Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default [DF] Enchantment to uncap the max ST of a weapon?

One of the characters in my Dungeon Fantasy game, a catgirl swashbuckler, is thinking about taking the power-up that allows DX based Power Blow. The thing is, with Power Blow, the character will hit the maximum ST of the weapon, and waste part of the effect. The weapon was bought as Signature Gear, with the Named Possession perk, and the character has a vow to use no other weapon. I'm thinking about consuming part of the enchantment pool the weapon currently has unallocated, for a custom enchantment that either uncaps the maximum ST of the (already Unbreakable, via enchantment) weapon, or increases min ST.

Option 1:
Custom enchantment that removes the min ST of the weapon. I'm at a loss for the actual price for this, but I eyeball it at $5k-$10k, comparing it to other enchantments
Option 2:
State that the weapons misteriously brow to SM+1, multiplying the ST requirements by 1.5, and slightly increase damage. This adds cost to the weapon equal to the different between the SM+0 weapon and the SM+1 weapon, and is relatively cheap, so I might double or triple it.
Option 3:
Create a custom enchantment that makes the weapon denser, increasing min ST and weight, as if it was SM+1, but without increasing the actual size. Cost here would be perhaps more expensive than option 2, for sheer surprise value.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: [DF] Enchantment to uncap the max ST of a weapon?

M53, Essential Earth? Triples HP, DR, and one assumes weight? Can you use this to back-calculate MinST? LTC2:15-16.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
vierasmarius

You could use the Enlarge Object spell, perhaps stored in runes or a spellstone on the weapon itself. This would increase the weapon's min and max ST, Reach, and damage, but may look rather comical. It would also require the oversized weapons perk, which may not be thematically appropriate for a Swashbuckler.

Perhaps a variant of the Enlarge Object spell could affect just the mass but not the dimensions. I'm not sure how to price that though... On the one hand you lose the extra Reach and potential intimidation factor. On the other hand, there's the ease of use, and the surprise factor you mentioned. Considering that a creature's SM is just a feature, I'd be tempted to make Enlarge Object (Weight) the same cost to learn or cast as the original spell.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
M53, Essential Earth? Triples HP, DR, and one assumes weight? Can you use this to back-calculate MinST? LTC2:15-16.
Hmm, that's a good point. There's no mention of increased weight, but HP is always based on weight, not on "object toughness" like in 3e. Unfortunately, triple HP corresponds to a +3 SM, or roughly x30 weight. This would be a huge change to the Essential Earth spell, drastically changing the manner in which such materials could be used. Presumably the 200% extra HP are purely magical, with no physical component...

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Kalzazz

Id cost it as shatterproof, the weapon can stand up to excessive punishment of being used past ST limits

edit - well, actually, I'd just ignore it for Power Blow and such, it seems to me power blow should contain the fun ki ability to ignore weapon limits already
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hmm, that's a good point. There's no mention of increased weight, but HP is always based on weight, not on "object toughness" like in 3e. Unfortunately, triple HP corresponds to a +3 SM, or roughly x30 weight. This would be a huge change to the Essential Earth spell, drastically changing the manner in which such materials could be used. Presumably the 200% extra HP are purely magical, with no physical component...
More HP doesn't mean a greater SM. It could be the same SM just denser.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Yeah, it'd make a Orichalcum Edged Rapier weigh 70 pounds. Probably not the best solution. Though SM wouldn't change, just density. Though you might use it as a basepoint to calculate a cost for increasing the weight to 70 lbs, and then declare a different magitech material that is midway in cost to create.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably going with an Enlarge Object variant, that doesn't require the user to be a mage, but that can only affect the user's twin edged rapiers. I'll offer the player the choice between increased actual size, or increased density, for the same price.

Essential Earth is a non-issue, since Orichalcum weapons already exist, and they have other effects in DF

Still, keep them coming!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote