Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #1
zot

Default MORE tactical options

What about some more tactical options? Here's a list of options I've seen in games or had in my own. Some of these are from "Hong Kong movie" scenarios or parkour but they're a lot of fun. These could be done instead of a normal attack or maybe in addition to one (possibly at a higher talent level). Anyway, this is just to get the ball rolling:
  • Back up a hex and pull an opponent towards you (perhaps only with certain weapons)
  • Swap yourself with an opponent
  • Swap an opponent with one of your allies
  • Resist being moved (or swapped)
  • Jump over an opponent (and maybe shouting "Parkour!")
  • Provoke an opponent to attack only you unless they make an IQ roll (or will roll)
  • Advantage for allies engaging your foe
  • Greater advantage when attacking from the side or rear (a "sneak attack" talent)
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: MORE tactical options

For ease of use, make all of them into 1 Point talents or part of specific weapon groups so they are not available to all characters all of the time.

The more options we have the better. And talents or options that let you move the opponent more than just forcing them to retreat is nice.

A few other feats/talents that would be fun,
Tumble, that is shift more than one hex at the risk of getting hit while trying.
Feint. Sacrificing one action to make a better attack next turn.
Help a friend to hit.
Defend a friend.
Drag an adjacent enemy into an already existing HTH that you are part of.
Bruise an opponent. Every time you hit and do damage they get -1DX
Knock knock: Every time you hit but do no damage due to armor you do 1 fST.
Can opener: Each time you hit someone their armor is temporary lowered by 1 until they take a minute to fix it.
Armor Piercer: Take a -2 on DX and ignore 1 point of armor. Can be used boosted.*
Trip Trip or stop people who tries to run past you, if that will be allowed, instead of a free attack or other punishment that comes from running past someone.

The list can be made looooong. But I like the basic idea of feat like talents that break or adjust the basic rules and give new options in and outside a fight.

Maybe something for a future suplement. Collect the best ideas for a few month on the forum, balance them and release. Do the same for new fan made spells. :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
For ease of use, make all of them into 1 point talents ...

The more options we have the better. And talents or options that let you move the opponent more than just forcing them to retreat is nice. ...
Hi Nils,
I like this idea, but I disagree where you say, "the more options the better".

For a while, I had so many talents with weird powers that even I who wrote them was losing track of them all. And I found that strange interactions between them kept popping up which I didn't have rules for. Eventually, I went thru the talents and weeded out a bunch.

Part of the charm of TFT is that it is simple, so I wouldn't add these talents unless it was strongly felt that they would improve the game. That said, I think adding a couple or three of these would be a good idea.

Of the ones you suggested the two I most like are:

-- Defend a friend. (Someone adjacent to you gets a extra die to be hit, but you are normal to be hit.)

-- Feint. (Say, lose an action for +2 DX and +2 damage next turn.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Nils,
I like this idea, but I disagree where you say, "the more options the better".

For a while, I had so many talents with weird powers that even I who wrote them was losing track of them all. And I found that strange interactions between them kept popping up which I didn't have rules for. Eventually, I went thru the talents and weeded out a bunch.

Part of the charm of TFT is that it is simple, so I wouldn't add these talents unless it was strongly felt that they would improve the game. That said, I think adding a couple or three of these would be a good idea.
You are right.

But, I like the idea of having a lot to chose from in between sessions, but there shouldn't be too many that actually come in to play each session. And I don't like such talents that stack or could be used at the same time or interact in OP combos. It is difficult to balance.

Maybe the way to go is to have a few general ones that everyone knows after awhile. And then the rest is kind of restricted to a special background, special prereqs, special equipment or weapon types or only works on specific kinds of opponents. So that a normal character has mostly the old normal talents, maybe one or two of the new common ones and with experience get one or two odd ones that make him stand out.

One more general talent I would like, or maybe make it part of the Tactics talent. The ability to judge an opponents experience level. Are you facing an experienced 40 point character or an average civilian in borrowed gear? Once you engage it will probably be too late to rectify your mistake, so an early warning or hint about power level would be nice.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote