Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
Vynticator

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Shortening Range

Firstly: great thread idea.

Secondly: love the orgone shield idea. Reminds me of Dune. Knives can get through where lasers cannot. Nice.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Firstly: great thread idea.

Secondly: love the orgone shield idea. Reminds me of Dune. Knives can get through where lasers cannot. Nice.
People who equate Orgone Shields with Dune Shields are missing the point. Orgone Shields aren't there to negate usefulness of ranged weapons. They're there to negate the dakkadakkadakkaDEAD effect, protect the infantry from frag shells, and give mêlée weapons a slight usefulness in close-quarters battles (only). They sort of draw out the fights without providing immunities against a determined opponent.

They also very clearly do not negate sniper fire, which is still pretty dangerous.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Run mysteries.
Or crime or policing or espionage or any of several other sorts of scenario where rules of engagement/target identification/legalities/sight lines/etc mean that no combat actually takes place over long ranges.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Or crime or policing or espionage or any of several other sorts of scenario where rules of engagement/target identification/legalities/sight lines/etc mean that no combat actually takes place over long ranges.
Yep. Thrillers, and capers, and mysteries, and espionage, and horror, and exploration, and cliffhangers, and crime drama, and martial arts tournament, and court intrigue….

I never run infantry combat campaigns or even scenarios. In fact, almost nothing that is primarily combat. Just not my cup of tea. Discussions on these forums in which other people make it plain that they consider it an advantage of zombies that there is nothing to do but kill them keep me constantly aware of the diversity of the hobby.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Yep. Thrillers, and capers, and mysteries, and espionage, and horror, and exploration, and cliffhangers, and crime drama, and martial arts tournament, and court intrigue….

I never run infantry combat campaigns or even scenarios. In fact, almost nothing that is primarily combat. Just not my cup of tea. Discussions on these forums in which other people make it plain that they consider it an advantage of zombies that there is nothing to do but kill them keep me constantly aware of the diversity of the hobby.
Well, it doesn't have to be primarily combat for it to include professional combat capabilities.

An SF'd western or cliff-hanger-alike in which you're sometimes out trecking in some wide-open space, you're entirely likely to be doing so while packing an automatic laser rifle or some such that's effective to the limits of your vision. If you happen to be in a situation where one side or the other is prepared to shoot on sight...

(Tintin certainly drew rifle fire from afar a fair few times. [Look, I haven't read much non-webcomic cliffhanger-ish media...])
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, it doesn't have to be primarily combat for it to include professional combat capabilities.
Indeed not. But I find it vastly more interesting if there is some option for prevailing on an adventure other than having a fight and winning it.

I find "and then there was a fight, which fortunately we won" to be a rather unsatisfactory conclusion to most adventures, and it keeps me young and supple to bear in mind that many gamers and audiences prefer the reverse.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It does: they had a massive ground based shield generator that had to be pierced by ground (read physical) forces. The walker's mission was to blow up one generator, and then the empire could bring space forces to bear. .
Also the shield was a flat plane at a relatively low altitude. It protected from above but not from the sides.

Defense also generally exceeded offense. Star Destroyers couldn't penetrate the ground shield.

Star Destryers or even Mon Calamari cruisers generally could not web one-shotted by a comparablly sized vehicle. At Endor it took the half-built Death Star weapon to one-shot a Rebel cruiser and even when Admiral Akhbar concentrated the fire of the entire Rebel Fleet on the Super Star Destroyer he sent it out of control (eventually crashing into the Death Star) rather than vaporizing it.

So, "no one shots" can be a useful condition. If a sniper can't drop a trooper or a hidden trooper with a shoulder missile can't blow a tank in a devastatng surprise attack the shooting first so you can get that "One shot, One Kill" is a devalued strategy. Concentration of force from multiple units becomes much more important.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #28
Kalzazz

In my Star Republic setting I have been working on, local militias tend to focus heavily on inexpensive and low tech armor, deploying hordes of T72 knockoffs

This is done because T72 knockoffs are thought to be effective for self defense, and because they are thought to be not threatening (noone expects someone to launch an spaceborne invasion force consisting of militia men crewing T72s, they arent thought to be worth transporting)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #29
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
In my Star Republic setting I have been working on, local militias tend to focus heavily on inexpensive and low tech armor, deploying hordes of T72 knockoffs

This is done because T72 knockoffs are thought to be effective for self defense,
Um _Why_ is this to beleived to be true?

Even in a current Real World context a T-72 is moslty nothing but a target to a cutting edge force. Why would they be any better against a force that was higher tech than that?

What the T-72 might be good for is putting down rebellions in non-extreme terrain by populations poorly equipped with anti-tank weapons.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
What the T-72 might be good for is putting down rebellions in non-extreme terrain by populations poorly equipped with anti-tank weapons.
Mostly, it's a fairly inexpensive tank because a lot of them were made. Absent a ready supply, I'd expect technicals to be the standard.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space opera, ultra tech, ultra-tech