Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #101
Cheeseball
Banned

Default Re: Ideas for a New long-term Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
First of all: schools often only offer advanced classes for certain metrics of advanced, AP classes in highscholl might let someone with an IQ12 finish college faster but only for some values of faster.
I agree with you, and this has already been cleared with some real life example.

Quote:
Secondly: I should have made the distinction bewteen IQ and effort, if a student is struggling they might actually put more hours into learning through tutoring and furious studying but still might come out with a lower effective skill.
I also agree, there you would have a perfect example for a character with low IQ.

Quote:
Regardless none of this talk of statlines and skill levels will make having more than one late twenties child-prodigy turned special forces character more believable to your players especially ones without significant disadvantages.
Ah, they have already swallowed that pill, now what I need are more characters, like rivals at their level, and others with different levels of power. If you have files, or stories, or anything, of characters that might fit, with its characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, etc., I'd be happy to incorporate them into the campaign.
Cheeseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #102
Varyon

Stepping out of the discussion for a bit, I suspect there isn't much more to be gained arguing over whether or not these prodigies-turned-Big-Boss characters are realistic - OP has made the case that they're perfectly fine (regardless of how much we may disagree with such a conclusion), and at this point I feel we've given ample warning about the threat to Sense of Disbelief and Player Agency these types of characters represent. No more sense beating on a dead horse.

Anything else about the setting you'd like to discuss, Cheeseball?
Old 04-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #103
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseball View Post
Ah, they have already swallowed that pill, now what I need are more characters, like rivals at their level, and others with different levels of power. If you have files, or stories, or anything, of characters that might fit, with its characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, etc., I'd be happy to incorporate them into the campaign.
Maybe check out DC and Marvel comics?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #104
newton

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Stepping out of the discussion for a bit, I suspect there isn't much more to be gained arguing over whether or not these prodigies-turned-Big-Boss characters are realistic - OP has made the case that they're perfectly fine (regardless of how much we may disagree with such a conclusion), and at this point I feel we've given ample warning about the threat to Sense of Disbelief and Player Agency these types of characters represent. No more sense beating on a dead horse.
Ok if you're just looking for mostly Inspiration I think I can still help.

One thing that's definitely struck me as a good source of inspiration is the metal gear series of videogames. I think it's got a good blend of both real world ideas and concepts with the more "rule of cool" type stuff. There's plenty of video essays(and normal essays) about the characters and plot in metal gear you can find online if that interests you.

One character(who coincidentally is also from a video game) that might be an inspiration for making rivals is Delford "Iraq" Wade from the first watchdogs series. The essence of his character is that after being dishonorably discharged from them military he applied all that skill and experience to the running of his own gang that quickly becomes very powerful. Whilst part of this is due to the "internet of things" setup watchdogs has where he leverages SIGINT knowledge to gain power it's also the application of strategy and discipline that really helps. Another part is that he keeps his inner circle well disciplined and teaches them what he learned as a veteran while keeping also around unskilled members to appear like a normal gang. There's a lot of ways you could make a more powerful version but the basic idea of "applying military skills to crime" is pretty interesting.
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #105
Donny Brook

Quote:
... now what I need are more characters, like rivals at their level, and others with different levels of power. If you have files, or stories, or anything, of characters that might fit, with its characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, etc., I'd be happy to incorporate them into the campaign.
Here's a thought.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:33 PM   #106
Purple Snit

Honestly, the best solution here is to just re-skin the npcs and templates you already have - they fit what you are trying to do, and will match any PCs that use similar templates. I don't think anyone here has characters at hand that will fit in to your campaign framework.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:53 PM   #107
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

Anything else about the setting you'd like to discuss, Cheeseball?
Or, you know, give us anything about the setting? All we've had so far is one fairly dull and uninteresting character writeup. A character I don't get anything about. What are her hopes, dreams, goals, motivations, fears, etc?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, campaign design