Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Onkl

Default A Campaign in Space / Balancing of Spaceships with different SM

Hi

One of the groups I play with recently decided that they are interested in playing a high TL space campaign. Their idea is to play a group of space-faring adventurers, each commanding his own ship, making a buck by any means available. The kind of guy you play in the computer games series Elite, or more recent: Privateer.

We are still in the brainstorming phase, still I already have a major problem, that of spaceship size and the corresponding cost. It makes a lot of sense that modules on larger ships cost more than modules on smaller ships. I now have a problem with balancing that.

Say one of my players wants to play a freighter (SM+10) Captain, the next wants to command a science vessel (SM+8) and the third wants to play a deep-strike fighter (SM+6) pilot.

If I got the rules correctly, the freighter costs a multitude of a fighter, as it should. My question now is IF/HOW can I incorporate these different ships into a fun game. It's not just the starting money to buy a ship with that's worrying me, but also rewards... as a module for a SM+10 ship has a lot more worth than for a ship with a smaller size, so if I give them money, the fighter will have the best systems in no time while the freighter wasn't able to buy a single new system.

Does anybody have any experience with such a mixed group of player controlled ships?

Of course I thought about just telling them that they all must pick a ship of a certain SM and give them an appropriate amount of credits to buy a ship that fits their needs. But if it is avoidable I would like to give them as much freedom as possible when designing their starting ship.

Thanks for your suggestions and tips!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign advice, spaceship, spaceship battles