Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Your tiniest houserules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
The reason I didn't want to just double it was because I'm a bit concerned it would make random thugs (and non-combat PCs) a bit too capable if they stay away for a few turns. Letting a random Axe/Mace-12 thug build up a +6 to hit would probably not break the game, but it would be pretty nasty and feels a bit too surgical of an attack for that kind of fighter. Nevermind how brutal it would make a bunch of guards with halberds that just spam Wait (with a free Evaluate if the Wait goes unused).

Personally anything that reduces the skill-lists is a plus imo.

I've taken to using Wildcard skills on just about every character I help my players design. It is much faster in play and more flexible in general. F.ex. for Wildcard Professions/themes (like Police Detective!) I just talk to my player about what the character should be capable of and anything that is relevant but isn't part of the core concept is rolled at some amount of penalty. E.g. driving rolls for the police detective, or even more penalty for trying to fix the police car when it breaks down. Etc.
I can definitely see that. Something like a thug is easily solved by them just not evaluating (they might have some fighting experience but now enough to think to watch their foe). Guards spamming Evaluate/Waits might need the boost, I still haven't seem guards do well enough in my games for their skill levels.

And yeah, I definitely get that feeling. I use Wildcard skills a lot, and even when I don't I have a few houserules to get some in line with other skills, more for sanity's sake than realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That's a bit good. I've considered giving a hex of pushback on that critical result, but haven't actually implemented yet.
Oh I love this idea even more. It's absolutely meaningful without making the attack itself that much more lethal, plus it works even with less lethal attacks.

On that note, I've let players replace the effect of criticals with making the attack a Flesh Wound that can't kill. This is great for simulating things like 'smacking someone in the head to knock them out' even though the difference between "not knocked out" and "absolutely dead" is pretty slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Yes, for Parrying Unarmed Attacks (B376), instead of rolling damage normally, your rolled damage is halved.
Right, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Common sense can't be purchased, but I the GM will tell you if I think you're doing something stupid because I probably explained something poorly. Please don't clutter up your sheet with the advantage.
Yep, I do the same thing. I always assume that if the player is doing something stupid, one of two things is happening;
-Things were not properly explained
-They actually want to do the stupid thing (namely, to stay in character)
And checking to make sure things were communicated properly helps make sure either way.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:40 AM   #32
Anders

Unaging costs 5 points, for Immunity to a rare threat.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #33
Varyon

As a recent thread reminded me - Alternate Abilities lets you have as many points worth of abilities as you've paid full cost for active at a time, rather than only getting to have one. If you've got a personal forcefield that can be repurposed into a slashing blade on one arm, normally that would mean you can either have full-strength DR or a full-strength cutting attack, for example. With this variant, you could modulate how much DR you sacrifice to create the cutting blade - if you're looking at DR 10 (Forcefield +20%) [60] and Innate Attack 10d cut (Melee Attack -25%) [53], you could pay full-price for [60] and 1/5th for the remaining [53], or [11] - total [71] - and then you could opt to have DR 5 [30] and a 6d-1 cut blade [30], DR 2 [12] and a 9d cut blade [48], DR 8 [48] and a 2d+1 cut blade [12], or whatever (in this case, it's basically the character has DR 10, and every point of DR sacrificed is worth ~1.14d cut, to a maximum of 10d cut).

I don't recall if Innate Attack allows you to normally ramp down the damage in this regard; if not, the above would need an Enhancement to let it do so for this to be valid. I'll also note that if an ability has Selectivity, you can opt to switch to a version that lacks one or more Enhancements and have it use up less of the full-point pool than it would with those Enhancements.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #34
Celjabba

Allowing Evaluate and Telegraphic attack to stack
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #35
TGLS

I'm not sure if this is a house rule or a rule that I forgot a reference for, but I allow people to buy up more powerful, but limited, versions of innate attacks by limiting/removing enhancements from only the dice extra. For example:
-> Laser Blaster [Burning Attack 4 (Rapid Fire 3)]
-> Charged Laser Blaster [Burning Attack 2 (Takes Extra Time)]

And as weapon listings they'd be:
Laser Blaster 4d tbb, etc.
Charged Laser Blaster 6d tbb, etc.

Also, I treat tight beam burning as it's own thing and not just a subset of burn.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #36
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Unaging costs 5 points, for Immunity to a rare threat.
I've just outright gotten rid of that trait.

For 98% of campaigns it is just a glorified Unusual Background, and most GM:s don't even use UBs.

The only setting I'd want to use it in would be Dungeon Fantasy since aging-traps are a trope of the genre. Ironically iirc. Dungeon Fantasy has gotten rid of Unaging as well though. Though you might as well model it as "Resistant (Immunity to Aging)" in that case, as you say.

I've seen it justified with stuff like "Well, you should have way easier or history rolls and stuff because you lived through it", but

A) Doesn't help if you were some isolationist Elf Hunter who just spent 400 years fletching bows, writing poetry, and generally trying to ignore the world outside their enclave.

B) A 30-year old elf, freshly turned vampire, or whatever gains no advantage whatsoever from those 15 points.

It honestly feels more like a wish-fulfillment trait than anything. Which I guess explains why it originally had a cost of 60 points.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:14 AM   #37
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

I don't recall if Innate Attack allows you to normally ramp down the damage in this regard; s.
Probably not. There's an Enhancement (Variable?) for that.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #38
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Probably not. There's an Enhancement (Variable?) for that.
So there is; I was looking for it in the Selective family of Enhancements (Selective Area, Selective Effect, Selectivity) and missed it. So I'd say if you're able to "buy" Innate Attack a level at a time, said Innate Attack needs Variable.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #39
Donny Brook

Combatants with no unarmed fighting skills automatically use Telegraphed Attacks (specifically contrary to MA113).

Last edited by Donny Brook; 08-24-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:11 PM   #40
Donny Brook

Observation skill is all about noticing, not about being unnoticed. Use Stealth, Shadowing, Camoflage, or Savoir Faire, as appropropriate, for the latter.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules