Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Ndreare

Default How to Value a Limitation?

In our setting one of the players wants to be a mana enhancer. This will allow him to use his magic while in tech environments. But he can only access the power while in contact with a prepared metal device. So if captured or taken away from him he cannot access the power. The device also breaks down from use

However the device is not unique, and if destroyed he could begin crafting another one to replace it that helps him access the power.

I think this is basically "Accessibility" about the same as the "Only while playing trumpet: -20%" example.

For those of you more experience in GURPS than I does this seem like a reasonable value?
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: How to Value a Limitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndreare View Post
In our setting one of the players wants to be a mana enhancer. This will allow him to use his magic while in tech environments. But he can only access the power while in contact with a prepared metal device. So if captured or taken away from him he cannot access the power. The device also breaks down from use

However the device is not unique, and if destroyed he could begin crafting another one to replace it that helps him access the power.
This is what Gadget (p.B116) is for.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
This is what Gadget (p.B116) is for.
I don't think that's properly a Gadget, because the device isn't what has the power. It seems to be a Trigger. Since the device must be found or made, it's worth -40%. See p. B115.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
Ndreare

Oh, thanks for the pointers guys. Trigger is exactly what the player was describing. A device he makes, allowing him to access the power breaks down with use.

Very perfect.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote