Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #11
tbone

Default Re: A flurry of questions about martial artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
From the way Chi Rituals are phrased I would assume double-ration cost is mostly about dietary restriction. Food additives or salves could be fixed but their cost wouldn't likely be significant. The weight of the expense would be exotic food and drink that increases the overall price. Since the limitation specifies rations I wouldn't assume it means double cost of living, but that esoteric tax could be reflected in a number of aspects.
It seems to me that if exotic food and drink are the issue, those requirements should have their own cost, rather than be tied to the cost of whatever food the character would normally eat. Which is what leads me to my musing that some flat cost for MAs' special needs arguably makes the most sense.

BUT... Perhaps these costs are expressly meant to be creatively tied. So, if you make do with normal rations, there's little extra cost to augment those to special MA rations... but if you go for expensive Elvish or Dwarvish rations, it just happens to be that combining the special effects of those rations with special MA requirements involves some particular extra cost. Why exactly that is, I don't know, and I suppose it doesn't demand explanation; it just is.

Similarly, when the MA is in town and isn't paying for rations, there's no extra cost for MA needs because... well, I guess we can assume the MA's needs get subsumed into the cost of weekly town cost of living (probably due to the money she doesn't spend in town while balancing on her head for three hours every morning).

I imagine the intent behind the rule is something like that. It's a quirky way to do things, and I think it involves some complication a flat cost wouldn't entail (for example, it seems an MA on the road would have to separately track special rations purchased at double cost vs normal rations purchased at normal cost (or found, received from teammates, etc.).) But as a rule, "double cost of rations" somehow has an odd appeal. I'll just give it a try and see how it goes. (It'll probably go fine.)

Thanks for the comment.

Well, that still leaves a lot of unanswered MA questions up above. I'll get myself into the lotus position, sink into meditation, and see what the inner eye reveals to me.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
It seems to me that if exotic food and drink are the issue, those requirements should have their own cost, rather than be tied to the cost of whatever food the character would normally eat. Which is what leads me to my musing that some flat cost for MAs' special needs arguably makes the most sense.
It might be a case where it's not exotic food, but having to be prepared in a particular way (think kosher or halal) - it would explain why there's a doubling in the cost regardless of the ingredients. Whether you have a rat sandwich or dwarven quiche, making it under the dawn of the fourth sun (or whatever) might warrant the chef to double the price.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
It might be a case where it's not exotic food, but having to be prepared in a particular way (think kosher or halal) - it would explain why there's a doubling in the cost regardless of the ingredients. Whether you have a rat sandwich or dwarven quiche, making it under the dawn of the fourth sun (or whatever) might warrant the chef to double the price.
Yeah, I was sort of suggesting something like that in my post immediately above, but you said it more clearly. Sounds good to me! (And the way you put it, I think the mechanism could be put to use for future cultures or races with special dietary preferences.)

In the end: The "double rations cost" rule strikes me as quirky, but more interesting than a flat cost increase. It sounds more fun (to the extent that a minor cost-of-living adjustment can be fun in a game : ). I'll pay that double cost and get on with the adventuring.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Similarly, when the MA is in town and isn't paying for rations, there's no extra cost for MA needs because... well, I guess we can assume the MA's needs get subsumed into the cost of weekly town cost of living (probably due to the money she doesn't spend in town while balancing on her head for three hours every morning).
I think your dietary needs being subsumed by your normal lifestyle expenses in town makes a lot of sense. It stands to reason that an aesthetic monk would spend less money in their ordinary life than someone that drinks, or gets a more comfortable room in the inn or springs for new socks or boots while the Martial Artist walks around barefoot.

But the preserved foods when traveling become expensive if you must abstain from unclean meats, or if you're not allowed to eat foods that are salted or preserved in fat or foods that are pickled. With preserved foods just having one or two restrictions can make the limited options you have very expensive.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote