Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Creating a Cursed Were-Creature?

I'd like to be able to build a character that can never control his changes. - he's not even in control of the Alternate Form after he changes. He also has no powers and receives no benefits from having this cursed lycanthropy when he's human. When he's in his Alternate animal Form, he's just a plain old ordinary wolf, with no special abilities besides those that mundane wolves possess, and additionally the wolf will act in an overall highly disadvantageous manner - it will act with Bloodlust, Sadist, and Berserk, for instance, potentially only attacking friends and innocents, and otherwise attacking in self-defense.

The net value of all of this will be a positive point cost, as far as I can see. Maybe some pretty nasty social disadvantages or a Secret could be attached to bring the point cost to negative. But it just feels wrong to me that the base Alternate Form, with the racial template having a net negative cost, with Unconscious Only (-20%) and Uncontrollable (-30% since you could attack your friends), will still be worth 8 points. It feels instead like a disadvantage.

I know it's not RAW, but wouldn't Split Personality work better? You'd need to allow for the Split Personality to involve physical traits as well, and if you wanted it with no self-control number you could apply the 2.5 multiplier to it as suggested on p. P106 under Temporary Disadvantage.

Am I missing some "benefit" that the above highly disadvantageous Alternate Form would give that means it should still cost points?

Tags
alternate form, disadvantage, split personality, unconscious only, uncontrollable