Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
pawsplay

Default Re: Supernatural Durability With No Weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What's the specified effect?
Working against Cosmic attacks.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What's the specified effect?
It ignores Cosmic's ability to ignore it. This actually isn't too far removed from what the OP wants - the SD's weakness is basically "Cosmic: Ignores SD" for free. +50% probably would work decently well, provided the ability be required to have some sort of truly-limiting Limitation, like Unreliable, Costs FP, Fickle, or be limited to a certain attack type (in fact, this could be a good starting point for an "Immune to Fire" type Advantage)
Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Are you suggesting that I'd need better than Cosmic +50% to do this, like +100% or even +300%? Or saying not at all?
I'm just saying that no existing application of Cosmic of which I am aware does what you ask.

Spitballing it... Supernatural Durability is basically Unkillable 1 1/2, plus High Pain Threshold, some nice immunities, conditional Injury Tolerance, and the ability to function at very low Hit Point levels. +50% is probably not too cheap for what you're suggesting; it might even too expensive, since the difference between Unkillable 1 and Unkillable 2 is Regrowth plus [10] points. Reverse engineering Achilles' Heel suggests around +43%. However, not all the benefits of Supernatural Durability relate to your weakness in the first place.

So for simplicity's sake, I would just call it No Achilles' Heel (+40%). That's 60 points, cheaper than being Unkillable 2 all over again.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
white33

Quote:
Is it acceptable to use Cosmic +50% to remove the "weakness" from SD?

It still wouldn't be invulnerability (which is frowned upon RAW), as they can be slowed down with HP damage, and can be killed with a single attack that does 10xHP damage.

I just ask because I've seen uses of Cosmic +50% or more to allow things like IT:Diffuse to protect against area effect damage officially nixed (and rightfully so, it's a quick, cheap way to total invincibility).

But I don't think this application of Cosmic to SD to remove this built-in limitation is even remotely as abusive. Have there ever been any rulings that said "no, shouldn't be allowed" to this?

Just to clarify, I'm the GM, and yes, I know I can do anything I want but I generally prefer to play by the RAW, making only minor deviations from it where appropriate.
Yes!
It's a perfectly valid use for "Cosmic".
However, in my book, you'd need a pretty good argument to be allowed to give a character this though.
white33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by white33 View Post
Yes!
It's a perfectly valid use for "Cosmic".
However, in my book, you'd need a pretty good argument to be allowed to give a character this though.
I thought more about allowing a PC to have it, but limited so it Costs FP per second of being in that state, and leaves him with a nasty Nuisance Effect: Backlash afterwards (like temporary incapacitation and/or some large Attribute Penalties), and maybe limited uses per day.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Working against Cosmic attacks.
What sort of Cosmic attack does Supernatural Durability not work against? Cosmic (Irresistible) ignores DR, not Supernatural Durability or Unkillable, and I've never seen Cosmic (Ignores Supernatural Durability) on an attack, nor does the Cosmic Power Modifier give your attacks this effect.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
What sort of Cosmic attack does Supernatural Durability not work against? Cosmic (Irresistible) ignores DR, not Supernatural Durability or Unkillable, and I've never seen Cosmic (Ignores Supernatural Durability) on an attack, nor does the Cosmic Power Modifier give your attacks this effect.
I didn't say it's a useful modifier. I'm just reading out of the rulebook.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
JCurwen3

Quote:
I was referring to the use of Cosmic to bypass certain built-in limitations of advantages (as in removing the specific item or class of items that works normally on you for SD), not the use of Cosmic to overcome defenses.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
pawsplay

Quote:
I was referring to the use of Cosmic to bypass certain built-in limitations of advantages (as in removing the specific item or class of items that works normally on you for SD), not the use of Cosmic to overcome defenses.
That section is titled, "Ability other than an attack or a defense."
Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
vitruvian

Quote:
Your post still makes no sense. It implies that as it stands, Supernatural Durability without Cosmic doesn't work against Cosmic attacks.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosmic, supernatural durability, weakness