Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
FireHorse

Default Right-Angled Architecture in Hex-Grid World…?

No matter how you align it, some Hexes will be partial instead of whole (and Megahexes even more so).

What's the best way to handle that?

I like the idea of being able to enter partial hexes, but having greatly restricted movement (because you're up against a wall).

What about right-angled bends, or T-intersections? Or doorways?
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Right-Angled Architecture in Hex-Grid World…?

What if they don't have any due to Hounds of Tindalos type demons?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
No matter how you align it, some Hexes will be partial instead of whole (and Megahexes even more so).

What's the best way to handle that?

I like the idea of being able to enter partial hexes, but having greatly restricted movement (because you're up against a wall).

What about right-angled bends, or T-intersections? Or doorways?
If you can, get a copy of Gurps Man to Man. I got one years ago and it had a number of sheets of rectangular tunnels and structures in it, they might be of some help. Otherwise, my memory of the old days is that we let you use a hex if it was halfway or more in the tunnel, and you couldn't use it if it was less than half a hex. We just eyeballed it though, so that may not be exact enough for you. There's some real cases of OCD on this forum.;-)
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
…we let you use a hex if it was halfway or more in the tunnel, and you couldn't use it if it was less than half a hex.
That sounds good enough. Plus, I think, the stipulation that anyone in a partial hex gets hit by AOE affecting any adjacent hex, since they're kinda crowding into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse
There's some real cases of OCD on this forum.;-)
There's one sitting at my desk too, typing this even now. ;)

I mean, I suppose I could just pretend that rectangular rooms don't exist… but there's a limit to how much hand-waving I care to do. Especially when the goal is simulating tactical combat in a plausible way.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #5
JLV

And, again, I'll mention the "Squarehexes" thing that someone thought up a few years ago. If you go through the old threads on this forum, you'll find one specifically dedicated to that idea, along with links allowing you to download them. Also, on Shadekeep's mapping tool thread, someone provided a link to them and asked Shadekeep if he could modify his program to permit them to be created and used there.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
FireHorse

The "Square Megahexes" appear to be an interesting way to assemble a map.

However, they are NOT an answer to my question. Not even the same subject, really. It's like I asked about how to drive a car, and you directed me to a photo of a garage.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Square megahexes don't solve the problem of having half-a-hex. (Or square, as the case may be.)

There's no need for a penalty for half hexes. If there's at least half a hex on your side of the wall, use it like normal. You're not pretending rectangular rooms don't exist; you're pretending that the hexes don't. (The D&D square version is realizing you don't have to pretend that all buildings are exact multiples of 5 feet in each direction, as well as always having walls aligned exactly parallel with the compass directions.) It's just a mapping convention, and there's always some granularity to cope with.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
Skarg

We just draw square buildings and other features as they are in the world, and then have a standard and/or GM-ruled way of deciding what the effects of partially-blocked hexes is. Often it's that hexes can be entered if the center point is open, and hex-sides can be used if half or more of it is unblocked, but sometimes the GM needs to give a ruling and/or assign DX and/or MA penalties.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
We just draw square buildings and other features as they are in the world, and then have a standard and/or GM-ruled way of deciding what the effects of partially-blocked hexes is. Often it's that hexes can be entered if the center point is open, and hex-sides can be used if half or more of it is unblocked, but sometimes the GM needs to give a ruling and/or assign DX and/or MA penalties.
We'd fudge it by pretending to slide the hex grid over 1/2 hex when something important was happening next to a wall. This probably wouldn't go over well with people who emphasize the tactical/board game aspects, but it worked for our loosey-goosey style.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote