Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #1761
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Ballistic’s Report for Week Ending Feb 11, 2022

This last week was about revisions and updates to the Bestiary, plus a bit of inhale-exhale. The project is really close to entering the printing phase, and the focus is on purging errors from the main draft.
  • The last week was primarily about getting to a complete version of the book. That happened on Feb 7, where I completed the index, hyperlinks, and a few missing pieces.
  • Since then, I’ve pushed out a few new revisions, so that folks aren’t asked to review and comment on drafts that have errors long since corrected. The current version of the file is “Lightweight” u20220210c. I reverted to pushing low-resolution intermediate drafts as they’re 25MB instead of 75MB.
  • We revised the grimmdar (totally not a pit fiend) to make it more interesting
  • I spent a bunch of time yesterday adding another layer to the file. This layer is behind the background but holds non-funky characters for all monsters with funky characters. So if you type in blodughufa or blodthrysta instead of blóðughufa (I actually think there’s another accent in there somewhere) or my all-time favorite blóðþrysta, you’ll get to the monster page. I tried to include some variant misspellings too, so that if you get it wrong (like sharkmen or shark men instead of shark-men) you still get there. Also, if you type, say “grick” or “marilith” or “behir” you’ll not just go to p. 25, but also get to the borall (boráll), peshkali/blaðakona/Queen of Blades, or the eldingarlaun. Hopefully this makes the file more user-friendly.
  • I’m trying to pivot (today, actually) from “tweak typos in draft” to “check to make sure all damages and such are correct, and then update the layout for cards and the spreadsheet for easy export.” The last few weeks have been all about the draft, but now I have to make sure the master database that I’ll also use for the Foundry VTT module is up-to-date with the main draft.
  • I pushed out v1.0 of the tokens, with full-body art on a circular background. This took vaguely forever because InDesign’s file naming system is predictable but not helpful. So I have to rename every single token. Blech, but necessary.
  • It’s also time for me to start thinking about future work. I want to take a deep breath before I do more monster work, even for other systems, though that will come. I started the re-engagement process with some of my contributors, too. Ironically, while I feel I need to do “not-GURPS” next, it feels like all the ideas I’m coming up with are for Powered by GURPS projects. That won’t work, but it provides a really fun to-do list for the future.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #1762
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
  • I spent a bunch of time yesterday adding another layer to the file. This layer is behind the background but holds non-funky characters for all monsters with funky characters. So if you type in blodughufa or blodthrysta instead of blóðughufa (I actually think there’s another accent in there somewhere) or my all-time favorite blóðþrysta, you’ll get to the monster page. I tried to include some variant misspellings too, so that if you get it wrong (like sharkmen or shark men instead of shark-men) you still get there. Also, if you type, say “grick” or “marilith” or “behir” you’ll not just go to p. 25, but also get to the borall (boráll), peshkali/blaðakona/Queen of Blades, or the eldingarlaun. Hopefully this makes the file more user-friendly.

• It’s also time for me to start thinking about future work. I want to take a deep breath before I do more monster work, even for other systems, though that will come. I started the re-engagement process with some of my contributors, too. Ironically, while I feel I need to do “not-GURPS” next, it feels like all the ideas I’m coming up with are for Powered by GURPS projects. That won’t work, but it provides a really fun to-do list for the future.
That hidden layer trick sounds seriously awesome, labor intensive (coming up with alternate spellings and likely typos), unheard of (to me anyway) attention to detail, and super useful - Especially given your use of accent marks and other things people who don't have the alt key dictionary memorized have trouble with. Did I mention that sounds awesome?
Does it also include the common monster names - seems like that would be useful and less work than figuring out possible typos.

The last is disappointing, as I was really hoping to see Mission X or whatever its going to be called this year.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #1763
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

The last is disappointing, as I was really hoping to see Mission X or whatever its going to be called this year.
No, I mean "IMMEDIATELY" next. I don't want to follow a big GURPS project with another GURPS project because wallet fatigue. I still want to do Mission X this year, though it's nontrivial in scope.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #1764
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Does it also include the common monster names - seems like that would be useful and less work than figuring out possible typos.

Yes. If you type in "pit fiend" you'll find the list of common names on p. 25 as well as jumping to the "grimmdar" entry wherever that is.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #1765
Refplace

Quote:
No, I mean "IMMEDIATELY" next. I don't want to follow a big GURPS project with another GURPS project because wallet fatigue. I still want to do Mission X this year, though it's nontrivial in scope.
YAY!
Try to time the kickstarter for a month or two after My Template book comes out so I can spend more on you ok?
Time it wrong and I may have too much peer pressure to waste it on something like glasses.

Quote:
Yes. If you type in "pit fiend" you'll find the list of common names on p. 25 as well as jumping to the "grimmdar" entry wherever that is.
You sir a wonderful and such detail really needs to be pointed out in the marketing.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #1766
DouglasCole

Catching up a bit. Two "weekly reports" from Gaming Ballistic.

Ballistic’s Report for Week Ending Feb 25, 2022

This last week was about finalizing the Bestiary PDF, getting the Quick-Reference cards ready to print, and a whole bunch of shipping-related hassle.

