Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default A Bit Of Silliness: The _CW_ Food Cart

I live in the Portland, OR, area. Something we see a lot of up here[*] is "the Food Cart Pod": Take a underused parking lot, or other large open space, near an office complex, and set up a brace of vehicles with kitchens in them, each serving a different style of cuisine -- for ex.: The pod nearest me has a Texas BBQ, next to a Scottish fish-and-chips shop, next to a Thai cart, and so on.

[*: These appear elsewhere in the USA, but Portland's pods are best-known -- at one point, Portland had the largest FCP in the world....]

This led me inexorably to the image of a _CW_-universe FCP defending itself against some sort of threat (perhaps the "Crusaders" scenario -- giving new meaning to "take-out" >:) ). Since most FCs are conversion of existing vehicles, and tend to be later models, I looked through the _VG_s to find suitable vehicles for carrying a full Galley (_CFH_ 72: $2,000; 500 lbs.; 8 sp.) -- the Mini-Galley is nice, but most real-world FCs have the full version.

I figured the FCs would have turrets, as a customer probably doesn't want to be in LoF of a side-mount should lunchtime become Interesting; so the short list of prospects is:

Van: _Vacationer_; _Security Six_; _Road Hauler_ (less mini-safes); _Deluxe_.

Pickup: _Micro_; _Texan_; _Vigilante_; _EconoBox_; _Virtuoso_; _Cowboy Stretch_; _Hauler_; _En Garde_; _Morgan_; _Longhorn_.

Wagon: _Decade Delivery_; _Eagle_; _Scout_.

And now I'm hungry....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: A Bit Of Silliness: The _CW_ Food Cart

That's an interesting idea.

It's not a term I am familiar with as a Brit, but I googled it.

It looks like a car van trailer is a good candidate (as a lot of them seem to be caravans) as well from the images I saw and others that looked like the back end of a bus.

With two turrets a 30' bus could be an ideal platform. Removing the requirement to carry passengers makes their capacity far more useful. You could easily allow 3 spaces per person for internal dining (passenger accommodation is only 2 spaces per person) and you could fit 8 people in easily and leave plenty of room for plant/weapons etc.

Every day is a school day, looking at buses again I noticed I hadn't before.

I assumed that as minibuses only had 6 armour locations they would only carry a single turret, but I note that under weapons all buses long sides have front and back half and can mount two turrets (with no exception for minibuses). Is the received wisdom that I was correct all these years and this is an oversight, or can they have two turrets.

Even with a single turret a minibus is an attractive option. I'd have side sponsons as well (with the servery side one being a pop-up to avoid startling the clients).

Incidentally where is the full galley from? (CFH?)

EDIT:
Sudden though Catalogue From Hell?

Last edited by swordtart; 06-02-2020 at 03:53 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
sparcipx

We were planning to run the Maniac scenario but set it in an outdoor mall/bazaar instead. This would be a cool addition!
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
It looks like a car van trailer is a good candidate (as a lot of them seem to be caravans) as well from the images I saw and others that looked like the back end of a bus.
[nod] Most car trailers could easily accommodate a Galley; exact design is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Quote:
With two turrets a 30' bus could be an ideal platform. Removing the requirement to carry passengers makes their capacity far more useful. You could easily allow 3 spaces per person for internal dining (passenger accommodation is only 2 spaces per person) and you could fit 8 people in easily and leave plenty of room for plant/weapons etc.
Full-size Buses and Semi-Trailers have the same problem: They're *too* big for a pod to accommodate. I think upper-limit would be a 15' car trailer.

There's also the expense -- even a lightly-armed and -armored full-size bus is a spendy bit of kit. (Dang, I've been watching too many reruns of _Wheeler Dealers_. :) )

Quote:
I assumed that as minibuses only had 6 armour locations they would only carry a single turret, but I note that under weapons all buses long sides have front and back half and can mount two turrets (with no exception for minibuses). Is the received wisdom that I was correct all these years and this is an oversight, or can they have two turrets.
Six armor facings; one turret. See _VG2_.

Quote:
Sudden though Catalogue From Hell?
Correct. :)

79er

Old 06-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
We were planning to run the Maniac scenario but set it in an outdoor mall/bazaar instead. This would be a cool addition!
Looking at outdoor locations:

_City Blocks_ has a parking lot in Block 30 which could be used -- place one FC every alternate parking space (need room for tables and chairs, you see :) ).

On the old Midville map, the parking lot on First, in the SE corner, would be the most-likely location. In a "Wheels vs. Walkers" scenario, the FCP would be Neutral, with all that entails; in "Crusaders", the FCP will return fire just long enough to crank up and get off the map.

79er