Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default What's the future of Alternate GURPS content?

Hey, all.

What's the future of Alternate GURPS content? Does Alternate GURPS content have a future? The Alternate GURPS issues of Pyramid were always an instant favorite for me. Surely, I can't be the only one who will miss it—who already misses it! Is there room for a supplement or a series of supplements to fill that void? I would love to see a whole PDF dedicated to expanding Knowing Your Own Strength or a whole PDF that expands on what Kromm wrote here. I checked the Warehouse 23 Wish List for GURPS, but there's nothing there that fits.

Thoughts? Feelings?
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Steven Marsh

Default Re: What's the future of Alternate GURPS content?

We don't have any specific plans for such items, but we're not (as far as I know) completely averse to them.

The difficulty is that such a supplement would almost certainly need to be from an author whose "proven their chops" on GURPS (since the stakes are a bit higher for full-fledged GURPS supplements compared to the more "cutting edge" flavor of Pyramid). So they probably wouldn't be part of our wish list directly (since that's an "open call" list that's even available to those who may not have written a supplement before).

Also complicating matters is the fact that such supplements would be replacing parts of GURPS, rather than adding to it. This might limit the audience a bit, but it's not a deal-breaker. For example, the recently released GURPS Action: Dictionary of Danger is not intended as a hyper-realistic treatment of all the perils described in that book, but a good-enough fast-paced treatment that suits the GURPS Action series. So, in its own way, it's an "alternate GURPS" treatment of those damage sources. (Of course, if folks like it enough to use it in their own non-Action games, we won't complain!)

So, the short form is, "Alternate GURPS" material isn't forbidden at all. In fact, I think it'd be pretty cool! But we'd want to make sure that it's filling a niche, is "cool" enough to stand alone as a supplement, and is done right.

Hopefully that all makes sense!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
For example, the recently released GURPS Action: Dictionary of Danger is not intended as a hyper-realistic treatment of all the perils described in that book, but a good-enough fast-paced treatment that suits the GURPS Action series.
That was good. We should get that guy to write more.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Hear, hear!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Heh, you made me chuckle!
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
We don't have any specific plans for such items, but we're not (as far as I know) completely averse to them.

The difficulty is that such a supplement would almost certainly need to be from an author whose "proven their chops" on GURPS (since the stakes are a bit higher for full-fledged GURPS supplements compared to the more "cutting edge" flavor of Pyramid). So they probably wouldn't be part of our wish list directly (since that's an "open call" list that's even available to those who may not have written a supplement before).

Also complicating matters is the fact that such supplements would be replacing parts of GURPS, rather than adding to it. This might limit the audience a bit, but it's not a deal-breaker. For example, the recently released GURPS Action: Dictionary of Danger is not intended as a hyper-realistic treatment of all the perils described in that book, but a good-enough fast-paced treatment that suits the GURPS Action series. So, in its own way, it's an "alternate GURPS" treatment of those damage sources. (Of course, if folks like it enough to use it in their own non-Action games, we won't complain!)

So, the short form is, "Alternate GURPS" material isn't forbidden at all. In fact, I think it'd be pretty cool! But we'd want to make sure that it's filling a niche, is "cool" enough to stand alone as a supplement, and is done right.

Hopefully that all makes sense!
I am extremely grateful for the in-depth answer! Honestly, more than anything else, it makes me want to start writing. Or win the lottery. Greasing palms and having someone else write it for me might be a little easier...
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post

Or win the lottery.
I recently told my girlfriend that if I won the lottery, I'd quit the day job. Honestly, being an editor isn't even 1/10 as interesting to me as being a writer . . . and doing administrative work on a product line is even less engaging than that. I wouldn't miss those things. But I also told her that I'd keep writing; in fact, I might fill just as many hours with "work" – it's just that it would be 100% writing.

In short: I hear you.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Ninja Monkey

I'd love to see an Alternate GURPS series, especially on what Kromm wrote.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate gurps, gurps, pyramid, wish list, writing for gurps