• The printer had a bit of slop in the schedule, so we took the opportunity to detail-scrub the book a few more times. The latest version of the PDF is u20220223 and it has a bunch of stat-tweaks and fixes, plus finally fixing the bookmarking issue that put all the monsters under “Acolyte” for reasons only known to Adobe
• I pushed out four versions of the monster tokens
• I sent the final complete files including cover and interior to the printer; printing is schedule to start Sunday!
• I went through and created both the Core Deck and Expansion Deck reference cards, sent files to my card printer, and had those approved as well
• I then created the “print your own” PDF file from that and pushed that to vendors
• Work on the VTT module has started with Nick and Nose. That’s actually the last piece of content creation pending
• So we’re down to manufacturing and logistics, which is non-trivial.
o I have manufacturing of books in Eastern Europe, and cards here in MN, and inventory here in MN
o I have to stage stuff in the UK and in Baltimore
o The most pressing question at the moment is how and when to divide the books coming out of Eastern Europe, how much, and how long. Unsurprisingly, given how small my order is (600kg of books total), the largest expense is getting it on a ship, and then my per-kg cost after that is low. The thing that will almost certainly decide it is expected import/export charges to pass through the UK, and quantity and price of direct shipping from continental Europe to the US vs the UK to the US.
o I got a tentative estimate for when the cards will be ready that pleases me.
• I did actually do some “future revenue” writing as well as conversations with a few people who might write for me.
• I started looking into migrating my eCommerce to not-Wordpress/WooCommerce.
• I really need a short break.

Ballistic’s Report for Week Ending March 4, 2022

Logistics, Shipping, Pain, and Cards. That summarizes the week.

• Mostly I spent the week working on logistics. Staging roughly four planned shipments: books to the UK, books to Baltimore, books-and-cards to the UK, and books-and-cards to Baltimore. This sets up final fulfillment.
• All the shipping and postage costs are coming in. They’re all really, really high. Something like 65-75% cost overrun because of things just being darn expensive. Shipping is going to likely run a third more than total print costs.
• I did plan for this overrun and will cover it almost exactly, but it puts me in a tight spot already in 2022. I have an idea for this.
• In the “good news” department, I asked my card vendor for an update on status, and the update arrived: “They’re done.” Well, well. So I went and got them (the vendor is local).
• I also heard that the first advance copies of the hardcover book should be coming off the press and in the mail to me in a week or so. Hopefully they’ll arrive and be as pretty as they should be.
• Next week is going to be very stressful, as it’s time to finalize logistics.
• I played in an actual game last week!
Old 03-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #1767
DouglasCole

Ballistic’s Report for Week Ending March 11, 2022

More logistics. Even more than that. Also some Web Store musings and stymied action.
  • Excellent progress on all shipping fronts. “Not the Bestiary” staged to the UK. Shipping documents being worked by freight broker and direct between printer and ShipQuest. The final shipment of “not the Bestiary” to Maryland to be worked out next week, but I can accurately predict the pricing.
  • Speaking of postage, I got a much more accurate “Rest of World” postage estimate, which was not as catastrophic as I was expecting. My cost overruns on shipping are likely less than I thought. Not zero, though.
  • Did an unboxing video of the cards. Dang they look good.
  • Got bids to migrate my online store to Shopify, because I’m simply TIRED of the issues with Woo. Three bids so far, but the firm I want to give the business is not returning my emails, calls, or Shopify Experts notes. Perhaps a blessing in disguise? Still…they would be the right choice if I could only hire them.
  • I should get the advance copies of the hardcover Bestiary in three days!
  • I think I get to play another game on this coming Monday. Woot.
  • Not all weeks are exciting, and this was one of those. Should see a LOT more interesting progress next week.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #1768
DouglasCole

Announcing the release of the PDF version of the Norðlondr Óvinabókin, A Powered by GURPS Bestiary and Enemies book for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fantasy roleplaying game in possession of dungeons, must be in want of more monsters. More than that. Even more!

This book lets you see just how over your head you really are. Page on page of creatures, both mundane and magical. All converted to be fully compatible with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, Powered by GURPS.

From the smallest pixie to the largest giant, you’ll find it inside. Norðalfar and Eðlufólk, Ormur and Falleglyigi. And of course dragons.

Within this book find
  • Nearly 200 creatures, fully statted out in an easy-to-read layout for quick reference
  • Notes on animal and monster behavior, tactics, and ecological niche
  • Suggestions on how to use these creatures in play
  • Details on some of Norðlond’s more important types of creatures, from dragons and their servants, to the dangerous faerie of the Frostharrow, and the demons of Muspelheim.

This is the PDF (digital-only) version of this product.

Norðlondr Óvinabókin
Nordlond Bestiary and Enemies Book, Powered by GURPS
192 pages, full color
978-1-950368-53-2
$35.00
Old 03-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #1769
clu2415

This may be old news, but SAAMI has accepted 6.8 True Velocity Composite. Like you guessed, it’s designed for 65,000 psi.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #1770
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
This may be old news, but SAAMI has accepted 6.8 True Velocity Composite. Like you guessed, it’s designed for 65,000 psi.
Sounds like I need to look it up, see what I got right and wrong, and do a Reloading Press!

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb