Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2022, 04:24 AM   #31
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

There are certain types of games that are hard to make work in any TTRPG, and GURPS isn't an exception. For example, anything that involves tactics in a complex 3D environment (Portal comes to mind) and anything that involves heavy use of short-term time travel.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:20 AM   #32
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's no worse than any other slice of life concept.
GH: Okay, you’ve had a couple of beers and you’re tired. Roll your Games [ASL] skill at -4 to find the rule for smoke.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #33
sjard
Stick in the Mud

<Moderator>
Certain notorious "games" do not need to be brought up anytime there is a thread like this.

Thank you.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #34
jason taylor

Gurps Camp Slave:

You and all the character's were picked up by a warlord in his pillaging. Male PCs will be Child Soldiers. Females will be sex slaves. The rest male or female will be camp drudges. Sounds like great fun.

Gurps Untouchables: The PCs have to pick up other peoples garbage. As their payment everyone mocks them, beats them or otherwise abuses them. Also sounds like fun.

Gurps patient: This is solitary. The PC is confined to a hospital with a severe disease. You are tied to a bed with needles stuck in you like a pincushion to pump you full of drugs for whatever purpose the hospital has, and by-the-way keeping you high as a kite. You are bored, and homesick and all you want is to get out of the accursed place.

Gurps Gulag: Enough said.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #35
RedMattis

@jason taylor
I get the feeling the topic is meant to be about what kind of setting the GURPS rules would be poorly suited for, not what stories would be better not told at all.

-------------------

In general I feel what GURPS does poorly is narrative driven stuff. E.g.

Superman & Batman team-up! Yeah, even giving Batman tons of Serendipity, Gizmos, and whatever Superman is just going to going to make Batman feel like a glorified Contact Advantage. Dependent at worst.

Meanwhile in a very strongly narrative-driven games the power level is rarely relevant. There is no issue with Batman throwing a bat-grenade on Darkseid. When Darkseid decides to punch Batman we just let him evade most of the blow, while Superman might endure it instead.

In GURPS you'd just end up with Darkseid turning Batman into giblets instead.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
@jason taylor
I get the feeling the topic is meant to be about what kind of setting the GURPS rules would be poorly suited for, not what stories would be better not told at all.

-------------------

In general I feel what GURPS does poorly is narrative driven stuff. E.g.

Superman & Batman team-up! Yeah, even giving Batman tons of Serendipity, Gizmos, and whatever Superman is just going to going to make Batman feel like a glorified Contact Advantage. Dependent at worst.

Meanwhile in a very strongly narrative-driven games the power level is rarely relevant. There is no issue with Batman throwing a bat-grenade on Darkseid. When Darkseid decides to punch Batman we just let him evade most of the blow, while Superman might endure it instead.

In GURPS you'd just end up with Darkseid turning Batman into giblets instead.
All the examples I gave can make good dramatic situations if done right (I have read it). They are however hard to roleplay and not worth the bother.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #37
Vikingv

GURPS TOONS
Old 07-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #38
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingv View Post
GURPS TOONS
Doesn't GURPS Furries have some templates specifically for handling such characters?
Old 07-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #39
kenclary

(To take the thread topic more literally, and also be a little spicy.)

Dungeon Fantasy.

I think GURPS can do great at various smash-and-grab-and-fight-stuff-along-the-way style of games (D&D, Shadowrun, and other games come to mind). But I think it's a really bad idea to try to emulate the mechanical tropes of wildly different games --- e.g. building your dungeon crawl around race/class/level.
kenclary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #40
Stephen Day

Legend of the Five Rings and 7th Sea.

One of the fun things about those games is the way dice explode. I don't think it's something that GURPS could easily adapt itself to.
Stephen Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptions, meta