Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2023, 04:55 AM   #21
Pursuivant

Default Re: Getting back into GURPS (Migrating to 4th?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, to start with, in 4/e the relation of ST to weight is different. A weight of 5 tons (the middle of the range you cite) gives a ST of 43 (because the cube of 43/2 is 9838). If we round up to ST 45, we get weight of 11,390 lbs., Basic Lift of 405 lbs., and thrust damage of 5d. That's probably the most important revision to be made in going from 3/e to 4/e.
The other huge difference is that 4E HP are based on ST, so the 4E T-Rex will have HP 45, vs. the 50-80 HP it would have had under GURPS 3E. Time to add Extra Hit Points.

Size is also slightly different under GURPS 4E: Size +4 or +5 for ~40 ft length.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:59 AM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
The other huge difference is that 4E HP are based on ST, so the 4E T-Rex will have HP 45, vs. the 50-80 HP it would have had under GURPS 3E. Time to add Extra Hit Points.
I"m not seeing that. I would just say that its HP under 3/e were too high.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:57 PM   #23
DangerousThing

Hi:

I've been using GURPS since the first edition. Though now my collection is pretty much pdf. I've never regretted switching to 4e.

I still use my large collection of "classic" 3e splat books. I've used Espionage, Black Ops, (among others) and the entire GURPS Traveller Classic line.

Even though there is only one 4e book (Interstellar War) in the GURPS Traveller line, I've never had a problem with using the 3e books. The conversion is easy.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:52 AM   #24
Densar

I also noticed that there are some notes and such in the Pyramid magazines for some of these migration. In particular, I saw that Pyramid #3/115 (not sure I understand the numbering of these?) is almost entirely dedicated to GURPS Technomancer's use in 4th edition, including new templates and such. Very nice and very useful. I don't know if other 3rd edition books got similar treatment, but useful when they do.

Last edited by Densar; 02-10-2023 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added hyperlink
Densar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:18 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densar View Post
] (not sure I understand the numbering of these?)
There have been 4 ages of Pyramid Magazine.

First was an actual paper magazine back in the 90s mostly. It had maybe 29 issues and these would now be numbered 1/1-29. Availability is probably poor and would mostly mean buying a used magazine from somebody.

Second was an online Pyramid magazine to which you subscribed on a yearly basis. When this ended subscribers were given a chance to download all the issues as one big file. I don't think you can legally get access now though there have been plans to harvest these issues for new PDFs.

The third age of Pyramid was as a regular magazine in pdf form that you bought by the issue. No new ones are being published now but all the old ones are for sale at Warehouse 23. These are the ones you see for sale marked 3/115 or whatever.

The Fourth age of Pyramid is as an intermittent pdf bundle of articles all addressing a theme. Also for sale at W23 and labeled 4/1, 4/2 and so on.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #26
Densar

Thanks for clarifying. I don't have any of the Pyramid magazines but did purchase the one I refer to above as a PDF. I had not realized that they had stopped (mostly) making them. I do have a handful of the old Roleplayer magazine on paper (they all seem available for free online), which I guess pre-dated the Pyramid magazines (the ones that I have are all from 1991).
Densar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:49 PM   #27
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
First was an actual paper magazine back in the 90s mostly. It had maybe 29 issues and these would now be numbered 1/1-29. Availability is probably poor and would mostly mean buying a used magazine from somebody.
They're available in PDF from Warehouse 23, at $6 each or $75 for the whole run of 30.

Roleplayer is also available in PDF, at $3 each, or $30 for the whole run, also of 30.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid #1, roleplayer