Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #1251
TGLS

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The "Aft* Section" of deck 19 is mostly locked down and housing Daymar's old mess. The area "Aft of life support" in the fore area of deck 19 is were all of deck 19.

Which is all to say that the "party zone" of deck 19 is 19E-19F, and that's where all of the people are. There may be one or two stragglers on the rest of the deck, plus Daymar's old section locked off in 19AB (but isolated from the lasers).

*Aft means towards the back of the ship, or closer to "A".
Oops. Should try not to use lingo I'm not clear on.

Quote:
So F, G, and E. Hua is working on Setting the G fire with the E fire is discovered...
Can I not set (or at least stop setting) the G fire on account of panic already happening?

Quote:
She must have done too good a job. A fire alert is sounded for the ship...
And thus now everyone's been alerted...

Quote:
and the security troops show up almost immediately afterwards.
Have they started arresting everyone en masse?

Quote:
However, the alert has spread to the control centers of the ship: Fire!
So the control centres need to approve general alarm I guess? Well either the control centres are taken or alarm will spread regardless I guess. I'll try to keep an eye out for anyone trying to get away from the security officers.
Quote:
[828] 22-03-08 21:12:43 CET
Observation
3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 3 = 9 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #1252
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
the second mate cowers with his hands on his head.

there is another shot somewhere in the room, and a lot of activity, but the security appear to be doing a good job against their out gunned and intimidated foes.

The control station barks a sound "One of my men in the hall saw a large detachment of security. Is there anything I need to be aware of?"
Daymar walks over to the second mate, lays his hand on him, releases his control and then attempts mental surgery.

[829] 22-03-08 22:26:37 CET

Mental Surgery (Fanaticism La Quinta Republica), All-Out Concentrate

3d6 <= 16
4 + 5 + 6 = 15 ... success

Narrow margin of success, unfortunately, for the moment he verbally orders the second mate to remain in his position and gets one of the guards to cover him.

He then identifies the person who would be staffing the communications, and tries Suggestion.

[830] 22-03-08 22:28:09 CET

Suggestion

3d6 <= 16
3 + 6 + 1 = 10 ... success

Assuming that's successful, he will have the person respond and report that everything is under control here.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #1253
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Oops. Should try not to use lingo I'm not clear on.
"Aft" means "rear". Same root as "After", I think. For whatever reason I find it the least intuitive of the four ship directions.

Quote:
Can I not set (or at least stop setting) the G fire on account of panic already happening?
done!

Quote:
Have they started arresting everyone en masse?
They have. And you have enought to block all the entrances.

Quote:
So the control centres need to approve general alarm I guess? Well either the control centres are taken or alarm will spread regardless I guess. I'll try to keep an eye out for anyone trying to get away from the security officers.
The security officers round everyone up for "Questioning". A few of them want to help fight the fires first, but security insists on cordoning them off in a room. No one trying to get away is any good at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar walks over to the second mate, lays his hand on him, releases his control and then attempts mental surgery.

Narrow margin of success, unfortunately, for the moment he verbally orders the second mate to remain in his position and gets one of the guards to cover him.
It appears to have worked, though Daymar is unsure of the effect.

Quote:
He then identifies the person who would be staffing the communications, and tries Suggestion.

Assuming that's successful, he will have the person respond and report that everything is under control here.
"We're running an operation. No, you were not informed. Operational security. Everything is running as planned."

"I'll expect a full report afterwords."

"I'll let Commander Chaputhor ..."

The second mate yells "Dreadstormers!" as loud as he can. The guard on him fires, and a laser goes right through the mate's torso.

"What's that!" The man on the other side says in alarm.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-09-2022 at 09:05 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #1254
TGLS

Quote:
"Aft" means "rear". Same root as "After", I think. For whatever reason I find it the least intuitive of the four ship directions.
I dunno, maybe I'm too used to "left before, right after". Anyway, I'll just go with A is for Aft.
Quote:
They have. And you have enought to block all the entrances.

The security officers round everyone up for "Questioning". A few of them want to help fight the fires first, but security insists on cordoning them off in a room. No one trying to get away is any good at it...
Well I suppose I should deal with the fire next. Are the sprinklers doing their work? Would going back to life support and evacuating the air from the compartments where there's a fire work well enough?

Quote:
The second mate yells "Dreadstormers!" as loud as he can. The guard on him fires, and a laser goes right through the mate's torso.

We shot the invisible Dreadstormer, but unfortunately Second Mate X did not survive.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #1255
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
It appears to have worked, though Daymar is unsure of the effect.

"We're running an operation. No, you were not informed. Operational security. Everything is running as planned."

"I'll expect a full report afterwords."

"I'll let Commander Chaputhor ..."

