Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Not

Default Stat Reginald Barclay (ST:TNG)

Let's start with his disadvantages. He's clearly a pariah when introduced. Shy? Bad Reputation? Agoraphobia?

Then there's his holodeck habits. Could it just be Addiction (cheap, legal), or something else?

His efficacy seems to come form a single-minded obsession to working out a problem, often with unusual insights. Should this be Single Minded, Obsession, Workaholic, or something else?

He appears to stammer when challenged. Disturbing voice? Maybe Truthfulness?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
nerdvana

Default Re: Stat Reginald Barclay (ST:TNG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Then there's his holodeck habits. Could it just be Addiction (cheap, legal), or something else?
Would it be that or an OPH or possibly both?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

His use of the holodeck for fantasy and self-medicating therapy was the most normal thing about him. It's what 90%+ of real humanity would do given such a device.
That's his real problem. He's a smart neurotic real world human in a land of superhumans.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
His use of the holodeck for fantasy and self-medicating therapy was the most normal thing about him. It's what 90%+ of real humanity would do given such a device.
That's his real problem. He's a smart neurotic real world human in a land of superhumans.
I'm with you on this one. No one in STNG is a normal person anyway. I find the STNG characters wooden and creepy myself like some Neo-Soviet perfect man

Stats using Memory Alpha's write up on him my guess would be

ST10 DX10 IQ 12 HT11

skills and advantages are the bog standard Star Fleet template for a lieutenant with a few extra points in engineering skills. Its noted that even Geordi comes to respect his engineering accumen

Disadvantages include Shyness 10 (which gives him the broccoli nickname) compulsive behavior (holodeck use) 5 odious personal habit (uses real people in sims without permission) 5 and phobia (transporters) serious 10 as well as quirk level hypochondria and loves cats

Cats also seem to like his so a perk (cats like him) wouldn't be out of line.

In time he drops most of these shyness stays at 5 and the phobia , OPH and addiction go away though he retains the quirk (prefers holodeck to people)
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
spacemonkey

He's a hypochondriac, has a transporter phobia, plenty of bad rep due to being absentminded (luckily both he and the federation consider engineering interesting), has poor social skills, lacks confidence, holoaddiction... is there a disad limit for Starfleet campaigns? If so whoever statted him is wasting points.

Barclay was the trekkie insert, which is why he was a fairly enduring character even though he started off on the wrong foot in almost every episode. He did all the things a trekkie would like to do, like having sex with the leading ladies on the holodeck, getting to serve on the Enterprise, winning the support and eventual friendship of the crew, becoming a superbrain and taking control of the Enterprise, getting to do the technobabble save of the week, time travel, you name it. I'd guess his transporter phobia is a play on how trekkies would endlessly argue about the show's tech, one of those arguments being that transporters just disintegrate you and make a clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Would it be that or an OPH or possibly both?
OPH would be talking about his holohookers at Ten Forward, or in the engineering bay, it's not a OPH if you're trying to hide it and get caught once, that's more like a blown secret that resulted in an even worse rep with the officers. It's really just a bad plot device to develop his character. It would be trivial for him to set an alarm after the first time he's late (him being an engineer on a starship and all), but he doesn't because the author wanted him to be a naughy little trekkie caught with his pants down.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

We have episodic canon that transporters kill and copy people. But since Delusion isn't about truth but what those surrounding you believe...

Using the images of real people came off as tacky and unheard of rather than illegal making me think of it as a gross social faux pas.
How could it be an OPH if it requires people overriding your locks and barging in unannounced to discover? I would call it a Secret.

As to alarms, you've never slept through one? All it takes is a bit of self deluding ego to be sure that today really was the last time.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
We have episodic canon that transporters kill and copy people.
Among other weird things. We know canonically, for ex, that under the right conditions you can beam into your moral opposite's place in a another universe, that it can split you into good and evil halves, and it can merge you and someone else into a gory mess that doesn't live long...fortunately. (Almot a direct quote.)

At one point Barclay has the ship's computer give him a list of the symptoms of something called 'transporter psychosis' that you can get from riding in a malfunctioning transporter. The list was...interesting. I remember watching that ep with my brother back in the day and our mutual reaction was, "OK, so McCoy was right."

Barclay's dread of the transporter strikes me as quite plausibly rational.

Quote:

Using the images of real people came off as tacky and unheard of rather than illegal making me think of it as a gross social faux pas.
How could it be an OPH if it requires people overriding your locks and barging in unannounced to discover? I would call it a Secret.
And if the crew of the STTNG Enterprise weren't rather inhumanly self-disciplined and 'evolved', I would think that I was a Secret just about everybody on the ship, or a huge subset of them, would have. What would real human beings do with the Holodeck? What Barclay did, at the very least.
Rule 34 given physical embodiment. Plus the pleasure of beating up Finnegan, screaming at your annoying neighbor without fear of reprisal, etc.

Of course, given the freakish things we're canonically shown the Holodeck doing, it would also be rational to be phobically afraid of it, too...

Quote:

As to alarms, you've never slept through one? All it takes is a bit of self deluding ego to be sure that today really was the last time.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

At least DS9 had sex holosuites. Though they still avoided most of the inevitable ickiness such things would really raise.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I'm with you on this one. No one in STNG is a normal person anyway. I find the STNG characters wooden and creepy myself like some Neo-Soviet perfect man
That's... pretty much exactly what they were supposed to be. Roddenberry was somewhat far gone by the time TNG came out, and believed (his own hype) that humanity would be more 'evolved' by the 24th century. No interpersonal conflicts, no money, no religion, and somehow nobody grieves. It didn't help that he was probably on drugs a lot, due to health issues - and possibly some drugs that weren't prescribed, but we know he had health issues.

See also Roddenberry's Box (there are several sites with that article, I think, or ones like it), which goes into more detail, and specifically mentions the holoaddiction episode.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Near sociopathic lack of caring for human death wasn't uncommon in the original series either. Other than one episode where Kirk goes off the deep end mourning that could just as easily be seen as ego trauma than real grieving.
I get killing is in the job description of militaries. But at least show a moment of sadness like TLoTR crew did for Gandalf.