Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
Plane

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: High Pain Threshold and Supernatural Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This advantage forms a part of Supernatural Durability, and you can’t have both.
Like with other 'included' stuff (Regen and Rapid Healing, Enhanced Time Sense and Combat Reflexes ... am I forgetting others?) I like the idea of listing the included ability separately and just reducing the price of the pricier ability by that value when listing it.

The cool thing about that is you might have someone who "upgrades" temporarily from one to the other, and splitting them lets you design that better.

IE like partially limited abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Related to this is Immunity to Pain or such.
Lets see Injury Tolerance (Unstoppable) [10] from Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1
and the same thing or very closely related from GURPS Zombies which I dnt have at hand this moment.
The only approach I remember being used in Zombies aside from HPT and Supernatural Durability is Berserk, Z58 had a "Vicious" modifier for that which prevents attacking allies but requires rolls on sight of enemy instead of needing enemy or self to be injured.

Unstoppable could make sense for some zombies, though reduced ST/Move as HP goes down could also make sense for realistic zombies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
While HPT And Resistant/Immunity to pain are reasonably common in my games, combat robots and undead don't generally feel pain
If doing "Weapons as Characters" shock seems to apply to ranged weapons though per B548's RAM:

Damaged weapon: -HP of injury received last turn (maximum -4)
Shock: -HP of injury received last turn
Unlike normal shock there doesn't even seem to be a cap on this: so if I punch someone's gun for 10 damage and it had 4 DR and suffered a loss of 6 HP then if he fires at me in the next turn he's -6 to hit me.

Apparently this would apply even if I hit it with a "No Knockback" crushing attack (whereas "No Wounding" would inflict no penalty) so I'm not entirely sure what it's meant to represent...

I was actually thinking if it was based on damage instead of injury that'd make more sense, in which case the best way to get a penalty would be a shove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
one thing I rarely see is it's mirror image: Resistant/Immunity to Pleasure. Euphoria is priced exactly like 1.5 levels of pain, which to me implies the possibility of reworking it to be an exact mirror with Low, Moderate and High Euphoria levels, and Ecstacy is treated as exactly as the same as Agony with a different skill bonus, and the only ability related to it is Killjoy, a disadvantage. I suppose pleasure attacks just aren't very common.
Killjoy strikes me like Callous or Overconfident or Always-On Shadow form: easier to perceive as a meta-trait with disadvantages of greater value than it's advantages.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, high pain threshold, supernatural durability