Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Getting More from Disadvantages

I've long struggled with what to do about social status in TFT. It is obviously essential to a full use of the concepts of jobs, guilds etc. in a fleshed out campaign, but there is no guidance. In some past house rules I've introduced talents that act as 'gate keepers' for status acquired before the start of play. It would be functionally equivalent if you made up a new category called 'advantages' and tied it to the talent point economy (with the perhaps added benefit that if you label it 'advantage' rather than 'talent' it will not be available for purchase later in play). Another way I've thought of doing this is with a 2d6 character trait, as per the ITL optional rules. But TFT is such a 'build a bear' game that I think it would be better to let people horse trade for their starting status when they make a character, and then let the job system deal with how you rise or fall in rank from there.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
tomc

As a counter point to "Courtly Graces", have a disadvantage "Raised in a Barn". My mom conferred it on me more than once. :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
larsdangly

An excellent suggestion!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advancement, attributes, characters