Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default DF Stats for Yuan-Ti / Serpentfolk

A race of advanced, sinister, humanoid lizard people has been part of dungeon fantasy roleplaying for quite some time. In D&D, these were termed the Yuan-Ti. Pathfinder created their own approximation with the Serpentfolk.

Here is my version of that race in DF:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Racial Template: [170] for Strength 9 [-10] Dexterity 10 [0] IQ 15 [100] Health 16 [60] Perception 16 [5] Will 16 [5] Speed: 7 [10]

Languages: [18] for Aklo, both spoken and written [6] Common Undercommon, both spoken and written [6] Draconic, both spoken and written [6]

Advantages: [30] for Infravision [10] Damage Resistance 4 [20]

Disadvantages: [-25] for Callous [-5] Intolerance (Non-serpentfolk) [-10] Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10]

Special Serpentfolk Traits:

Ancient Intellect: The leaders of the ancient world who were unfairly usurped by the surface dwellers, your kind possess a the will and power to reclaim the mantle of authority and rule once more. You will succeed in these ends through stealth, guile, cunning, and secrecy. 10 points/level to a maximum of 4.

Add +1 per level of this trait to these skills: Acting, Disguise (Humanoid), Detect Lies, Escape, Thaumatology. Furthermore, add +1 per level of this trait to the following spell-like abilities which function as the Wizard spell: Blink, Charm, Command, Complex Illusion, Illusion Disguise, Simple Illusion, Telepathy, Magic Resistance, Simple Illusion.

I welcome your input.

Last edited by WhiteLily; 10-04-2020 at 12:33 PM.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: DF Stats for Yuan-Ti / Serpentfolk

I've always enjoyed the Yuan-Ti. Are you picturing that they are all part snake, like a 2-armed Peshkali? The D&D version had different forms ("abominations" and whatnot). If they have serpentine bodies, I would add Constriction Attack and perhaps some levels of Lifting ST.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
WhiteLily

I'm running Serpent's Skull right now as a DFRPG game. Book 1 is going great. I think it's a wonderful adventure and DF provides a great ruleset.

The arching villain of that adventure path are the Serpentfolk; Paizo wanted to make their own entry into the mentally powerful lizard people sphere. So this was an porting over of that race.

I also need at add a bite attack for thrust damage that deals follow up of HT -2 save or suffer 1d6 poison damage.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Polkageist

It's not specifically for yuan-ti, but I had a lot of success taking the giant snake from the DF monsters book and adding bits and bobs from other monsters to zhuzh up a snake into something more dynamic.

Things I've done:
+2-3 DR for toughness
A breath weapon for some AoE
2-3 spells and an energy reserve.
Extra toxic damage via bite (fangs), touch (slime), or ranged attack (spit)
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #5
LokRobster

An entire race of IQ15? Seems mighty powerful!

Basically innate spell-slinger abilities, I wonder what their society would be like. How have they not leveraged their massive intellectual talents into world domination yet? :)
Old 10-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
WhiteLily

Here's what the Forgotten Realms wiki had to say about their history:

The yuan-ti were once human.[1][6] Long before humankind dominated the continent of Faerūn, the Creator Races ruled Toril. The reptilian Creator Race, the sarrukh, were foremost amongst these and built up great empires. They bred the first yuan-ti by magically experimenting with and breeding men with snakes, also creating nagas and, through a similar process, lizardmen. They eventually fell from power and the resourceful yuan-ti rose up to claim their Creators' power vacuum, even while sustaining the empire of Mhairshaulk. Of the fragmented World Serpent deity that the sarrukh had worshiped, the yuan-ti venerated the strongest aspect, a cruel and despotic deity, Merrshaulk, who grew distant and aloof.[citation needed]

As the yuan-ti's power became less visible on Faerūn, and they instead fell to infiltrating human and demihuman society through their organizations and long-sighted plots, Merrshaulk had sunk into a slumber, ignoring his followers. Eventually, around the time of the collapse of the human empire of Netheril, Merrshaulk himself was also reborn as a winged yuan-ti avatar named Sseth, who became the yuan-ti's new primary deity. In the end, though, Sseth too sank into somnolence.[citation needed]

At this point some sarrukh, long suffering a heavy war on other planes or sunken in hibernation in their ruins, began to return in some numbers. They crucially needed help from their deity, but Sseth was not answering prayers in his slumber. So for aid in their endeavors some of the sarrukh made a bargain with the Mulhorandi deity Set, that put Sseth into a deeper sleep but allowed Set to assume Sseth's mantle and grant the sarrukh their aid. Most yuan-ti do not even know of this transaction, though now Sseth struggles at his bonds some are being made aware of it.