Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
mrziggy

Default Creatures of the Night Pdf Issue

Well, this is my first post here, so why not start out by admitting to doing something illegal?

So lets get this out of the way: I pirated GURPS CotN (The first one, 3rd ed I think?). I don't know how seriously SJG will take that, but I AM thinking buying it. Now, onto the issue at hand.

The only free copy of this online has a issue where some pages are messed up, or outright missing. The Mazeworm entry is messed up, with the text "running" down the page so I can't read anything. Most of the Mazeworn entry, along with the Quitekin entry (and the sketch's section) are missing. To be more specific, its pages 72, 98, 124-128.

I am planning on buying it, I just want to know, if I buy this from the e23 store, will it have these issue's?
mrziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
apoc527

Default Re: Creatures of the Night Pdf Issue

A strange thing to do, to admit to pirating someone's work. However, I've never had an issues with SJ Games's PDFs, and I doubt that there would be any flaws in an e23 released product.

That said, you should always buy the products you use. :-)

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrziggy View Post
Well, this is my first post here, so why not start out by admitting to doing something illegal?

So lets get this out of the way: I pirated GURPS CotN (The first one, 3rd ed I think?). I don't know how seriously SJG will take that, but I AM thinking buying it. Now, onto the issue at hand.

The only free copy of this online has a issue where some pages are messed up, or outright missing. The Mazeworm entry is messed up, with the text "running" down the page so I can't read anything. Most of the Mazeworn entry, along with the Quitekin entry (and the sketch's section) are missing. To be more specific, its pages 72, 98, 124-128.

I am planning on buying it, I just want to know, if I buy this from the e23 store, will it have these issue's?
Tsk, tsk.

Chances are you got a version someone scanned in manually. A quick way to tell is if if the text looks normal but can't be selected as words, just as a picture. If the text looks weird but it can be selected, it was scanned in and text recognition software was used.

I've bought tons of stuff from e23, including some 3e stuff, and have never had a problem. It's completely selectable as text while still looking good, and none of the pages have been messed up.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
ClayDowling

The legit PDF doesn't have those kinds of issues. It was also my first PDF purchase, and hooked me on buying more. The convenience of being able to download a copy quickly and without searching when you get a new device or your computer does a belly flop makes the price of the PDF entirely worth it. Plus, lack of PDF weirdness.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
mrziggy

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response.

Oh, and I never "use" the pdf's I pirate in a gaming sense. I just read them for fun. If I wish to actually use them, I buy them.
mrziggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures of the night, gurps 3e, monsters