Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #171
dcarson

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

I'd expect a Justice League Foundation that get donations from many places. The Fact that Wayne (Batman), Queen (Green Arrow), Kord(Blue Beetle), Holt(Mr. Terrific) all donate is not odd. Aquaman is not anywheere as rich as CBR says but would still be wealthy just as a ruler of a good sized city and he can do deep ocean salvage easily. So he could find a billion or so to chip in.

The team that announced the discovery of the Port Nicholson, a World War II–era British merchant ship found 50 miles off the coast of Maine, says it bore 71 tons of platinum ingots worth about $3 billion.

Recent enough to not be a archeological cause the way the Spanish treasure ships are and it's bullion so not historic value. As a ruler he has a edge in the lawsuits about who owns a sunken ship.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #172
FlowersOfEdo

One question I have about the "Gizmo as Weapons" section from Supers is what would be a fair method for determining maximum effect from non-strength based gizmo-weapons? The example of building "gizmo weapons" in the section (arrows for a super-archer) use the damage from the arrows (based in part on the strength of the archer) to set the allowable point value for the gizmo effects. The text even draws attention to how upping the archer's damage would allow higher point values for the gizmo effect. But what if your weapon's damage isn't based on your strength? How would you go about setting similarly fair guidelines for the Obscure effect of smoke pellets or the Affliction of gas capsules or the corrosion damage of a mini laser torche, all stuff that Batman might carry in his utility belt and use as needed?

I have a Batman write up where I do full stats for the "major" weapons and tools, but I would be curious what people think would be allowable if someone wanted to go mostly gizmo for the utility belt weapons (since the tools are relatively easy to "gizmo-fy").
FlowersOfEdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #173
naloth

I'd suggest you make this a separate thread for a wider audience. This thread was to discuss a much different topic.

My comments to your stuff would be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersOfEdo View Post
One question I have about the "Gizmo as Weapons" section from Supers is what would be a fair method for determining maximum effect from non-strength based gizmo-weapons?
That's campaign driven. It's not about "fair" as much as it is about balance.

<snip>
Quote:
But what if your weapon's damage isn't based on your strength? How would you go about setting similarly fair guidelines for the Obscure effect of smoke pellets or the Affliction of gas capsules or the corrosion damage of a mini laser torche, all stuff that Batman might carry in his utility belt and use as needed?
If the effect is available as normal equipment, you can use gadget rules. If the effect requires points, modular abilities is a better fit. The number of points you have available for a "slot" will determine how powerful of an effect you can generate.

If you have a utility belt with 2 slots that can each hold an item with a 10 point ability, each ability that you use has to cost 10 points or less.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #174
FlowersOfEdo

No worries. Figured the question was at least tangentially on target given the discussion of variant rules that could apply to superheroic builds. Thanks for the advice anyway.
FlowersOfEdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #175
bobbyraw

How are wounding modifiers (eg x4 for skull hit, x2 for impaling, x1.5 for cutting, x0.5 for p-) handled / affected by log damage?

I really love this idea. I've been messing around with some Supers characters that I'd statted up, converting them to this approach, and it seems like it will work really well in play. Thanks a lot, naloth.

Last edited by bobbyraw; 05-24-2020 at 03:47 PM.
bobbyraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #176
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyraw View Post
How are wounding modifiers (eg x4 for skull hit, x2 for impaling, x1.5 for cutting, x0.5 for p-) handled / affected by log damage?
The only injury multipliers I adjusted were the ones on the hit location table. There were too many high skill characters to be handing out x4 for every head hit or x2/x3 for Vitals hits. I converted those to be an injury bonus equal to the penalty of the shot (+3 for vitals, +7 for skull). Specialty shots to the eye or a limb have the same potential to cripple.

I toyed with the idea of converting the reset of the injury multipliers to just bonuses, but just left them as multipliers along with armor divisors. As just small bonus they are rather underwhelming and you would have to adjust the point cost as well.

Quote:
I really love this idea. I've been messing around with some Supers characters that I'd statted up, converting them to this approach, and it seems like it will work really well in play. Thanks a lot, naloth.
Thanks. Let me know how it turns out.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:03 AM   #177
RedMattis

Decided to try to create a conversion table. Not sure if anyone made one here already since I didn't go through the whole thread.

New‏‏‎ ‎Val | ‎‏‏‎Old‏‏‎ ‎Val | ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎Descriptive
6‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎1.9‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x1/8
7‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎2.5‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x1/6
8‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎3.0‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x0.2
9‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎3.8‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x0.25
10‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎5.0‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x1/3
11‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎6.0‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x0.4
12‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎7.5‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x0.5
13‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎10‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x2/3
14‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎11‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x0.75
----------------------------------------
15‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎15‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
----------------------------------------
16‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎18‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x1.2
17‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎22.5‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x1.5
18‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎30‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x2
19‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎45‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x3
20‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎60‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x4
21‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎75‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x5
22‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎90‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x6
23‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎120‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x8
24‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎150‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x10
25‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎180‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎x12
26‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎225‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x15
27‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎300‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x20
28‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎450‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x30
29‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎600‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x40
30‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎750‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x50
31‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎900‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎x60
32‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎1200‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏ ‏ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎x80
33‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎1500‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏ ‏ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎x100
34‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎1800‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏ ‎‏‏‎‎x120
35‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎2250‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎x150

Used‏‏‎ ‎to‏‏‎ ‎port‏‏‎ ‎values‏‏‎ ‎for‏‏‎ ‎armor,‏‏‎ ‎innate‏‏‎ ‎attacks, Weapons,‏‏‎ ‎etc.‏‏‎ ‎Only values 16+ are used for porting, otherwise use the previous value. 6-14 are only used to figure out Basic Lift.
For‏‏‎ ‎Innate‏‏‎ ‎attack‏‏‎ ‎or‏‏‎ ‎Weapons‏‏‎ 1d6 = 4. F.ex. 4d6 = 16, etc.
For‏‏‎ ‎Strength‏‏‎ ‎subtract‏‏‎ ‎5‏‏‎ ‎from‏‏‎ ‎both‏‏‎ ‎sides‏‏‎ ‎of‏‏‎ ‎the‏‏‎ ‎table when figuring out the value (old & new)

Formatting is weird because I couldn't figure out how to paste tables on here and had to deal with whitespace character which the forums interpreted... strangely. :(

Last edited by RedMattis; 01-28-2021 at 01:10 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #178
SilvercatMoonpaw

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but:

Who is "Rev"? Where are their houserules?
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #179
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post

P. Kitty or Jason Levine. I don't have the right link handy.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #180
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post

https://www.mygurps.com/
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers