Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #1781
warellis

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Honestly, the SIG cartridges are kind of bad I feel, especially for the fact that SIG, unlike True Velocity, kind of weasel worded its way in via technicalities it used to push a round that doesn't save as much weight.

SIG, from what I recall, compared the weight to some proprietary SIG cartridge instead of to 7.62 NATO.

Frankly, I wonder how much that hybrid metal case of theirs can withstand such high pressures. Because at least with polymer cases, the energy needed to propel the bullet may be less, due to not needing as much powder.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #1782
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Frankly, I wonder how much that hybrid metal case of theirs can withstand such high pressures. Because at least with polymer cases, the energy needed to propel the bullet may be less, due to not needing as much powder.
How does a polymer case save on powder? You aren't propelling the case.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #1783
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
How does a polymer case save on powder? You aren't propelling the case.
There's less energy lost to heat transfer to the case and barrel, is the notion. I've heard slightly different options, where you shape the interior of the case to achieve better combustion.

I could poo-poo either theory easily: the detonation is over and the bullet gone long before it matters; affordable case extrusion or drawing isn't going to allow much interior shaping.

But we'll see: True Velocity is starting to offer their more conventional calibers to users "with only a barrel swap" and saying 30% weight savings. That might well be worth it in many arenas, so regardless of the ultimate fate of the RM277 ... I suspect we've not heard the last of the technology.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #1784
DouglasCole

I’m headed off to Fnordcon 5 tomorrow early in the morning (my flight departs for Austin at 7:30am), so I’m going to get this out on Thursday instead, as the odds of me doing this tomorrow are pretty low. This past week was mostly involved with making forward progress on several development efforts, and more shipping.
  • If you’re in the market for Gaming Ballistic stuff, all items on my new Shopify store are 13% off from now until the Day After FnordCon on May 2! Including gift cards!
  • Fulfillment is well underway for the hardcover Nordlond Bestiary, with books and cards from the UK to Australia, New Zealand arriving to reasonable acclaim. Certain countries are getting nailed for DHL “handling fees” which is irksome and I must think about this in the future.
  • I found the books on the water on their way to the port in New York and posted about it in Update #97 in the Kickstarter. The CMA CGM Tosca is due in port Monday, May 2. After that, it’s a bit of a toss-up, but about the earliest it would come in to Baltimore is a highly improbable “at the end of that week.” Best bet is the end of the following week, and the fulfillment company and I have already had “Ready, Set…” discussions about timing the final pick-and-pack.
  • With that in mind, all of the books that aren’t on the container ship are already at the fulfillment center, and I’m told the boxes arrived without damage.
  • Otherwise, it’s been a busy week for development. A TFT project with David is moving along, and I’m working with a new artist who is giving all the signs of working out very I’m making progress on my own Let Us Rejoice! as well as three other projects (all DFRPG) that are all relatively short.

More details at Ballistic’s Report for Week Ending Apr 29, 2022

Also, someone requested an updated unboxing video of the Quick Reference cards that were produced during the Kickstarter. So here it is.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #1785
DouglasCole

A reminder that until tomorrow (May 3), everything on the new MyShopify Gaming Ballistic store is 13% off, in celebration of the recently concluded FnordCon5 and a bit of a grand re-opening now that I've gotten off my wretched old eCommerce platform!

13% Off all GB Products until the end of the day, May 3!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #1786
DouglasCole

Books on the way and Fnordcon5 Report
Old 05-06-2022, 11:38 AM   #1787
DouglasCole

Ballistic’s Report — Week Ending May 6, 2022

FnordCon5 was a blast. The Bestiary is in the USA, or at least in port! Maybe the Best Week Ever for my non-Kickstarter revenue. I chat for over two hours with Erik Tenkar.
  • I have pulled the trigger, so to speak, on a theme change on my blog. I’ve moved from my old custom theme to one called Kadence, which is more modern and responsive.
  • The new Shopify store has been a real hit so far. Good feedback about responsiveness and presentation. and a stunning total sales number since the store opened on March 24, probably tied to the month-long re-opening sale
  • The Bestiary made port on Tuesday or Wednesday (May 3-4) and now we’re in the unload, clear customs, and get it over by rail to Baltimore phase. That’s usually a week all told but is likely two or more in reality.
  • I had a fun discussion that started (and continued, and finished…) with no agenda and lasted for over two hours with Erik Tenkar and BadMike on his Talking Crit I’ve been consorting with Erik for like 10 years now, ever since I played with him, Tim Shorts, Peter Dell’Orto, Joe the Lawyer, and others in his B-Team Swords and Wizardry game. Chatting with him is always a good time.
  • I attended FnordCon5 in Austin, TX last weekend. It was a small convention, but that let me meet just about everyone. I posted a wrap-up of my impressions on my blog.

More details here.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #1788
DouglasCole

BALLISTIC’S REPORT – WEEK ENDING MAY 20, 2022

The Bestiary has cleared customs and now we just have to get it to the fulfillment center. A new draft and a new cover are on my desk and nearly finished the preliminary stage of production. Progress continues with other books too. Closed down the old WooCommerce site. Some popular blog posts.

• I shut down the WooCommerce site and am now 100% on Shopify.
• As a side effect, the main blog site suddenly got fast. Or at least not glacially slow, which is still huge.
• The Bestiary hardcopies cleared customs and are now in the “schedule pickup” stage. Once we get it on a truck, it’s 3-5 hours to Baltimore, and then we can get final fulfillment underway.
• I made major progress on the next TFT book, a solo by David Pulver called ‘Till Death Do Us Part. Look for it on Kickstarter very soon.
• The Foundry VTT module is now in active test with users, with 50 users having received license keys, and my Patreon subscribers getting beta-test versions. Full distribution is pending making sure that there are no super-egregious errors.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:44 AM   #1789
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
[SIZE="4"]
• The Foundry VTT module is now in active test with users, with 50 users having received license keys, and my Patreon subscribers getting beta-test versions. Full distribution is pending making sure that there are no super-egregious errors.
Have key, but can't use it. Purchase button on FVTT goes to the Gaming Ballistic website so no way to use the key to install or activate the module?
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #1790
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Have key, but can't use it. Purchase button on FVTT goes to the Gaming Ballistic website so no way to use the key to install or activate the module?
If you have a key you don’t need to purchase the content. You’ve already done so.

Go into Foundry and go to activate purchased content, put in your key, and it will download and install the content.

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb