Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Pinning down a fix

Minimal pin fix:
An attempt to pin is a contest of 3/DX between the two figures with the following modifiers:
Add one die to the number of dice a figure needs to roll for each level of Unarmed Combat the foe has above theirs.
Add one die for each five points of ST the foe has above their own (round up so even an advantage of one point of ST adds a die)
To complete the pin the pinner needs to make their own roll and make it by more that the target makes theirs.
Once the pin is in place the pinner may attempt to tie up the target by making another contest. If they fail this roll the target escapes the pin and if they make the roll by more than the target does then they tie them up.

Note that in a contest between a very strong untalented figure against a weak high level UC figure neither is likely to pin the other.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #2
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Pinning down a fix

I have not tried this but my initial reaction is this is good.

I do have questions about this line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Once the pin is in place the pinner may attempt to tie up the target by making another contest.
Is there a requirement for having rope to do the tie up? And must the rope have been readied before hand? I mean once you have some one pinned, then having to get rope out may release him/her. If not rope, then what or what else in addition to rope? What about a sacks? (reference: The Hobbit story with the troll putting dwarves in sacks... if I remember that correctly)

BTW, I had an encounter where the players are trying to capture small creatures with sacks. I should look up what I did with that but I expect it is not very different to what you did. I don't recall if I based it on pinning or not but it was a two step plan like yours. Grab then bag.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Shostak

Some adjustment should be made for size. A small 1-hex figure should be at a distinct disadvantage over a large 1-hex figure quite separate from ST differences. Tying someone up this way should be extremely difficult.

Here is my more thorough remake of HTH and pinning.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Needs some rewording. You can attack an adjacent figure while disengaged yourself, and usually at a DX bonus for facing.

"Grappling is a new attack option for all engaged figures" Whataboutism grappling from behind? One arm around the throat and a dagger in the other hand say. (This looks like a HTH attack to me personally, given that you're literally closer than arm's length at this knife point.)

Last edited by hcobb; 01-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
phiwum

So he changes the word "engaged" to "engaging". I guess that would fix it.

Although, an "engaging figure" has a different meaning in most contexts.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
hcobb

I just don't see the visualization of grappling outside of HTH. Are you really holding somebody whose center of mass is four feet from yours?
Old 01-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
phiwum

That's a fair point, but the fact is that you can grapple someone without falling to the ground with him. People really do grapple while standing. This wouldn't be possible if Shostak restricted his rules to HTH.

So, take your pick:

(1) Due to the spacing rules of TFT, you are some distance away from one another when grappling, rather than sharing a hex or
(2) No one can grapple unless they and their victim are both prone.

Shostak's decided that (1) works for him. It doesn't seem stupid to me. The actual placement of pieces on a map shouldn't be taken too literally in any case and if you and I are in adjacent hexes, that doesn't mean that our center of masses are literally 4' apart. (Otherwise, not sure a halfling with a dagger is much of a threat at all. Let him swing and poke! His arms can't reach.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
Shostak

Quote:
I just don't see the visualization of grappling outside of HTH. Are you really holding somebody whose center of mass is four feet from yours?
Yes.

Here's some video to help you visualize.

And here's another.

And another.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
Shostak

Quote:
Needs some rewording.
I tightened up the wording a bit to simplify things.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #10
hcobb

The standing grapples have two figures standing in one hex with long weapons.

That's fine, but GURPS is over that way.