Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default Spirit Familiar Template for RPM

This template assumes the rules for Weird Familiars on p.18 of Pyramid 3/75:Hero's Jackpot. I'm posting it for commentary, and for other people to use if they want to.

These are minor death spirits (based loosely on Celtic Mythology; in my game they are servants of the Morrigan) who are attached to certain families. They will manifest physically in the form of a hooded crow when members of the family show magical talent, and grant added powers. Once bound, the Badbh cannot return to the spirit realms without the bound human's soul. As such, any caster who takes one as an Ally must take the Sympathy limitation at the highest level: if the Babdh's physical form is destroyed, she will return to the Underworld, and take the master's soul with her. If the master dies, her service is done, and she returns to the Underworld with a soul anyway.
Badbh [-2]
ST: 2 [-80] HP: 2 0 Speed: 6 0
DX: 14 48* Will: 10 Move (Air): 12 0
IQ: 10 [0] Per: 12 [10] Move (Ground): 3 [-15]
HT: 12 [20] FP: 10 0 SM: -4
Dodge: 9 Parry: N/A DR: 0

Bite (14): 1d-7 large piercing
Claw (14): 1d-7 cutting

Advantages: Claws (Sharp) [5]; Flight (Winged; Air Move 12) [30]; Teeth (Sharp Beak) [1]; Higher Purpose (Death Magic) [5]; Magery (RPM) 0 [5]; Doesn't eat [20]; doesn't sleep [10]; Familiar [3]; Acute Vision 3 [6]; Alternate Form (Humanoid; Skinchanger: Breakable, Unique, Can be stolen (won't work for thief) -40% [9]; Natural Caster 2 [30];
Disadvantages: No Fine Manipulators [-30]; Bestial [-10]; Hidebound [-5]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Draining (Master's Blood, Rare) [-15]; Social Stigma (animal) [-10]; Dead Broke [-25]; OPH (Carrion bird) -1 (-5); Callous [-5]
Skills: Flight (A) HT+1 4-11; Observation (A) Per+0 2.

'Human' form: The babdh are skinchangers; they can remove their feathers, becoming a clawed human; this shape retains the black and grey patterning of the hooded crow. (Blunt Claws [3], Sharp Teeth [1], Unnatural Features 1 [-1],).

Notes: The badbh 'lives' exactly as long as the human she is bound to, and never makes aging rolls. Damage from Draining *can* be prevented, by drinking the Familiar Master's blood before it happens. This is only a basic template; a Badbh that's been around a while will usually have an Energy Reserve (accessible by either party), Mana Collector, and a variety of skills, including magical skills.

Last edited by Dalillama; 03-30-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
christ0pher

Default Re: Spirit Familiar Template for RPM

This is almost too perfect. I'm in the middle of planning a modern urban fantasy campaign, and the first big bad is going to be Balor king of the Fomorians, summoned back to earth to wreck havoc in modern times.

I'm stealing your badbh. Some lucky (unlucky?) Player is going to make a new friend.

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ0pher View Post
This is almost too perfect. I'm in the middle of planning a modern urban fantasy campaign, and the first big bad is going to be Balor king of the Fomorians, summoned back to earth to wreck havoc in modern times.

I'm stealing your badbh. Some lucky (unlucky?) Player is going to make a new friend.
Cool. Use it with my compliments. I just realized that I forgot to put Callous on there, it really belongs.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Prince Charon

The badbh suggest an interesting Death Geas to me: 'Will not die from any injury or illness of your body' (because you will die from someone killing your crow, which you may not realize unless you know that your familiar is really a badbh).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

I have nothing to add except "Good job, Dalillama. Keep writing. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

:-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
familiars, rpm