Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Harbinjer

Default Mixing Animation with Reality in GURPS

I had the idea to run a one-shot in a world where cartoon characters are real.... Think Roger Rabbit or Space Jam, or that scene in Mary Poppins with the Penguins. Or that other scene in Mary Poppins....

But then I got nervous because I don't know how the cartoon "rules" balance with the "real world" rules. I mean... How does a cartoon take damage? Can they die? Do they worry about encumbrance, or can they just pull a mallet out of their pocket? And how much damage does that mallet do??

Has anyone tried this before? Is there a supplement I'm not aware of that would answer all my questions? Does anyone have any suggestions/inspiration/ideas?

Pbpbpbpbleeeeease!?!
Harbinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Mixing Animation with Reality in GURPS

Oddly enough, I have a couple of passages about this in Templates Toolkit 2, which I hope to see released before too long. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinjer View Post
I had the idea to run a one-shot in a world where cartoon characters are real.... Think Roger Rabbit or Space Jam, or that scene in Mary Poppins with the Penguins. Or that other scene in Mary Poppins....

But then I got nervous because I don't know how the cartoon "rules" balance with the "real world" rules. I mean... How does a cartoon take damage? Can they die? Do they worry about encumbrance, or can they just pull a mallet out of their pocket? And how much damage does that mallet do??

Has anyone tried this before? Is there a supplement I'm not aware of that would answer all my questions? Does anyone have any suggestions/inspiration/ideas?

Pbpbpbpbleeeeease!?!
IMHO the easiest thing is to built a series of Cartoon (Race) Templates.

As pointed out in the Challenge for settings:GURPS TOON thread there are variations in a toon's power.

Many Disney toons are the most "human" in the amount of damage they can take before dying though there are exceptions. Snow White for example would be effectively a strange looking human with human stats while someone like Goofy could take a lot more damage possibly getting into Unkillable territory.

WB toons are much the opposite extreme with nearly ever one of them seeming to having a variant of Unkillable 3. For example, Daffy has blown himself up several times in the cartoons going up into the air as a ghost/angel but is fine the next picture.

Last edited by maximara; 06-09-2019 at 07:23 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinjer View Post

Pbpbpbpbleeeeease!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Oddly enough, I have a couple of passages about this in Templates Toolkit 2, which I hope to see released before too long. . . .
So far, at least until that book comes out, and I suspect for the campaign type you describe even then, the best I have seen is the article Animating Your Life in Pyramid #3/101 the Humor issue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Many Disney toons are the most "human" in the amount of damage they can take before dying though there are exceptions. Snow White for example would be effectively a strange looking human with human stats while someone like Goofy could take a lot more damage possibly getting into Unkillable territory.
I don't consider Snow White to be a toon. I consider her to be an animated image of a human woman in a fantasy story. You can use animation, just like motion picture photography, to tell a story about human beings; see for example the live action and animated Star Trek series.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I think that most cartoon characters would qualify as having Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Toon, -10%) [90] and Modular Abilities 2 (Cosmic Powers; Social, +0%; Signature Gear Only, -40%; Toon, -10%) [10]. That would probably explain most of their durability and equipment. The Toon (-10%) power modifier would require Code of Honor (Toon) [-10], which would require toons to adhere to the laws of toon comedy.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
I don't consider Snow White to be a toon. I consider her to be an animated image of a human woman in a fantasy story. You can use animation, just like motion picture photography, to tell a story about human beings; see for example the live action and animated Star Trek series.
That is true for our world but in a world where toons are "real" there is a distinction between human Kirk and Toon Kirk. They would function just like human actors do in our world with those with the durability going for the more "intense" roles ala 'Stuntman? I don't need no stinking stuntman.' Heck, you might have a few toons that have gone a little loopy and like being blown up, flattened, etc (Wile E Coyote).

If anime characters are also toons then things get real nasty real fast. Just because Ayanokoji Pai of 3x3 Eyes looks like a normal human (most of the time) doesn't mean she is a normal human.

Then there are beings like Dungeon Master from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (he was humanoid but odds are he wasn't human)
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
That's precisely why I avoid treating "animation" as a genre. It makes about the same amount of sense as treating "black and white" as a genre.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Goofy could take a lot more damage possibly getting into Unkillable territory.
In Kingdom Hearts, when Goofy reaches...

level 33 he gets an ability called "Second Wind" basically allows him to spontaneously come back to life with full HP a certain amount of time after he is killed.

level 36 he gets an ability called "Second Chance" which, so long as he has at least 2 HP, causes any hit to merely reduce him to 1 HP. Makes it really hard to kill him as long as you cure him after each near-death (getting damaged with only 1 HP left does kill him).

Not that it's unique to him, Ariel/Beast/Donald/Tarzan also get Second Wind (nothing for Jack Skellington, that's what you get for being Unliving!) and Beast/Donald/Tarzan get Second Chance (sorry mermaid)

In KH2, "Second Chance" is renamed "Last Leave" (Rasuto Rive) and this time Beast and Goofy are the only two Disney chars who have it.

"Second Wind" is renamed "Hyper Healing" and besides Beast+Goody, Donald and Mulan both have it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
Stormcrow

What is a "realistic" animation but a Toon who can act like a human? "Dying" is just part of the act.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote