Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
stroess

Default [Supers] Teleporting "Star Trek" Style

Hi,

I have a player that wants to have a base that has a "Transporter" from Star Trek in it. He would have an Ally stay at the base and monitor him, and if he ever falls unconscious, they'll "beam" him back to base.

How would this be represented using the Warp power? Can the Warp power be used to teleport someone (or something) that is far away back to itself? How could monitoring be done?

Any opinions / assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stroess
stroess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Supers] Teleporting "Star Trek" Style

Affliction (Warp) as a gadget or ally ability seems best here.
Buy extended range and Malediction on it so it can be used at long range.
Reliable if you want fast teleports but taking Extra time to use the controls will help wuith the roll.
Might consider Ancohored or a variant as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Anaraxes

The way to "Teleport Other" is to use Affliction (B35) to Afflict (Advantage: Warp). When you Afflict an Advantage like this, you choose at build time whether you're giving the Advantage to the target, or whether it affects him. An Affliction is a ranged attack, default max range 100, so you'll likely want lots of Extended Range.

For remote viewing, see Clairsentience (again with Extended Range) or Mind Reading/Mindlink. The explanation for the effect can be super-science rather than psi, if you like, but mechanically, these are probably the effects you're looking for. You might also use Scanning Sense or Detect.

It might be cheaper for the character to buy Warp with some limitations. Blink doesn't quite fit due to the range limitation, but you do want it to be Reflexive, and have an Accessibility for "only if Unconscious". Also Anchored, since the only place you can Warp to is the base station.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroess View Post
How would this be represented using the Warp power? Can the Warp power be used to teleport someone (or something) that is far away back to itself?
An Ally (... points; Constantly, x4) that has Affliction (Advantage: Warp) on its' character sheet.

Quote:
How could monitoring be done?
Depends on how complicated you wanted to be about it. Special Rapport would be the easiest and simplest method of monitoring a person's mental, physical and emotional status. Mindlink + Mind Reading (Sensory) and/or Telesend (Sensory) could do it too.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
stroess

Hi,

I noticed that for having a "Constant" ally, the multiplier was x4. Is that a house rule, or is that "official"?

All the suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks!

Stroess
stroess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Hi,

I noticed that for having a "Constant" ally, the multiplier was x4. Is that a house rule, or is that "official"?

All the suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks!

Stroess
RAW. its in the frequency of appearance box on page 36
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote