Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
RedDragon

Default Contact-Range Explosions

After watching a recent episode of My Hero Academia and seeing one of the characters in a fight scene, I was wondering how to stat this up (call it a thought exercise). (pic for the uninitiated https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...20170414183340) In short, his sweat is a nitroglycerin-like substance (but it only explodes when he wants it to). This means its a short-range ability (although he has special gauntlets that can launch the sweat at people), and it has some interesting quirks: It doesn't hurt him, as its directed out of his palms, and the sweatier he gets (in combat, running, etc.), the more powerful the blasts. He also uses it to propel himself and add force to his unarmed attacks.

Anyway, I wanted to ask the forum's advice on how to stat this up. I'm thinking of starting with the "TK Burst" Ability in the Pyramid #3/29: Psionics chapter "Expanded Psychokinesis":

TK Burst: Crushing Attack 1 point (Based on HT, +20%; Based on IQ, Own Roll, +20%; Double Knockback +20%; Explosion 1, +50%; Fragmentation 1, +15%; Malediction 2, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Psychokinesis, -10%; Variable, +5%) [5/level]

and then add or remove Modifiers as appropriate (in this case remove Based on HT, Based on IQ, Fragmentation, No Signature, Psychokinesis, and maybe Malediction). That leaves a couple of questions: Are you hurt by your own attack, if it's close enough for the explosion to damage you (e.g. touch-range)? Can you apply Explosion to a Cone attack, and would that enable you not to take damage? Or would it make more sense to apply the Explosion Enhancement to unarmed damage? Is that even RAW? On a broader scale, can you be hurt by your own Innate Attacks?
Thanks.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Contact-Range Explosions

If you are in the area of your area effect (or explosive) attack, you are effected by it. Take Selective Area to avoid this.

You can in theory apply Explosive to a cone attack, though cones are annoying and fiddly in play so adding an even more annoying and fiddly element would make me as the GM ask if that was necessary. The cone attack would do full damage and falling off explosive damage to those outside the cone based on the shortest straight line distance to the edge of the cone. Cones implicit have an origin in the user's square, so if the Cone is explosive, it will also affect the user. Take Selective Area to avoid this.

You can apply Explosive to your unarmed attack but the math is tricky. Again, it will hit you unless you also take Selective Area.

You can be hurt by your own Innate Attacks, though it's somewhat unusual to target yourself. But you can blast yourself with your own icebolts via a critical miss, catch yourself in your own explosive fire balls due to shoddy aiming or scatter, or be mind controlled to blast yourself with your own energy beams. It's likely a -5% Accessibility to be immune to your own attacks but I'd treat it as a +5% enhancement.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
RedDragon

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. How much would you price the Accessibility (Only to exclude himself) on Selective Area?

Last edited by RedDragon; 05-29-2017 at 09:38 AM.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
mlangsdorf

Selective effect is normally +20%. Being able to only exclude yourself is probably +5%, like I said.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Selective Area.
Not sure that's the best option as that also allows the PC to avoid hitting allies (not sure if this is what RedDragon wants).

I might go the route of building the Explosive power normally and giving the PC Immunity To Own Explosives [10].
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
mlangsdorf

You can't be Resistant to damage, even your own (Powers p 72).

Unless you have a cite somewhere. I checked Basic, Powers, and Supers but couldn't find anything for immunity to your own powers even though it's a common super-hero trope.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Right, forgot about that. Your Selectivity (Self-Only) 5% is probably the way to go.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Anders

DR (one source only, -80%) [1/level] is another possibility - although it is quite possibly more expensive.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
That leaves a couple of questions: Are you hurt by your own attack, if it's close enough for the explosion to damage you (e.g. touch-range)? Can you apply Explosion to a Cone attack, and would that enable you not to take damage? Or would it make more sense to apply the Explosion Enhancement to unarmed damage? Is that even RAW? On a broader scale, can you be hurt by your own Innate Attacks?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I might go the route of building the Explosive power normally and giving the PC Immunity To Own Explosives [10].
Quote:

Unless you have a cite somewhere. I checked Basic, Powers, and Supers but couldn't find anything for immunity to your own powers even though it's a common super-hero trope.
GURPS Zombies (p. 54) thinks its possible. It's got a caveat though: DR cannot protect against it, but it must allow a resistance roll. That screams maledictions. Since the build is maledictive in nature then you could buy immunity to this attack that way.

Another way to do this is to use Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) (Accessibility, Own attack only, -80%; Cosmic, Rounds down, +50%) or perhaps a variation Cosmic that makes you immune to the effects of your attack only. Perhaps around +100% - you're effectively adding a linked DR to your attack so that whatever damage it deals/you roll is adds an equal amount of DR to resist it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
explosion, powers, rules question, supers