Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Mock26

Default Play by post?

Many, many years ago, probably around 2011, a member of these forums was running a play by post game (possibly with Vassal) and had the board and various game pieces hosted on his website and players sent their turn orders via PM. It was a ton of fun but then suddenly the person hosting the game stopped updating the board or responding to messages. I sure do miss that game.

With that being said, is anyone here running a play by post game? If so I would love to get in on that.

And if not, is Vassal still a good tool for running such games? Is there a better option?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
Toltrin

Default Re: Play by post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mock26 View Post
Many, many years ago, probably around 2011, a member of these forums was running a play by post game (possibly with Vassal) and had the board and various game pieces hosted on his website and players sent their turn orders via PM. It was a ton of fun but then suddenly the person hosting the game stopped updating the board or responding to messages. I sure do miss that game.

With that being said, is anyone here running a play by post game? If so I would love to get in on that.

And if not, is Vassal still a good tool for running such games? Is there a better option?
I have found that turn based strategy games like Axis and Allies, risk, etc are the best for play by mail or PM. What do you think?
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
swordtart

I played CW by facebook group.

I posted the updated map phase by phase in the files section. We had plenty of non-combat activity. It was enjoyable and surprisingly deep.

Unfortunately it took forever to play (I had novice players) and far too much work for the GM. Players often forget the workload of actually hosting an event.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
swordtart

I played CW by facebook group.

I posted the updated map phase by phase in the files section. We had plenty of non-combat activity. It was enjoyable and surprisingly deep.

Unfortunately it took forever to play (about 12 months per 24 hours that passed in game). I had a few novice players which meant lots of time was spent discussing what moves were possible but even discounting that it was far too much work for the GM. Players often forget the workload of actually hosting an event.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote