Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
acrosome

Default Stellar Mapping

Not sure where to put this, but ultimately it is for GURPS, so...

Where can I find a complete dataset for all stellar objects within 10 parsecs of Sol? I need RA, DEC and parallax. I'm trying to make an up-to-date Astrosynthesis file, and I know that this 10pc list is sort of the whole purpose of RECONS, which had an update this year. Yes, I know that there are real-life stellar maps already available for Astroynthesis (from Evil Doctor Ganymede, generally) but they all date to 2012 and a LOT of objects have been added since then, mostly various dwarfs.

I found this RECONS set, but it is limited to certain spectra (looks like L, M, and WD, and a few K) and excludes stars on the RECONS list of 100 nearest stars. I'd like EVERYTHING within 10pc. Basically, I want a list of everything on the RECONS census. The 100 Nearest list goes out to about 22.7ly, and 10pc is 32.6ly, so there have to be more A, F, G, and K stars out there...

I can't find RECONS on the Vizier website. Is there something else that it might be named?

Actually, if I could get a list as accurate as RECONS for everything within 43ly that would be even better. Then I could make eight sectors that are 25ly cubes. But I doubt that such a data set exists.

Last edited by acrosome; 08-20-2018 at 08:55 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Stellar Mapping

http://stellar-database.com/
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A very neat resource. But...

It only lists 208 stars for a 32ly search, so it obviously does not include the up-to-date RECONS data, which should list 428 stars. Even removing companion stars to only lists stellar systems it should be 317.

Last edited by acrosome; 08-20-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
acrosome

I know that there is a Big Brain on this forum somewhere who knows the answer... :)

RECONS publishes their data- or at least the three data that I need (RA DEC parallax). I just can't find it.

Should I just use Hipparcos (or Gliese? which is better?) and add in all those dwarfs from CTIOPI?

EDIT-- Dammit. Hipparcos doesn't list the stellar class... It lists BVI color index, magnitude, and luminosity, but I cannot easily translate that into class. Also, Vizier is truncating all of my searches to 50 stars, and I can't figure out how to get a full list.

I didn't list it above, but I sort of assumed any catalogue would have stellar class, luminosity, and magnitude, all of which I want as well.

Last edited by acrosome; 08-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
acrosome

I found some other archives where you can search stellar datasets (other than Vizier). Here is one from the Gaia project. And here is one from NASA.

So I'll get this eventually, but for now I'm still struggling. For instance, searches are often truncated to 1000 or 2000. But I'm only expecting several hundred star systems, so that should work, yet I keep hitting the max on my searches. The Hipparcos search doesn't let you limit the search by parallax, just RA and DEC, so that's a bother since otherwise it has everything I want. Some datasets do let you limit a search by parallax, but I am clearly not understanding how that works or something because when I try to limit my search to 10 parsecs in the Gaia dataset I get 1722 objects, of which 63 appear to be closer than Proxima Centauri. (And, yes, I am converting milliarcsec to arcsec.)

And I keep seeing parallaxes that are listed as a negative number! How in the hell do you get a negative parallax?!?

Grrr. As I said, I'm not understanding something.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
thrash

Have you written to RECONS to ask them? Todd Henry ( toddhenry28@gmail.com ) was the lead author on the most recent paper.

A negative parallax could be the result of high proper motion or noisy data with large error bars.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Should I just use Hipparcos (or Gliese? which is better?) and add in all those dwarfs from CTIOPI?
If you are adding objects manually, start with the Extended Hipparcos dataset XHIP.

Quote:
Also, Vizier is truncating all of my searches to 50 stars, and I can't figure out how to get a full list.
There is a sidebar on the left with an "preferences" box in it that ought to let you do useful things like set the number of results returned, sort the returns, specify format etc. You can also get it to calculate some values for you, but sadly not spectral type.

Quote:
I didn't list it above, but I sort of assumed any catalogue would have stellar class, luminosity, and magnitude, all of which I want as well.
Special-purpose astronomical catalogues can be startlingly single-minded. That's what makes XHIP so lovely.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
Humabout

Have you tried this catalog search? It does list the spectral type for stars in hipparcos:

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/db-per...n=More+Options

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
The 100 Nearest list goes out to about 22.7ly, and 10pc is 32.6ly, so there have to be more A, F, G, and K stars out there...
Well, from the 10 parsec census, of the 88 stars added since 2000, 3 of them were white dwarfs and the remaining 85 were M-class stars (also 32 planets and 49 brown dwarfs), so if you only care about A, F, G, and K stars you can pretty safely use an older data set.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:

EDIT-- Dammit. Hipparcos doesn't list the stellar class...
To amplify on a previous answer, I recommend that you start with the Extended Hipparcos compilation. Published in 2012, it consists of quality controlled position data from Hipparcos that has been carefully compiled with basically all the other data available in other catalogues.

XHIP has spectral classes and luminosities associated with Hipparcos position data. Also distance pre-calculated. Cartesian co-ordinates pre-calculated. Stellar ages where known. Metallicity where known. Star names. What constellation the star is in.

It also has a huge trove of stuff that you aren't interested in right now. Proper motions. Radial velocities. Space velocities in Cartesian co-ordinates. Elements of the star's orbit around the centre of the Galaxy. Number of known exoplanets. Type and range of variability.

I don't know why you might be having trouble, but if I navigate to http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/V...e=+V/137B/XHIP I can go to the "Preferences" pane in the column on the left, click on the drop-down menu next to "max:" where it says "50" and select "unlimited". Then in the drop-down menu where it says "HTML table" I click and select "tab-separated variables" or whatever. And under "Position in:" I click the radio button for "decimal". Then I go to the main body of the text and check the data I want included in my report in the square check-boxes. Distance is "Dist" in the second group of data. I click the round "sort" radio button to get the output sorted in distance from Sol. And in the "constraint" column next to "Dist" I put "0..13.3" to get only results within 13.3 pc (43.36 LY). Then click any of the "submit" buttons and the results are downloaded to my Downloads folder as a tab-separated-variables file called "asu.tsv".

It works for me, but the results are too much to include in a post here. I put a results file on DropBox in case that is useful.

I think you are going to have to add new discoveries since 2012 by hand to something — easier than adding luminosity and spectral type to any existing positional catalogue. And given that, I think an extract from XHIP is the best catalogue to add to.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, star catalog