Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
scc

Default [DF]Demon Filled Japan

OK I was recently remind of the Anime Addventure thread Wonder About Zero and could only think how interesting it would be to RP, for those who haven't had the pleasure to read it (The site is gone now, so you'll have to scrounge up a copy of the download) the very short history is this:

In the 1500's demons become very active in Japan, so active in fact that the country ended up unified defeating a practicality nasty one. Fast forward to today and Japan only has half the population it has in real life because a lot of people left 150 years ago during or after a major demon war.

So you have a modern setting, just with this one area that has a lot of monsters in the backwoods.

Adventuring types will include things like samurai, miko's and martial artists alongside more modern character concepts, like gunmen and adventure archeologists.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:24 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: [DF]Demon Filled Japan

My first step would make sure to use Oni instead of Demons for theme reasons 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Yep, all monsters would of course be Japanese, as would most spell casting (I figure that western witches and druids would be kind of hard to find in Japan, even after 500 years).

The whole thing about katana's being better is probably justified in this timeline, killing a demon being a major desirable characteristic of a sword, must are of very fine quality and heavily enchanted.

Guns never caught on in the monster hunting business, because so many need to be killed by magical weapons and you can't do that with guns (at least not the ones that matter) and bullets don't offer a major cost-break compared to swords.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Guns never caught on in the monster hunting business, because so many need to be killed by magical weapons and you can't do that with guns (at least not the ones that matter) and bullets don't offer a major cost-break compared to swords.
So no magic bullets? I'm assuming you can't enchant an arrow either then. [ Penetrating weapon not getting the divide by 10 on cost for being a missile ]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
scc

Quote:
So no magic bullets? I'm assuming you can't enchant an arrow either then. [ Penetrating weapon not getting the divide by 10 on cost for being a missile ]
Enchanted bullets would not enjoy enough of a cost discount against swords to make them worth while.

As for arrows, technically not, but all you'd need to make one viable against a demon is to tie an ofuda to one, they do sort of exist.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Bruno

"all you have to do" - I presume you mean wrap the ofuda around the arrow shaft.

My first mental picture was tying it on like a gift tag, and that just can't be good for accuracy :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"all you have to do" - I presume you mean wrap the ofuda around the arrow shaft.

My first mental picture was tying it on like a gift tag, and that just can't be good for accuracy :)
If you're in a pitched field battle you might just do that because the range, but as most battle will be at close range and speed will likely be more of an issue.

Also remember that it being attached like a gift tag looks more dramatic.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
There are many appropriate youkai other than oni, "demons" being a broader and not-completely-overlapping category from "youkai" and certainly broader than "oni".
Old 12-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Perhaps a deal could be worked out similar to the other stuff at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...em_conversions for a "GURPS Black Tokyo" to be developed?

I don't like D20 much and find the large amount of games in that series confusing. If all of that material could be condensed into 1 book and given GURPS 4e stats, that would be an attractive product, if Chris A. Field would sign on for it.

I don't know if he knows the system though, would any of the present GURPS writers be interested in doing something like that?
Actually garbing GURPS Japan in the current sale would probably be a good start

Tags
dungen fantasy