Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
GURPS Fox

Default Hydrocarbon Fuel Cells for 3e

So, I've been working on a CnC Tiberium/CnC Generals fusion (with some bits from the Earth 21X0 series and Act of Aggression) for a 'remake CnC' setting and one of the things is that most of the petrol/diesel/aviation gas is gone, most of the oil deposits are gone and the majority of the infrastructure for its creation is consumed by a certain von-neumann crystal.

So, GDI is currently using propane/LNG to fuel the engines for its vehicles until proper proton-proton chain fusion reactors get produced in sufficient numbers for mass deployment on vehicles. Using LNG makes things, oddly enough, worse. An LNG-fueled ceramic engine for what is a Humvee requires (for a 10-hour fuel duration) almost 3.5 metric tons of LNG (or 6,814 liters/1800 gallons).

I've checked MA Lloyd's Vehicle Expansion and it makes an LNG-powered fuel cell even worse:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Lloyd's Vehicle Expansion, Chapter 7
*Hydrocarbon Fuel Cells* are fuel cells that consume hydrocarbon fuels and atmospheric oxygen, and exhaust water and carbon dioxide, though there is usually some intermediate chemistry involving catalytic water to convert the hydrocarbon to hydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide. Hydrocarbon fuel cells will run on high grade multi-fuel, but not cheap ones like diesel, or even most standard gasoline or alcohol mixtures. Multiply fuel consumption by 0.8 if using aviation gas, 1.2 if alcohol, 1.5 if propane or hydrazine, 2.0 if methane. The cell can even run on hydrogen, using 1.2 times as much as a hydrogen fuel cell of the same TL.
It is almost like it's forcing you to go fusion as soon as possible and damn the consequences.

From my understanding, RL HC-FCs would be taking a third of the fuel consumption of their standard hydrogen counterparts... not half again. In addition, an HC-FC is 2.375 times heavier than the equivalent supercharged ceramic engine using LNG while having a fraction of the fuel consumption...

If there is a way to make HC-FCs work, I would be glad to hear it.

Last edited by GURPS Fox; 11-09-2021 at 12:30 AM.
GURPS Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Hydrocarbon Fuel Cells for 3e

How about giving them the same weight and price as the VE2 hydrogen fuelled ones, and giving them a multifuel consumption equal to the listed hydrgen consumption times the ratio multifuel to hydrogen given for IC engines (so about 0.02 gph at TL9+). This makes them economical but heavy.

Note that there are other options aside from fusion - fission reactors are lighter and cheaper at TL9. Also, rechargable powercells can be lighter and more compact than engine plus fuel for shorter durations (exactly how short depends on the engine and fuel), which can be over 12 hours.

One other thing - do these extra rules use realistic fuel consumptions (VE2X p.23) and thus give consumptions three time higher than VE2 assumes?

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 11-09-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:24 AM   #3
GURPS Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
How about giving them the same weight and price as the VE2 hydrogen fuelled ones, and giving them a multifuel consumption equal to the listed hydrgen consumption times the ratio multifuel to hydrogen given for IC engines (so about 0.02 gph at TL9+). This makes them economical but heavy.
Please note that using gas turbines would balloon my fuel requirements, especially since my setting has ETC guns (firing AP ammunition) as standard.

To give you an idea, I'll give you three different engines using standard vehicle calculations:
  • Ceramic Engine (Supercharged, LNG fuel): 4MW output, 88111lbs/3997kg weight, 180gph
  • Gas Turbine (standard, LNG Fuel): 4MW output, 4417lbs/2003kg, 330gph
  • Hydrocarbon Fuel Cell (LNG Fuel): 4MW, 2025lbs/9083kg, 153gph (/3)/80gph (multifuel modifier)

With a running time of 10 hours being an outright requirement (because, well, a certain von-neumann crystal ate most of the oil fields and associated infrastructure outside of, essentially, those in enemy hands), you can see where this is going.

Note, the current Humvee equiv has an engine grouping (fuel and all) of 22281lbs/6677kg in terms of mass.
Quote:
Note that there are other options aside from fusion - fission reactors are lighter and cheaper at TL9.
Are they MHD Turbines or something else?
Quote:
One other thing - do these extra rules use realistic fuel consumptions (VE2X p.23) and thus give consumptions three time higher than VE2 assumes?
MA Lloyd's Vehicle Expansion says this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Lloyd's Vehicle Expansion, Chapter 7
p82a Realistic Fuel Consumption
Many fuel consumptions in Vehicles are seriously understated (see p82). Realistically jets use nearly 5 times as much fuel as indicated (1.75 times as much for hydrogen burners). Hydrocarbon-burning internal combustion engines and turbines use about 3 times the stated volumes, hydrogen burners about 1.5 times. Fuel cell and rocket engine consumptions are about correct. The numbers in the additions in this chapter are realistic, if the existing figures in Vehicles are kept, you will need to divide these appropriately and be prepared to veto perpetual motion designs. On the other hand, in some genres fuel rarely runs low - the GM may want to divide power plant and especially reaction engine fuels by a considerable factor in a cinematic game.

