Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Is Yoga Hard or Very Hard?

One approach would be to have no techniques, but as with martial arts, to state that every 10 points you invest in the skill set enables you to buy a keen perk that simply isn't available to others. Most would be minor feats such Autotrance, a "half-level" of Breath-Holding that gives 1.5 times breath-holding duration, fire-walking, and Unusual Training perks granting limited access to skills like Body Control and Mental Strength. For those who've invested in some advantage that parallels the role of Trained by a Master – which could be any of Blessed, Illuminated, Reawakened, True Faith, or Visualization, depending on how you see the yoga – other perks might even be Special Exercises that cover siddhis up to an including such advantages as Flight.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #42
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj1976
Instead of making snyde remarks about how non-combat Styles wouldn't have a place in a book called Martial Arts, or making fun of legitimate questions by suggesting all kinds of strange-sounding titles likely to never see print, why not direct that talent and energy into something productive and on-topic, such as providing examples of how the Style structure could be used to represent packages of non-combat skills?
I'd like to vote for more snide remarks and witticisms, please. They're much more fun to read.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #43
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
Kromm and Dell'Orto took the opposite stance when writing GURPS Martial Arts. Sadly.
Yes. I was equally sad and disappointed that GURPS Powers didn't have vehicle creation rules. I mean, have you ever seen a comic book that didn't have cars and planes in it?

On the same topic, I really hope that an errata is coming to add job descriptions to GURPS High-Tech. I plan on using that sourcebook to run modern-day games, and in the modern day, people work. C'mon, that's a no-brainer.

See? I don't just ask for witticisms. I make them. I'm proactive.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty

I'd like to vote for more snide remarks and witticisms, please. They're much more fun to read.
And even so, I hardly think that the bottom half of this post or the entirety of this post are snide or unhelpful. I think those are solid suggestions and useful links.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #45
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
And even so, I hardly think that the bottom half of this post or the entirety of this post are snide or unhelpful. I think those are solid suggestions and useful links.
Now, now; the snide witticisms were mine, not yours. You were being helpful, while I was the one assuring people that Yoda was well hard.

As he is.

'arder than Vinnie Jones, even.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #46
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23
If the answer is Some, then I would be highly in favor of designing it as a style that can go in some hypothetical "Non-Combat Styles" pdf, for which I would be an enthusiastic costumer (or an even more enthusiastic contributor, designing styles may be one of my favorite GURPS related activities).
A GURPS Martial Arts Companion would be a neat PDF. It should contain writeups for Parkour Style and Stuntman Training style (and maybe historical and modern Ninpo as well), and lots on chi/or and yoga (especially as it pertains to non-combat activities, many of which are eminently relevant to action-adventure roleplaying gaming), and expanded rules for the Metabolism Control advantage. Or you could call it GURPS Mystic **** but that name sort of makes it difficult to squeeze Parkour and Stuntman Training in.

Also, the original GURPS Martial Arts had neat entries on buddhism and shaolin, and even running "amok". IIRC those were left out in the 4E book, in spite of the page count being twice as high.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #47
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
...I was the one assuring people that Yoda was well hard.

As he is.

'arder than Vinnie Jones, even.
Bang on.

Witticisms: Selected Three's Company quotes?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #48
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen

Also, the original GURPS Martial Arts had neat entries on buddhism and shaolin, and even running "amok". IIRC those were left out in the 4E book, in spite of the page count being twice as high.
No. All of the non-rules "color" was retained. The relevant text of the previous book of the same title was replaced with better-researched sections, but background content was not summarily dumped. What you're looking for won't be under the same headings, of course . . . this is a new book, not an incremental revision. Most of the sort of material you seek is either in the history sections of Chapter 1 or integrated into the style descriptions in Chapter 5.

If you read Martial Arts from cover to cover, you will find that there's actually more on the philosophical and meditative side of martial arts than in the last book to bear that title. Sections such as Monks and Martial Arts (p. 9), Religion, Philosophy, and Fists (p. 11), Mind Games (p. 130), Do vs. Jutsu (p. 148), External vs. Internal, Hard vs. Soft (p. 162), Marma (p. 169), Shaolin Traditions (p. 195), and The Quest for the Master (p. 248) let you get as mystical and as traditional as you want. You even get a monk template (p. 36).

However, we were unswerving in our quest to dilute the tired, clichéd "Asian secrets" view of martial arts, in order to better show that it's a single view among many, and that neither mysticism nor Asian culture need to feature in a martial-arts campaign. Thus, the text on going amok was folded into the more generally applicable Berserk and the Martial Arts (p. 179), and we added sections like Gladiators (p. 15), Yeomen Archers (p. 16), Fechtbücher and Traveling Masters (p. 17), The Purpose of Military Hand-to-Hand (p. 184), Mixed Martial Arts (p. 189), Cross-Cultural Encounters (p. 212), and War Is Hell (p. 248). All of this is "color," too.

The short version is that Martial Arts provides significantly more background, not less. I'd argue that you get more than twice as much, too, because in addition to doubling the word count, we replaced badly rambling and overwritten essays with concise ones. Of course, most of the additional material isn't about "Asian secrets," because that's a horrible cliché . . . We decided to make sure that fencers, gladiators, knights, marines, masters of defense, prizefighters, Vikings, and other warriors go their due as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #49
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
I guess necromancy of any flavour would fit right in. Also, demonology/demonolatry.
Nuclear bombs?

I don't think zombification would fit in. Pluto/Hades was very strict about not letting people out. IIRC he only let one person out.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #50
mjj1976
Banned

There've been many good points made (even the distracting jokes), but I see one underlying issue: Is GURPS capable of acting as a non-combat-oriented RPG? Honestly, I've never played in anything where combat wasn't a major part of the game, but I've read that there are some settings tailored more to romance and intrigue than swashbuckling (supposedly, Blue Rose, from what I've heard).

A gaming group that marginalizes combat would probably dump half the rules in the book. But what is there to replace it with? Sure, there are the bonuses and penalties mentioned with traits and skills, and a few examples of reaction rolls and fright checks, but in general GURPS seems to excel at providing game mechanics for determining damaging effects.

I don't think that GM creativity should be usurped by an official set of rules for determining such intangibilities as mood, interpersonal relations, and the plot effects of esoteric or metaphysical skills; yet without the fallback of combat, we can be left wondering exactly what "rules" we should use to "play" such a game.
mjj1976 is offline   Reply With Quote