Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Captain Joy
 
Captain Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Heartland, U.S.A.
Default Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

The Battlesuit-Blade martial arts style on p. 28 of Pyramid #3/9 lists Battlesuit and Main-Gauche as its only two skills. Based on the description of what this style is represents: "Stylists typically fight with two knives, using the primary hand to attack and the off-hand to defend.", I'm thinking the Knife skill was overlooked. Or, am I missing something?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Sindri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
The Battlesuit-Blade martial arts style on p. 28 of Pyramid #3/9 lists Battlesuit and Main-Gauche as its only two skills. Based on the description of what this style is represents: "Stylists typically fight with two knives, using the primary hand to attack and the off-hand to defend.", I'm thinking the Knife skill was overlooked. Or, am I missing something?
Presumably stylists only fight with Main Gauche.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
The Battlesuit-Blade martial arts style on p. 28 of Pyramid #3/9 lists Battlesuit and Main-Gauche as its only two skills. Based on the description of what this style is represents: "Stylists typically fight with two knives, using the primary hand to attack and the off-hand to defend.", I'm thinking the Knife skill was overlooked. Or, am I missing something?
There is considerable disagreement about the interaction between Knife and Main Gauche skills. Largely I think because it seems weird for a weapon skill to *never* allow you to attack at full skill - what with explicitly not neutralizing the off hand penalty for attacks for the hand you'd normally hold the Main Gauche in, and a -3 (for the default to Knife), if you switch hands. Probably the author subscribes to a different interpretation than you do.

I've felt since Martial Arts came out that the Main Gauche skill should have been thrown out and the ignore the off hand parry penalty offered as a skill adaptation perk added to Knife.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Sindri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
There is considerable disagreement about the interaction between Knife and Main Gauche skills. Largely I think because it seems weird for a weapon skill to *never* allow you to attack at full skill what with explicitly not neutralizing the off hand penalty for attacks for the hand you'd normally hold the Main Gauche in, and a -3 (for the default to Knife), if you switch hands. Probably the author subscribes to a different interpretation than you do.

I've felt since Martial Arts came out that the Main Gauche skill should have been thrown out and the ignore the off hand parry penalty offered as a skill adaptation perk added to Knife.
Main Gauche can attack with no penalty. It just means using your main hand. Main Gauche also covers fencing with knives in your main hand.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
There is considerable disagreement about the interaction between Knife and Main Gauche skills. Largely I think because it seems weird for a weapon skill to *never* allow you to attack at full skill - what with explicitly not neutralizing the off hand penalty for attacks for the hand you'd normally hold the Main Gauche in, and a -3 (for the default to Knife), if you switch hands. Probably the author subscribes to a different interpretation than you do.

I've felt since Martial Arts came out that the Main Gauche skill should have been thrown out and the ignore the off hand parry penalty offered as a skill adaptation perk added to Knife.
A skill learned specifically for your off-hand does not suffer the off-hand penalty. Otherwise, shields would suck!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Sindri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
A skill learned specifically for your off-hand does not suffer the off-hand penalty. Otherwise, shields would suck!
Main Gauche explicitly does not exempt you from the off-hand attack penalty because it isn't the skill for off-hand knives. It's the skill for "fencing with knives (oh and also it removes the off hand parry penalty)"
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Captain Joy
 
Captain Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Heartland, U.S.A.
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Main Gauche can attack with no penalty. It just means using your main hand. Main Gauche also covers fencing with knives in your main hand.
From the Main-Gauche skill description, B208: "To wield a knife as a primary weapon, use Knife skill." To me at least, the RAW is clear that the Main-Gauche skill does not cover main hand use of anything ever.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
Sindri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
From the Main-Gauche skill description, B208: "To wield a knife as a primary weapon, use Knife skill." To me at least, the RAW is clear that the Main-Gauche skill does not cover main hand use of anything ever.
Martial Arts 58: "It's permissible to use Main-Gauche with your master hand to receive the benefits of a fencing parry while wielding a knife. Armed this way, you can also attack at your full Main-Gauche level. If you just want to attack with a knife, you can save a few points by learning Knife (DX/Easy) instead of Main-Gauche (DX/Average)."
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Captain Joy
 
Captain Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Heartland, U.S.A.
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Martial Arts 58: "It's permissible to use Main-Gauche with your master hand to receive the benefits of a fencing parry while wielding a knife. Armed this way, you can also attack at your full Main-Gauche level. If you just want to attack with a knife, you can save a few points by learning Knife (DX/Easy) instead of Main-Gauche (DX/Average)."
Boom! I'd say that settles the matter. Thank you, Sindri.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Sindri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Re: Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera "Battlesuit-Blade" no Knife Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Boom! I'd say that settles the matter. Thank you, Sindri.
Happy to help.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
err, martial arts style, pyramid #3/9, pyramid 3/9, space opera

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.