Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default TFT Conversion for new Nordlond Bestiary

Steve and I got very excited this morning chatting about the first day of the Nordlond Bestiary for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. He's been nudging me about considering a TFT version of this project - and other Nordlond material - periodically. When we got to talking, he asked about making a conversion of the Bestiary a stretch goal. I thought about it, and yeah, it's doable.

The questions then became "how" and "how much?"

So here's the deal:

PDF Unlocks at $73,000

If we hit this stretch goal, I will do the work to convert the Nordlond material into creatures compatible with The Fantasy Trip.

This is not a matter of a simple copy and paste:
  • No double-statting. This cheapens both products, and for reasons listed below, really can't work. There's not enough space to stick a solid TFT statblock on most of the GURPS pages, and it dilutes the purpose, focus, and quality of both products.
  • A Distinct Product. That means it'll be a new book, with a fresh cover, done in 8.5x11" format. It will probably have 2-4 monsters per page, using black and white conversions of the art we develop for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG book. Production values and feel will be consistent with other TFT books by Gaming Ballistic. As it only gets made if we pass the $66K stretch goal...it will have all the monsters. I'd guess 96-112 pages.
  • ITL Compliant. The cosmology Nordlond and Cidri are completely different, mostly because in Nordlond, the gods are real and immanent. Every creature needs to be looked at to ensure compatibility with ITL/Cidri in mind. This probably means a few other things can and will be tweaked, making the TFT version of Nordlond a unique place with some similar geography and cultural basis, but still very different.

Who Gets It?
The goal unlocks the PDF. Everyone who pledges at least $15 gets a copy "for free." That means all current backers at the PDF or higher level would receive it as a download. So would folks who selected the "Follow the Campaign/Custom Pledge" level and pledged $15 or more. If we get to the $73K stretch goal, I'm pleased to just add this to those pledges.

What about that Hardback?

With the PDF done, the physical orders for TFT hardback books and TFT Decks of Destiny profile card decks will go into a separate Backerkit phase, so that it's easier to keep the two products apart. I've got a few ideas how to handle this smoothly, some of which may require moving a zero-cost item into a cart, or answering a survey question.

We'll also look into the shipping and production situation at that time, which is another good reason to space out the manufacture and fulfillment of TFT books from the Dungeon Fantasy RPG fulfillment.

But the nice thing is: there's no "funding" of these items. Much like Tower of the Moon, it'll be done and ready to go to print. At that point, it'd just be a question of "how many, and to whom?"

If there are any questions, I'll try and answer them!

If you are only interested in supporting the TFT Bestiary, throwing in $15 at the "Follow the Campaign/Custom Backerkit" level will get you the TFT Bestiary PDF. It will ALSO get you $15 in credit to spend in Backerkit at the end of the campaign, and all of my TFT stuff will be on sale there too.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: TFT Conversion for new Nordlond Bestiary

Now that's cool news!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
letatcestmoi

That's really cool news.
letatcestmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Now that's cool news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by letatcestmoi View Post
That's really cool news.
Indeed, I thought TFT folks would like it. On the other hand, getting to the $73,000 required for that goal means very nearly 700 new backers at the current average, or a comparatively low 100-125 at "I Want It All" or "Retail" levels.

So there's a while to go, but neither of those numbers are implausible given prior interest in SJGames products (though not Gaming Ballistic's support of SJGames products). This is also a rough time (Turkey Day approacheth) to seize folks' attention, so we might see more interesting things happen next week.

We shall see!
Old 11-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
Shostak

If someone pledges $65 and the TFT conversion unlocks, do they choose which of the two hardcover books they get, or is it the GURPS book and the TFT version would have to be added in Backerkit?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
If someone pledges $65 and the TFT conversion unlocks, do they choose which of the two hardcover books they get, or is it the GURPS book and the TFT version would have to be added in Backerkit?
Sounds like the latter from Doug's explanatory post.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Sounds like the latter from Doug's explanatory post.
The best way to think of this is that the TFT conversion is an unlocked stretch goal, PDF-only, that will be added to any pledge of $15 or more at the end of the campaign, should we reach the target.

That's to say, if you pledge at $65 for Print and PDF of the Bestiary, you get the DFRPG version, which is what the pledge level content description says. If we also happen to pass $73,000, then you get the PDF of the TFT conversion tacked on as soon as it's ready.

There won't be a physical version of the TFT Bestiary to select in the Backerkit for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Bestiary. There may be a separate Backerkit for this in parallel, or slightly displaced in time, so that I can keep the two backer lists and print runs separate.

What I'm trying to avoid here is running a KS within a KS for physical product I can't give away because of cost, that deserves its own spotlight due to content and legit being a separate product, but is tightly related if parallel due to cosmology differences discussed in various posts.

Short version: you get what's on your pledge list, plus any stretch goals.

If you do the Follow the Campaign/Custom Pledge:

1) If you haven't purchased any of my TFT stuff before, you'll be able to spend that pledge a la carte on what I have on offer. No money will be lost.

2) If you have all my stuff already, this will be a risk, as you'll end with $15 in credit to the Backerkit store and nothing TFT to spend it on that you don't already have.

What I'm doing isn't a perfect solution, no question. But if we do hit that $73K goal, I'm very comfortable giving the roughly 1,035 folks that will have to have pledged a "free" copy of the TFT PDF. What I cannot do is commit to what is almost certainly going to be an offset print run of unknown extent and timing within a campaign really running for something else. Especially when it's both book and cards on offer.

So that branch has to happen separately...but it WILL happen if we cross the goal. There may even be games I can play with moving credit from one place to another, but complications are complicated.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
larsdangly

I appreciate you coming up with a plan in response to the queries about this. If for some reason it doesn't come together with this KS, maybe you'll consider doing it as a separate project aimed at the TFT community. The monster selection really looks terrific; it would be a shame not to have these critters find their way into Cidri eventually.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
it would be a shame not to have these critters find their way into Cidri eventually.
Are you saying that Nordlond is NOT on Cidri? /s
Old 11-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
Are you saying that Nordlond is NOT on Cidri? /s
Gate connections to modern Earth are Cidri contatical, so why not?