Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #1
Plane

Default using Intimidation on a Bear / Cat / Dog

Zombies 117 mentions "The Intimidation skill affects only zombies that have IQ 6+"

B456 only gives bears/cats/dogs an IQ of 4 so it seems like they'd also be immune to this skill.

In that case how would you go about rolling for an attempt to scare them away?
Old 12-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: using Intimidation on a Bear / Cat / Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Zombies 117 mentions "The Intimidation skill affects only zombies that have IQ 6+"

B456 only gives bears/cats/dogs an IQ of 4 so it seems like they'd also be immune to this skill.

Use Animal Handling (or possibly an appropriate survival skill).
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

I'd rule that zombies don't have the same fear of death that living animals do, and so that rule doesn't apply to living IQ 4 beings.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
Inky

It doesn't really seem to make sense that Intimidation couldn't be used on animals, or that, if it couldn't, this information would be hidden away somewhere as obscure and not-obviously-related as Zombies. Animal characters with low IQ usually seem to have normal (or higher) Per. Do the low-IQ zombies also have this? If not, that might account for the difference.

In the "Animal Empathy" advantage in Basic Set it says "You may also use your Influence skills (see p. 359) on animals just as you would on sapient beings, which usually ensures a positive reaction". But that could just mean that you don't have a "wrong species penalty" (compare Animal Handling or Body Language).

The page on "Influence Rolls" in Basic Set (p. 359) doesn't seem to say anything about them not working on animals, and in fact says something that seems to imply that they do - "If the subject is Indomitable (p. 60), you lose automatically unless you have Empathy, Animal Empathy, Plant Empathy, or Spirit Empathy, as appropriate."
Old 12-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post

In the "Animal Empathy" advantage in Basic Set it says "You may also use your Influence skills (see p. 359) on animals just as you would on sapient beings, which usually ensures a positive reaction". ."
Yes, Intimidate is the Influence Skill you're "supposed" to be using on animals. The author of the above passage does not appear to have been thinking of Sex Appeal as an Influence skill. :)

Animal Handling would be a valid choice because (among other reasons) it's not on he Influence skills list.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yes, Intimidate is the Influence Skill you're "supposed" to be using on animals. The author of the above passage does not appear to have been thinking of Sex Appeal as an Influence skill. :)

Animal Handling would be a valid choice because (among other reasons) it's not on he Influence skills list.
I am now imagining, for some reason, an alien who doesn't speak a human language and doesn't know that humans are sapient trying to use Animal Handling on a human or small group of humans at First Contact.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:36 AM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I am now imagining, for some reason, an alien who doesn't speak a human language and doesn't know that humans are sapient trying to use Animal Handling on a human or small group of humans at First Contact.
You may have read Battlefield Earth one time too many.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:26 AM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
You may have read Battlefield Earth one time too many.
Zero is one time too many?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Social Engineering p.31 specifically calls out Intimidation as the influence skill that doesn't require Animal Empathy, and also gives rules for using Animal Handling.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:15 AM   #10
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Zero is one time too many?
Re the usage of Animal Handling by aliens to interact with a human...it could be called a recurrent theme in said book.

Tags
animals, intimidation, zombies