Daymar suggests the following response, "Someone the second mate identified as a dreadstormer approached the command centre, the second mate scared him off, but was shot while doing so. The situation seems under control now, but security will need to try to track down the dreadstormer."
Old 03-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #1256
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well I suppose I should deal with the fire next. Are the sprinklers doing their work? Would going back to life support and evacuating the air from the compartments where there's a fire work well enough?
Life support doesn't control air evacuation from compartments. That's done manually. It will work though, as will the sprinklers.... security rolls a 5 on their spacer rolls! the fire is quickly brought under control, and air vented from the relevant compartments.

Quote:
We shot the invisible Dreadstormer, but unfortunately Second Mate X did not survive.
Quote:
Daymar suggests the following response, "Someone the second mate identified as a dreadstormer approached the command centre, the second mate scared him off, but was shot while doing so. The situation seems under control now, but security will need to try to track down the dreadstormer."
Nice thinking!

Make any complementary rolls to improve the lie you can think of: your own military savoire-faire, leadership, fast-talk, and psychology are all good candidates.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #1257
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Nice thinking!

Make any complementary rolls to improve the lie you can think of: your own military savoire-faire, leadership, fast-talk, and psychology are all good candidates.
Of those, savoir-faire (military) is highest my skill level, so I'll use that. The roll was successful, but only had a narrow margin of success. Still, might be enough for a slight bonus.

[838] 22-03-10 18:24:43 CET

Savoir-Faire (Military)

3d6 <= 15
6 + 3 + 5 = 14 ... success
Old 03-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #1258
Hide

Quote:
(...) If Pacifica wants to position to attack both of them in one maneuver using any of rapid strike, evaluate +3, telegraphic strike, and hit locations, she can go right ahead (...)
Pacifica takes a split DWA, with evaluate +3, AOA determined +4 and telegraphic +4. She attacks them from the back, and hits the skull of the guards.

Pacifica DWA 1 (Karate, PSI)
3d6 < 15
5 + 2 + 2 = 9 ... success

Pacifica DWA 2 (Karate, PSI)
3d6 < 15
3 + 1 + 2 = 6 ... critical success

Crit. head table:
3d6
2 + 1 + 3 = 6, since it was from behind, treat as 4 (automatic major wound).

Injury 1:
(2d6+4)*4 (skull)
(1 + 4 + 4 = 9) * 4 = 36

Injury 2:
(2d6+4)*4 (skull)
(5 + 3 + 4 = 12) * 4 = 48
Old 03-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #1259
TGLS

Quote:
Life support doesn't control air evacuation from compartments. That's done manually. It will work though, as will the sprinklers.... security rolls a 5 on their spacer rolls! the fire is quickly brought under control, and air vented from the relevant compartments.
OK, I guess that wraps up my first task. Who's quartered in the bow area on floor 18? What's with the control center in 17I? Am I in the future relative to Daymar, or would it be possible to contact the command center to coordinate further activities? Are the missiles dumb impactors or are they explosive?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #1260
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Of those, savoir-faire (military) is highest my skill level, so I'll use that. The roll was successful, but only had a narrow margin of success. Still, might be enough for a slight bonus.
And the fast talk succeeds!

"I'll put the security here with me on high alert. Do you need any of them? How commander Chaputhor is doing. Is he going to make it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica takes a split DWA, with evaluate +3, AOA determined +4 and telegraphic +4. She attacks them from the back, and hits the skull of the guards.
They both go down.

Thorpojor gives the orders, and the security squads burst in. They shout for everyone to stand up with their hands away from their desks.

The Navigation and the Gunnery officers are on duty here. They stand up and the Gunnery officer challenges: "On who's authority?". The Navigation officer is standing immediately next to a comm.

Most people are slowly standing up from their desks.

Quote:
OK, I guess that wraps up my first task. Who's quartered in the bow area on floor 18? What's with the control center in 17I? Am I in the future relative to Daymar, or would it be possible to contact the command center to coordinate further activities? Are the missiles dumb impactors or are they explosive?
Navigation and sensors are quartered in the bow of floor 18. So Pacifica's section.

The control center in 17I is a back up control for fighting when all the senors and comms are broken and no longer working. Its near to a viewer port and several plasma emmiters (which can be used as airlocks) and has simple controls for the engines and some of main weapons, as well as communication links to the other command centers, the officer's quarters, motive, missiles, and the main forward lasers. It is ordinarily staffed by a skeleton squad of about eight men, commanded by an NCO. It doesn't have control of the ship unless the individual posts grant it.

There are a mix of warheads. Some are explosive, some are dumb impactors surrounded by shield-piercing gear, and there is a small stock of nuclear warheads.