Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Counterspell and Ward

One of my players has created a PC wizard (of sorts) who has pushed a bit off-template, pulling in a few options from the larger GURPS universe. He describes himself as a gentle giant: huge, strong, difficult to injure, and a total pacifist. An unusual character for a DF game, for sure, but I think he will be able to provide enough utility to the group that it will be workable. The combination of his spells, knowledge skills, and strength will be quite useful outside of combat, and he will likely draw attacks during battles that will take some of the heat off the rest of the group. (He has high DR and hit points; it's a 400 point game at the moment.)

The wizard is interested in Counterspell and Ward, but the idea of filling his grimoire with offensive spells just so he can counter them isn't appealing. We were tossing around the idea of some sort of advantage that would provide expertise in defensive magic even without being able to cast all of the offensive spells. (A degree in "defense against the dark arts" or something like that.)

I don't have much experience with Counterspell or Ward. I've never had a wizard take them because they've never felt that they had a broad enough grimoire to justify them. If you've seen those spells in use, do they feel like they would be wildly overpowered without the requirement to know the spells in question? In theory, what would seem like a fair price for an advantage that would let a caster bypass that requirement?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
Balor Patch

Default Re: Counterspell and Ward

That character sounds like he might make a good Pentaclist. See the Sovereign Ward spell in GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic for a Ward that can work against any spell.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Dalin

Oooh, great recommendation. Thank you! I forgot about those two spells. That supplement is fantastic. I should integrate it more fully into my next DF game. (I customize clerics, routinely, but not as much for wizards.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Harald387

Counterthaumatological Training [1 point]

You've learned the principles of a handful of spells well enough to counter them, but not well enough to cast them. Choose four wizardly spells; for the purposes of Counterspell, Ward, and similar magic, you effectively 'know' those spells at a level of IQ+Magery-2.

Counterthaumatological Expertise [10 points]
You no longer need to know the spell being countered to use Counterspell or Ward against it; instead you just use your skill in the relevant countermagic spell for the Quick Contest. You can convert any number of levels of Counterthaumatological Training into this advantage when you purchase it.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:37 AM   #5
ArchonShiva

You could also make a perk for each college, maybe “theoretical knowledge”, which counts as knowing all the spells therein except for the purpose of casting them or acting as prerequisites to spells they can cast.

This would help with ward and counterspell, but also for an enchanter who can create magic items based on (non-enchantment) spells they cannot cast.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Counterthaumatological Training [1 point]

You've learned the principles of a handful of spells well enough to counter them, but not well enough to cast them. Choose four wizardly spells; for the purposes of Counterspell, Ward, and similar magic, you effectively 'know' those spells at a level of IQ+Magery-2.

Counterthaumatological Expertise [10 points]
You no longer need to know the spell being countered to use Counterspell or Ward against it; instead you just use your skill in the relevant countermagic spell for the Quick Contest. You can convert any number of levels of Counterthaumatological Training into this advantage when you purchase it.
This is a great answer. Reading through the description of the character and the defensive theme, I was considering that it should be some kind of Perk type buy-in to bypass the pre-requisite spells.
It’s a good way to encourage a theme, and what you came up with seems fun to GM; players having a good time with their character ideas makes for a smoother game.

Tags
counterspell, magic, spells, ward