Last edited by GURPS Fox; 11-09-2021 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #4
Anthony

The problem is likely that hydrocarbon power plants in Vehicles have about 1/3 the fuel consumption they realistically should have (though this is somewhat negated by the way operating endurance is calculated), and thus realistic options look bad.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:57 AM   #5
GURPS Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem is likely that hydrocarbon power plants in Vehicles have about 1/3 the fuel consumption they realistically should have (though this is somewhat negated by the way operating endurance is calculated), and thus realistic options look bad.
True, and let's be honest, by tripling the fuel consumption, we'll get immense problems with getting fuel, especially when you've only got, say, a Fennek's volume to work with and need a good operational range while carrying five guys in power armor.

A Fennek has an operational range of... 860km/530 miles and it's roughly 10.4 metric tons (or 11.5 US tons). In comparison, my current humvee-type vehicle has a 10-hour operational time, can move at 64.4km/h off-road, and weighs in at just a smidge over 24 metric tons.

It makes the rules rather hostile to ICE in general.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #6
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Fox View Post
True, and let's be honest, by tripling the fuel consumption, we'll get immense problems with getting fuel, especially when you've only got, say, a Fennek's volume to work with and need a good operational range while carrying five guys in power armor.

A Fennek has an operational range of... 860km/530 miles and it's roughly 10.4 metric tons (or 11.5 US tons). In comparison, my current humvee-type vehicle has a 10-hour operational time, can move at 64.4km/h off-road, and weighs in at just a smidge over 24 metric tons.

It makes the rules rather hostile to ICE in general.
Not really, because most vehicles don't move at maximum speed all the time. If it's doing ~30 km/h off-road rather than the maximum, it will be using 1/4 the power and thus 1/4 of the fuel it uses at full speed/power.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Fox View Post
Please note that using gas turbines would balloon my fuel requirements,
  • Ceramic Engine (Supercharged, LNG fuel): 4MW output, 88111lbs/3997kg weight, 180gph
  • Gas Turbine (standard, LNG Fuel): 4MW output, 4417lbs/2003kg, 330gph
  • Hydrocarbon Fuel Cell (LNG Fuel): 4MW, 2025lbs/9083kg, 153gph (/3)/80gph (multifuel modifier)

Note, the current Humvee equiv has an engine grouping (fuel and all) of 22281lbs/6677kg in terms of mass.
Those engines are _huge_ both in weight and output. 4 MW is more than 5000 horsepower.

Also, when I google "Humvee" I get a max weight of maybe 8500 lbs for the whole thing and not just the engine and gas tank.. Not sure what your 2.5x as large vehicle is.

It seems possible to me with those engines that your vehicle size and performance goals are too large for the setting's resources.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Those engines are _huge_ both in weight and output. 4 MW is more than 5000 horsepower.

Also, when I google "Humvee" I get a max weight of maybe 8500 lbs for the whole thing and not just the engine and gas tank.. Not sure what your 2.5x as large vehicle is.

It seems possible to me with those engines that your vehicle size and performance goals are too large for the setting's resources.
Video game developers and TV script writers are not always known for doing in-depth research into technology before slapping a definition on something. I suspect that the source material played pretty fast and loose with stuff.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Just for real-world scale:

Actual HMMWV engine: 0.15 MW
M1A2 powerplant: 1.12 MW

So a 4MW power plant is enough to drive more than three M1A2 MBTs, each of which masses over 62 tons.

https://www.siemens-energy.com/globa...s/sgt-100.html

This is a 5-ish MW gas turbine by Siemens.

it masses 27 tons by itself.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
GURPS Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Not really, because most vehicles don't move at maximum speed all the time. If it's doing ~30 km/h off-road rather than the maximum, it will be using 1/4 the power and thus 1/4 of the fuel it uses at full speed/power.
True, but you want to get out of the area with Tib ASAP or it'll eat your vehicle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just for real-world scale:

Actual HMMWV engine: 0.15 MW
M1A2 powerplant: 1.12 MW

So a 4MW power plant is enough to drive more than three M1A2 MBTs, each of which masses over 62 tons.

This is a 5-ish MW gas turbine by Siemens.

it masses 27 tons by itself.
Yeah, kind of hard to keep the power generation low when you need ADS systems as standard (in this case, a 2mm gatling railgun and a 1.6MW gatling UV pulse laser per turret), have various power-hungry sensors (high-res LIDAR, I'm looking at you) to stay relevant, your main weapon is an Electrothermal Chemical gun (with slightly heavier rounds than what's used in Vehicles) backed by a revolving missile launcher, and a 2MW main wheel drivetrain.
Quote:

Blame the fact that it has a lot of sensors (AESA, Multi-Res LIDAR, Multiscanners, etc.) and ETC weapons firing moderately heavy projectiles at a decent RoF. Please note that, with the humvee equiv, the total power consumption is 3,233kW minus the two 50kJ/RoF50 1.6MW gatling UV lasers.

Tags
assistance needed, fuel cells, gurps 3e, hydrocarbons