Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Smallish Piercing?

My WIP damage system makes multiplication by 2/3 easy (hooray for logarithms). It makes me want to add a piercing damage between normal and small.

If doing so, what would the caliber breakpoints between normal, small, and the new intermediate between them look like?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Smallish Piercing?

The wounding multiplier is (caliber/10mm), rounded up to the nearest half point, so probably 7mm.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The wounding multiplier is (caliber/10mm), rounded up to the nearest half point, so probably 7mm.
That's only true of the cutoffs between normal, large, and huge. Small piercing is off using that formula, either with or without the "high velocity low caliber" exception.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If doing so, what would the caliber breakpoints between normal, small, and the new intermediate between them look like?
They'd probably be calibre-and-velocity breakpoints.

One round that is short-changed by the current system is 7.63x25mm Mauser, which is currently 3d-1 pi- out of a Mauser C96 but was regarded as quite effective in period, and was good enough for the USSR to build WWII sub-machine guns for. It ought to be in any intermediate category.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That's only true of the cutoffs between normal, large, and huge. Small piercing is off using that formula, either with or without the "high velocity low caliber" exception.
I would just use your 2/3 for most rounds that are currently pi-, and reserve pi- for rounds under 5mm.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Tyneras

What kind of system?

I've been working to unify LogST (Knowing Your Own Strength) and Conditional Injury, which I immediately think of when you mention logarithms, and I think I've done it, just working on cleaning up the presentation.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They'd probably be calibre-and-velocity breakpoints.

One round that is short-changed by the current system is 7.63x25mm Mauser, which is currently 3d-1 pi- out of a Mauser C96 but was regarded as quite effective in period, and was good enough for the USSR to build WWII sub-machine guns for. It ought to be in any intermediate category.
The 7.62x25mm Tokarev is a bit more powerful that the 7.63x25mm Mauser that it was derived from, which in turn is somewhat more powerful than the 7.65×25mm Borchardt that it was derived from. Using the more powerful round in guns designed for one of the less powerful cartridges is a Bad Idea, though in this case some Tokarev ammo can be used in some Mauser pistols safely.

I agree that these rounds got short changed. They've the power of the 9x19mm round, but do half the damage (unless you hit vitals/brain), which seems harsh. They also have very good penetration, with standard ball rounds easily penetrating vests rated against fairly powerful pistol rounds ('conditioned' NIJ IIIA vests, not sure about good new ones). There's also the annoying effect of the M1 carbines, firing a round not that much more powerful, doing around three times the damage. They are, IMO, a good argument for pi- being 2/3rds damage, not 1/2 damage and are thus also a good argument for an intermediate step (assuming they're put in it).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
What kind of system?

I've been working to unify LogST (Knowing Your Own Strength) and Conditional Injury, which I immediately think of when you mention logarithms, and I think I've done it, just working on cleaning up the presentation.
That's pretty much what I'm doing, what I've come to call Know Your Own Conditional Damage. ST 10 has thrust damage of 0, .45 APC is +3 pi+, etc.

It means that multiplying by 2/3 becomes subtracting 1.

Tags
guns, wounding modifier