Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Training time for talents and spells

Do you allow for training time to substitute for some or all of the XP cost of a new talent or spell?

If so what's the conversion rate?

Does having a personal trainer help?

Does this apply for on-the-job training?

ITL 60 seems to imply that three months of training is worth one memory point (500 XPs). Assuming that's 20 hours/week (moonlighting at the traps) that's 2 XP per hour's training under idea supervised conditions.

Last edited by hcobb; 07-21-2021 at 01:57 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Training time for talents and spells

Yes, though only in some cases. For talents that I think the character could learn just by training, they can earn XP that only applies to the talent they are training. Since I also require the old guideline of at least 3 months of training/study per IQ point, an effective training program tend to earn about 5 training XP (only usable for the trained talent) per day (assuming a cost of 500 XP per talent point). I also require it to make sense to me that the character can be training, by having the right circumstances (e.g. access to someplace to swim, for Swimming; access to spells books for learning spells, access to horses for Horsemanship), a trainer and/or book, and the needed materials. How good those materials and trainers are, and how much time can be put into it, may affect the rate.

Learning on the job would only count as a fraction of the time spent, unless the job is actually having you just spend all your time in a good training program to learn just that talent. If your trainer isn't very good and you have to do many other things with your time other than study that talent, the rate will be much less than if you were getting good instruction.

Some people may also not be great students, which can also slow down their learning.

And, it depends on what the talent is. If I (or a player) finds good information that it should really take some other amount of time to learn a particular talent, I'll use that. Some talents I generally would not have just be learnable, such as Acute Hearing. Some others might take special training programs. Others might require actual experience.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
TippetsTX

This actually gives me an idea... what if receiving directed talent training required a weekly IQ roll somewhat like the recurring DX roll required for the creation of magic items and potions?
Old 07-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Do you allow for training time to substitute for some or all of the XP cost of a new talent or spell?
In my article "Learning Talents Through Books" in The Fanzine Trip volume 1 (soon to be released), book study will allow you to get Talents/Languages/Spells cheaper. Book-Study is meant to be a long-term commitment in a campaign game.

I use the Original ITL 'gaining Talents' concept that you have to commit beforehand (by owning the book and studying it) before gaining the benefit. If you jump to something else beforehand, there is a penalty.

When using book-study, normal Talent costs are 50% off. Book-study only covers part of the learning, the rest will come from apprenticeship, trial and error, continuous practice or other methods. One would still need to go to Mechanician’s Guild or Thieves’ Guild to finish certain talents. There are a many Talents that book-learning will only give 10% off.

Different types of books give you different learning. Textbooks, Generalized books, Manuals, Language Primers, Dictionaries, even fiction can help some fields.

You can even learn Literacy through kid's alphabet books.

I'm using percentages-off-Talent-XP-Cost as a way of saying it reduces the time involved in learning Talent. This also gives value to finding books as treasure.

Note: "Learning Talents Through Books" can be combined with any of the suggestions in the previous posts.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I don't. This idea might be realistic, OK it certainly is at least more realistic than the idea I learn by butchering orcs, but is it fun? I think if you want to put training into the experience system you could probably start by throwing the current experience system out the window and making training a replacement.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote