this be in very precise game terms? Obviously Choking, and also the ST roll/contest in Choke Hold or what?
And what about the "grappling" thing? Would that be in *all* ST rolls and contests while grappling? Meaning all sorts of techniques like Arm Lock or Head Lock, where you do damage based on Margin of Succes in a ST contest??? I'd be tempted to say only Choking, since it seems to fit the idea of slow, steady pressure. Arm and Head lock are sort of slow and steady as well, I'm dithering there. But hings like Neck Snap and Wrench Limb is right out - that's a fast twist or pull, definately not covered by Lifting ST.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet
Ok, point taken about the abbreviation. But AFB is a TLA (three-letter-abbreviation) and easier to remember. :)
Well, I hope you realize it was a joke. I'm have neither the authority nor the willingness to dictate what abbreviations to use.

Quote:
Now I have my books with me. Apart from those things already mentioned, under "Pin" on B370 it's notes, that the larger combatant is at +3 in the ST contest for every point his SM is larger than the enemy's. So in effect someone with Giantism fighting a normal guy will get 3xSM as a bonus for this. So both for *making* and *resisting* Pinning rolls.
But not rolls to break free, neither making or resiting them, so not for escaping once you're pinned, or in a lock!

A follow up question, this one about Lifting ST B65. In addition to better BL and thus carrying capacity, it says you can add it to ST in situations where you can apply slow, steady pressure (grappling or choking).
What would this be in very precise game terms? Obviously Choking, and also the ST roll/contest in Choke Hold or what?
And what about the "grappling" thing? Would that be in *all* ST rolls and contests while grappling? Meaning all sorts of techniques like Arm Lock or Head Lock, where you do damage based on Margin of Succes in a ST contest??? I'd be tempted to say only Choking, since it seems to fit the idea of slow, steady pressure. Arm and Head lock are sort of slow and steady as well, I'm dithering there. But hings like Neck Snap and Wrench Limb is right out - that's a fast twist or pull, definately not covered by Lifting ST.
Basically, Lifting ST modifies ST contests. But some grappling attacks use thrust or swing to determine damage - in which case it doesn't modify the damage itself (because that is handled by Striking ST).
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Well, I hope you realize it was a joke. I'm have neither the authority nor the willingness to dictate what abbreviations to use.
Yeah, and you're not from Texas at all, are you?!??! :) I'm joking as well, although it *is* easiest if we all use the same abbreviations.

Quote:
Basically, Lifting ST modifies ST contests. But some grappling attacks use thrust or swing to determine damage - in which case it doesn't modify the damage itself (because that is handled by Striking ST).
Holy cow Batman!
If Lifting ST is used in *all ST contests while Grappling or Choking etc.*...That's a huge chunk of important rolls for wrestlers. Sure, you don't get the bonus for calculating damage, but if the poor victim never gets away, who cares if it takes a round or two extra to Wrench his Spine??

I wouldn't apply it to Arm Wrestling rolls, or things only involving the arm. That would be covered by Arm ST. As as I see it, Lifting St is a whole body thing, with strong back and legs and so on.

I'm still a little unsure about which rolls to apply the size bonus to though. Like Pinning and Breaking Free.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Yeah, and you're not from Texas at all, are you?!??! :) I'm joking as well, although it *is* easiest if we all use the same abbreviations.
It's just that IDHMBWM is more . . . classical? Anyway, it's the traditional one. Besides, AFB sounds as if your books are immobile . . . But thinking about it, I see no reason why nobody tried using AFB back when the SJGF slang was forming.

Quote:
Holy cow Batman!
If Lifting ST is used in *all ST contests while Grappling or Choking etc.*...That's a huge chunk of important rolls for wrestlers. Sure, you don't get the bonus for calculating damage, but if the poor victim never gets away, who cares if it takes a round or two extra to Wrench his Spine??
Pretty impressive. But it's no more impressive than Striking ST, which modifies damage with all weapons and many unarmed attacks and modifies Beats. And serves as a Prerequisite of sorts (for MinST purposes). I'd say they compare fairly.

Quote:
I wouldn't apply it to Arm Wrestling rolls, or things only involving the arm. That would be covered by Arm ST. As as I see it, Lifting St is a whole body thing, with strong back and legs and so on.
I'm puzzled by that one. If you have stronger everything, you have stronger arms too. If you can lift more stuff with one arm over your head (BL), then you can use that same ST to do arm-wrestling.

Quote:
I'm still a little unsure about which rolls to apply the size bonus to though. Like Pinning and Breaking Free.
Well, I FAQed the effects of +1 SM as applicable to humans with Gigantism. I think that's a full list found in Basic, though of course MA and Powers might have some hidden bits for special cases.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Well, I FAQed the effects of +1 SM as applicable to humans with Gigantism. I think that's a full list found in Basic, though of course MA and Powers might have some hidden bits for special cases.
The only other thing I can think of is it lets you bite slightly larger targets.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
The only other thing I can think of is it lets you bite slightly larger targets.
Yep. Which is kinda cool because it is a freebie, giving no additional drawbacks (i.e. aside from the normal drawbacks of being SM+1) for biters specifically.

In a way, giants have more incentive to be biters and grapplers, because those are the attacks that gain the most benefits as a result of size.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
transmetahuman

Quote:
It's just that IDHMBWM is more . . . classical? Anyway, it's the traditional one. Besides, AFB sounds as if your books are immobile . . . But thinking about it, I see no reason why nobody tried using AFB back when the SJGF slang was forming.
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I see AFB I think Air Force Base. :)
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scaling rules, size modifer, size modifier