Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Rowan
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Default Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

I was browsing around and picked up an article about AlphaDog that's an improvement on the old Big Dog pack bot thing if anyone's familiar with that. Looking at it, it reminds me vaguely of the XAU-02 Vanguard from the Reign of Steel world book, as well as it being listed in Will To Live over on e23. :)

Anyone else have similar feelings? Just curious, I've always thought the Big Dog and now Alpha Dog robots were really cool.
__________________
"Time Traveling Brownie Parahuman from the future!"
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Daeglan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I was browsing around and picked up an article about AlphaDog that's an improvement on the old Big Dog pack bot thing if anyone's familiar with that. Looking at it, it reminds me vaguely of the XAU-02 Vanguard from the Reign of Steel world book, as well as it being listed in Will To Live over on e23. :)

Anyone else have similar feelings? Just curious, I've always thought the Big Dog and now Alpha Dog robots were really cool.
Do you have a link to these I am not familiar with them.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Rowan
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
Do you have a link to these I am not familiar with them.

Yeah, sure thing let me find them:

Here's big dog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ

and the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigDog

And Alpha Dog: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/09/alphadog-robot/
__________________
"Time Traveling Brownie Parahuman from the future!"
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Why does every video of these things involve someone kicking it? Do these things just invite abuse?

Also, am I the only one who thinks the way it stands at the very end is terrifying? It just slowly and smoothly rises to it's feet in a way that says "Remember the beginning of 2001 A Space Odyssey? Yeah, you've just created your replacement."
__________________
RyanW
Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king. Gondor doesn't have to show you any stinking king.

Last edited by RyanW; 09-30-2011 at 09:39 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Why does every video of these things involve someone kicking it? Do these things just invite abuse?
Because ability to recover from being destabilized like that is a major selling point.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Daeglan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Yeah the ability to keep on its feet after being kicked or shoved is an amazing demo. Most mechanicals like this would fall over.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Stripe
 
Stripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Someone call the Robot ASPCA. ;)

It's funny, until I fast-forwarded it and saw the people at the end, I thought the robot was the size of a small dog.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Rowan
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Why does every video of these things involve someone kicking it? Do these things just invite abuse?
'Cause they know, man... they know what the robots are planning!! XD

Quote:
Also, am I the only one who thinks the way it stands at the very end is terrifying? It just slowly and smoothly rises to it's feet in a way that says "Remember the beginning of 2001 A Space Odyssey? Yeah, you've just created your replacement."
What I really found creepy is how quickly it can just tear off down the track at a sudden flat out run.

Jeeze, I'd never be able to escape that thing! XD
__________________
"Time Traveling Brownie Parahuman from the future!"
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
Highland_Piper
 
Highland_Piper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

I want a saddle for it!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
Verjigorm
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Big Dog/Alpha Dog = RoS Vanguard?

I, for one, welcome our robot overlords.
__________________
A shadu an la illa illah Allah, we shadu anna Muhammadar Rasul
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.